How many hauliers started with these old Bedfords

Harry Goodwill June 1944, & he is still about, well into retirement mind you, But still remembers the good old Bedford days, he ran nothing else, Regards Larry

With courtesey of the Blackett Family.

My old man drove an OW Bedford with a rag top for Ferguson Television in the late fifties doing shop deliveries, he used to let me ride in the back, can you see that allowed today?, my first lorry was an O type Bedford tipper early sixties, petrol engine good old motor but didn’t like stopping.

Ossie

Father’s first new lorry after the war, early 1946.
Bernard

albion1938:
Bernard

Nice photo, an earley curtainsider Eh, Great stuff, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

albion1938:
Bernard

Nice photo, an earley curtainsider Eh, Great stuff, Regards Larry.

It’s a shame the picture’s damaged, but you can see enough. The back part of the canvas tilt, you can see a moulding holding it down, was loose and could be rolled forward for overhead loading of heavy items such as boilers, using a block and tackle on a gantry. By the way, everybody thinks the flat bonnet/tinwork on the wartime Bedfords was for economy/ease of construction, but the main reason was that the civvy O types only had a little gauze air filter on top of the carb, the military needed a big oil bath filter for off road/desert use, there wasn’t room under the civilian bonnet, hence the square military front to make room, and to standardise, the few civvy vehicles released had the same front end. The body on the Bedford in the picture was heavily modified in 1955 into a box van, and fitted to a new series 3 Austin, picture attached, have a close look at the headboard and you can see it’s the same framing!

Bernard

Early one from E BUTLER & SONS (MALTBY) OET 136? Fred bagley & son.Pic copyright of Geoff,freds son.

Not sure if this a Bedford. Perhaps Larry or someone can help.

looks like an austin to me , but not sure of the vintage

Definately an Austin…Or a Birmingham Bedford as they were sometimes known :wink:

These two tippers were used on coal haulage & agg lime in the Ponteland area, Photo with the ciurtesey of Jennifer Young, Regards Larry.

Seen over the pit at C W Griffiths & Sons workshop.

Bedford Drivers Club insurance policy from 1938

Seen at a show in the early nineties…

Does anyone know if she’s still about or any history?

Does anyone know if she’s still about or any history?

[/quote]
You would think its still about,surely nobody would have the heart to cut it up. :frowning:
Here’s a couple from Ireland,note the absence of a rear mudguard and rear light bracket,
on the flat,although it looks like a staged shot so probably in for repair :wink:. The Bedford’s
probably long gone,but wonder if the tractor survived.Old calendar pic’s.not very good quality.
Mike.

IMG_0017 (640x411) (2).jpg

IMG_0018 (640x442).jpg

Have to include this pic of my late Dad taken during WW2 in North Africa at the wheel of a Bedford. He was lorry driver for years and years but ended up a fitter. He said Bedford’s were a sensible lorry, easy to repair and reliable.

My Grandad had a few in the early days … H.E.MUSGROVE & SONS LTD (STAMFORD LINCS)

W Jones removals this was taken in water st port talbot my mate Johnny brimfield (rip) drove this as a youngster ,this firm finished in the nineties they were 90 years old the firm was I started as a kid in the 80;s niel had bedfords and fords on christie Tyler and remploy

2017-07-02 12.59.54.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

jaymus:
My Grandad had a few in the early days … H.E.MUSGROVE & SONS LTD (STAMFORD LINCS)

I park up my Albion on that spot every year for the Stamford Car Show.
Bernard