How often do you eat out or at a cafe during the week?

As above.

When I first started driving (3 years ago) I would eat out every day of the week, more recently though I’d much rather pack pre cooked food for the week rather than eat the greasy orrible’ crap most places seem to serving. This week I’ve got pre cooked chicken fillets with sweet potatoes and veg. yes I will be eating the same thing every day :laughing:

If I’m on a night out, I do tend to park up with facilities, I always get the meal voucher even if it’s coming out of my pocket (we only get the first £20 back), so I’d eat in the MSA/truck stop, as for stopping in the day for lunch less than once a week - never.

If I’m not able to get to facilities I’ll stop at a garage with a super market attached and pick up some bits and rustle something up fresh pasta etc.

cook my own food fresh every night. either pork with a stir fry or steak with some boiled veg ect :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I dont. Once in a blue moon I’ll have a KFC and mow and again will have a bacon and egg sandwich from a snack van. I dont even eat the free food on the ferries most of the time, I cook my tea before I get on. Especially P&O Dublin - Liverpool, the food on those boats is horrendous.

One of our customers takes me to a restaurant when I’m loading there. Result! :sunglasses:

The Mrs makes me packed meals at weekend to put in fridge, I warm them up either on stove or microwave, but try and get a pub meal with a pint at least once a week.
Don’t do Euro any more at moment, but found a lot of the ferries, not all, done decent food on the whole, never been on the P&O Dublin that Luke is on about, but the Stenna one to Belfast was ok.

If I’m overnighting, I’ll have dinner or lunch. Other days my current wife makes me sandwiches.

She makes 'em really nice, but I’m really fed up with sandwiches :frowning:
Ungrateful or what? :blush:

Dave55:
Other days my CURRENT WIFE makes me sandwiches.

Do you call her that to keep her on her toes? :laughing:

I found the P&O ferrys food a bit of a mix up, nothing matched up right you’d get braised steak with rice instead of mash etc, but seatruck I thought that was brill steak with all the trimmings and a fry up in the morning but I usually had hard boiled eggs on toast and pinched some fruit for the day in Ireland :slight_smile:
All in all it was free so I ate it

Never use any café, always cook my own.

I don’t do nights out, but i try and avoid the canteen at work, a fry up for £1.28 is ok 1 day a week, but 3,4 or 5 days a week and the weight starts to pile on. I tend to try and stick to having a sandwich for lunch and that’s about it.

I never used to eat from cafes, snack vans and whatever after I worked out (a) how much it was adding up to over a week and (b) how much grease, fat and other undesirable stuff there was in there.

Pub or restaurant at least once a week. Friday is fish day so generally a chippy for a battered whale unless I am near a decent fish restaurant.
Rest of the week I either make something myself or just do a load of fruit in.

I only do maybe one or 2 nights out a week and even at that, it’s not every week. So everyday is a packed lunch. If I’m staying out I’ll try and get a dinner in a pub that night. The only day I don’t bring lunch is a Friday. I always get a fry up with chips around 12 or 1 on a Friday as a bit of a treat. Plus a fry on a Friday rhymes so it’s a must

When I first started long distance driving, we didn’t sleep in the truck. Generally I would eat three meals a day, and maybe a snack at tea time and supper before bed. I was an 11 stone 6 footer.

Overnight digs did not always do an evening meal, so it would be fish and chips, a film and a couple of pints in the evening. Breakfast was usually egg, bacon, tomatoes and a fried slice, with bread and butter and tea. Lunch in a cafe, would usually be whatever the ‘special’ was, and maybe some cake for tea.

I used to stay at least one night a week at Mrs Ramsden’s in Leeds, where the evening meal was always roast beef with roast potatoes, yorkshire pudding, and cabbage or peas. My favourite place for lunch was a cafe attached to a farm in Lincolnshire where they did a huge plate of home cured ham with two fresh eggs and a huge pile of chips.

I prepare fresh salads etc in cab but never cook. We aren’t allowed to where I work now anyway. If at one of our depots then I’ll use the kitchen facilities otherwise occasional KFC or chippy but usually pub grub most other times.

How do you guys keep your food fresh throughout the week.
I would want to prepare my food on weekend and be able to keep it chilled over the five days I’m away, but how do you do this, most lorries are not equipped with coolers, chillers, fridges.
I don’t need a freezer, just a simple cooler that would keep my food, bread, meat, veggies, fruits, fresh from Monday to Friday.
A cooler with ice bricks in it would be good idea, but ice bricks melt within a day, especially summer time, so what do you do then?

SO what’s ya bank balance like and mores the point is your waist line above 40 "… You should do a week of eating healthy in the cab and a week of eating out… then compare the cost…

Once in a blue moon if fine… but in moderation

If I’m on nights out (one a week unless it’s my turn on London roster) I’ll eat at a proper cafe unless a bakery makes me my tea. I’ll never eat at a roadside rat van.

Although retired from trucking, I find that most truckstops offer good food. My favourite still is Langrick Station Cafe near Boston.