How much experience to drive for supermarkets?

Tesco, Sainbury’s, Asda etc. I’m going to go ahead and guess they don’t accept new passers so how much experience do you think they’d want to see before taking you on?

Are class 1 jobs for these companies highly sought after with a lot of competition? Whenever I go to their website they almost always have C+E vacancies.

As I understand, most of the supermarket runs involve a lot of waiting around

Aldi and Lidl, not so much as you unload your own truck I believe.

Parcel companies are dead around me, so I’ll be looking for an agency that does supermarket runs in Sussex and Surrey (Ideally around the A23, A22 and A24 corridoors)

Hyh:
As I understand, most of the supermarket runs involve a lot of waiting around

Absolutely fine by me as long as I’m getting paid. Perfect time to read a few chapters of a book, play a few online games of chess or just chill and watch Youtube.

Tesco do take on new passes and will train you on reversing and such things for a week or so before letting you loose. I personally hate store deliveries as you are basically just a loader with a hgv licence. However if you want that kind of work then go for it. My biggest pet hate of tesco is that they double strap every row of cages all the way down the trailer without fail and it seriously drags on.

Asda is pretty much the same from what i’ve done, unloading yourself and loading back up with empty pallets etc. Bit of a better atmosphere than tesco, also they strap loads normally with 1 strap and a bar at the back. Not too sure if they take on new passes although its probably worth phoning them to ask.

Only ever done asda and tesco and they do everything short of driving the thing for you, you really don’t have to think about anything which is partially why i hate the work with a passion but as a new pass experience is experience, pay is ok and the days aren’t long.

Also cue the people mistaking driving for supermarkets with rdc work. Delivering to RDC’s is just sitting on your arse apart from aldi and lidl because apparently overweight me reluctantly on a electric pallet truck is quicker than a trained flt driver. Driving for supermarkets is actually taking their trailers and delivering to shops. Unless i’m the numpty and op wants to just deliver to rdc’s in which case there’s plenty of companies taking on new passes that do rdc work.

Best thing to do if you see vacancies is simply to apply, the worst that can happen is they say no. You might get lucky though so it’s always worth going for if that’s what you want to do

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

TruckerWannabe123:
1] Tesco, Sainbury’s, Asda etc. I’m going to go ahead and guess they don’t accept new passers so how much experience do you think they’d want to see before taking you on?

2] Are class 1 jobs for these companies highly sought after with a lot of competition? Whenever I go to their website they almost always have C+E vacancies.

I do food chain work… which I’ll explain after answering your post.
1] You guess wrong. The 3 you have mentioned certainly take new passes and will have a good training programme. Enthusiasm is the key requirement. The dread of reversing is probably on your mind. Aldi Atherstone have a good driver trainer as I have watched them on my visits there. One new driver told me he’s having a couple weeks in the yard shunting with a unit before going out… he had some awkward jobs clearly assigned to him - several bays there are very awkward. As I learnt… practice, practice, practice makes perfect - and it’s hard work. But it gets easier as each day goes by.

2] Mostly depends on money. It is fair to say that there is a fair turn over of staff for many different reasons. e.g. a tramper may decide he/she does not want to do it any more as they’ve had a new arrival in the family, just want a change etc.

MegaHips:
… Also cue the people mistaking driving for supermarkets with rdc work. Delivering to RDC’s is just sitting on your arse apart from aldi and lidl because apparently overweight me reluctantly on a electric pallet truck is quicker than a trained flt driver. Driving for supermarkets is actually taking their trailers and delivering to shops…

If you work for supermarkets you will collect from the RDC and take to shops although there will be also RDC to RDC work as the food chain is arranged. The challenge in the job will be certain shops with poor facilities e.g. in the SE and manoeuvring will be fun! London especially - but you didn’t get a C+E for nothing :smiley:

I work for the ‘rural’ side of the food chain so to speak. I collect food, flowers, etc from nurseries, packing firms, and take it back to my depot for re-distribution, also taking from my depot to RDCs which is sometimes one load or a multi-drop. I enjoy it because it is quite varied - at nurseries, packing firms - some bays fine, others designed especially for a lovely blind reverse along a wall… but no worries others have got in there before… but probably sweated a bit like me in the process :laughing:.

RDCs do vary and between the same supermarket. Aldi used to expect drivers to unload but now after an accident I believe Aldi staff have to do it. I don’t do much sitting around - most RDCs it’ll be a 30 min wait… they are pretty good unloading which is convenient for a 30 min break after a 3-4 hour drive so I find it works quite well. Only a few have kept me for 4-5 hours but I think that was when I was working nights. I often take a 15min break enroute and then a 30min on the bay so it works quite well most of the time.

The other part of RDC work is the warehouse/storage requirement where one collects from storage and takes to the RDC. Ambient stuff is put into warehousing for storage from suppliers and then taken to the RDC when required.

Hope I have helped you and clarified the food chain business a little. If no luck applying but you like the thought of this work then find out who does sub-contracting work in your area. Small firms with several units often do this work at peak periods during the year but would also give you experience in other business.

MegaHips:
Only ever done asda and tesco and they do everything short of driving the thing for you, you really don’t have to think about anything which is partially why i hate the work with a passion but as a new pass experience is experience, pay is ok and the days aren’t long.

Delivering to RDC’s is just sitting on your arse

You act like these are bad things? Personally having others do all the loading / unloading and strapping is music to my ears. Like I said as long as i’m getting paid the same hourly wage I couldn’t care less if I wait 30 minutes between drops or 4 hours… I’d happily read my book, watch some of my favourite tv episodes, play some games of chess online or even take a nap. I’d certainly that then rushing from store to store and doing all the manual work myself getting home after absolutely knackered.

Also the thing I think I’d enjoy about Tesco is the load is the same everyday (ir a trailer), you’ll probably visit the same places regularly so you get to know the people there and the routes, and lastly what better place to take a 45 minute lunch break than Tesco lol. Unless you’re not allowed to leave your truck while it’s being loaded and head up into the staff cafe area?

TruckerWannabe123:

MegaHips:

Delivering to RDC’s is just sitting on your arse

You act like these are bad things? Personally having others do all the loading / unloading and strapping is music to my ears. Like I said as long as i’m getting paid the same hourly wage I couldn’t care less if I wait 30 minutes between drops or 4 hours… I’d happily read my book, watch some of my favourite tv episodes, play some games of chess online or even take a nap. I’d certainly that then rushing from store to store and doing all the manual work myself getting home after absolutely knackered.

Also the thing I think I’d enjoy about Tesco is the load is the same everyday (ir a trailer), you’ll probably visit the same places regularly so you get to know the people there and the routes, and lastly what better place to take a 45 minute lunch break than Tesco lol. Unless you’re not allowed to leave your truck while it’s being loaded and head up into the staff cafe area?

Seems to me you would like it. Thing is about C+E one has a wider choice of jobs than C. Although when delivering to shops you would most likely be doing the unloading. Full artic trailer can be a couple of hours even with an electric pallet truck but more often what takes the time is putting the load in different places. I’m starting a new job on Monday and will be doing more unloading with Aldi but working 5+3 and a day rate which I prefer.

From the conversation I had today - I’d say there has never been a better time to visit an RDC and ask to see the driver trainer. No experience won’t be an issue - you’ll soon get some PDQ :smiley:

Ive been working for Tesco on the agency for 4 months with no complaints from Tesco at all about my performance. I applied for a perm vacancy 3 weeks ago and still havent had an interview. They obviously arent desperate for drivers.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I think being able to spell HGV is probably enough experience to get a job driving retail at the minute!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

DarrenaMorris:
Ive been working for Tesco on the agency for 4 months with no complaints from Tesco at all about my performance. I applied for a perm vacancy 3 weeks ago and still havent had an interview. They obviously arent desperate for drivers.

Well I don’t know if other folk have had the same experiences as me but agency to perm NEVER happens. Allegedly after 12(or 13 I forget which) weeks one has a right to be made permanent according to government legislation. I’ve had several jobs for 11 weeks that I would have liked to have become permanent but in week 11 according to the agency there’s been a complaint or whatever and ‘I am no longer required’.

“Temp to Perm” just doesn’t seem to happen. A while back an agency would charge a fee to ‘release you’ from their employment… bit laughable to say the least. This changed with the 12/13 week rule… as they in return had 12/13 weeks commission from you.

Some employers like councils have folk on agency for 2-3 years - so what goes on I don’t know. I worked for a company through agency for 6 months and when I raised the permanent job issue I received NO work from the agency again… no luck with my direct application either. I think agencies build up relationships with firms and that’s how it is… don’t want to tread on each other’s toes.

All I am saying is don’t “pin your hopes” too high. Keep a clean slate and apply elsewhere grateful for the experience they have given you. When elsewhere offer you a job you can go back and raise the issue but tbh it doesn’t seem to make any difference… I’ve tried in the past.

I understand what you’re saying. Its silly really as the agency are obviously potentially losing me to a permanent position so its of no interest to them to discourage Tesco from employing me as they are going to lose me anyways. Additionally, Tesco have a vacancy that needs filling and who better to employ, than somebody that is already fully trained and checked with months of experience in the position?

Anyhow, its all irrelevant now because Ive just learned that IR35 has been posponed to 2021 and LTD rates are going up as from next week, so Im sticking with the agency

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk