Advice for newish driver

Hi new here so hello, I passed my HGV Class 1 and 2 back in 2006, i had about 4 years experience driving class 2 tanker lorries, which finished in 2012, since then ive had 2 jobs im currently driving for asda as a home shopping driver, which is a shockingly ■■■■ job, lifting heavy boxes of groceries up stairs to people, when im at the depot i see the guys coming in with stores deliveries thinking i’ve got that llicence why the hell am i doing this when i could be doing that!?

Does anyone know how i could get into stores deliveries for asda , bear in mind although i have held my class 1 licence for 8 years i have zero experience driving them, is there a refresher course i could do, any job ive ever seen for class 1 work is always minimum experience 6 months required, how the ■■■ do i get the experience then if every company wants it? :confused:

Ive also only done 7 hours cpc anyone know how much it’ll cost me to finish it, cheers guys.

Some driving schools have “proper” artics and will arrange a refresher course for you. You may also get some driver cpc out of it depending on the trainers’ course approvals.

Expect to pay anywhere IRO £200 - £350 to complete the driver cpc.

Where are you?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Speak with the transept manager at your place see if you can get an assesment for the store deliveries as all have to do an assesment if pass then you might be in

Yep, if you’re currently driving for Asda then surely that’s the first line of enquiry…they know you, so maybe they’ll give you a break even as a Class 1 rookie. Sometimes it’s better to take a chance with someone you know and trust than a stranger, however qualified they may be.

Failing that you might have to drop your home delivery job and take a chance with agency work for a couple of years to build that magic ‘experience’.

If you’re lucky you may land a permanent job instead - there may be a few companies around you willing to take a chance.

Don’t give up hope, you’re well on the way to making it happen. Get you CPC up to date as Pete says, then with a bit of effort (and luck) you should find things turn your way. Good luck! :slight_smile:

thanks for the input, cheers guys

Hi,

I was a Store Manager for a Supermarket for 10 years and decided to transfer to a depot(already had my license but had very little experience), had to take an assessment and was very honest right from the start, passed that and have now been in transport for over 7 months now and love it, no where near as much stress as running a store. Don’t ask Don’t get.