Ex Army WW2 Lorries in the 50's & 60's

Ex Army Pacific Wynns.JPG

sammyopisite:
The most famous ex WW2 motor which still ran into the 70s was the “Pacific” s which Wynns Heavy Haulage ran around half a dozen and they were worked hard and probably were the single reason why Wynns became such a force in heavy haulage. I will look for some photos and post them later
cheers Johnnie

Like This One johnnie? Cheers Chris.

Ex WD Bedford, Smiles for Miles had several of these motors, Regards Larry.

Hey,

Hey, nice to see here a move again, here some Belgians and a restored with GM tank Sherman engine and still one waiting restoration, shorten 891 as a tractor with Mack drive axle.
Child memories, the Diamond T with a ■■■■■■■ HRF in it.
What a warm cab in summer and soundless cab as it was shut down :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Eric,

Hey, an other Henschel engined Mack.

VOSA control :smiley: :slight_smile: :laughing:

Eric,

Many ex military trucks were used in the early post war lime spreading, heres a GMC CCKW 6x6 used by Alan Lock

6273695668_25fd90cebb_b.jpg

Diamond T tractors were used well in to the late 1980s and some are still kept for the winch performance, Heres a recovery converted by Vass with a TFL crane

les freathy:
Many ex military trucks were used in the early post war lime spreading, heres a GMC CCKW 6x6 used by Alan Lock

Great photo, The Reg of the Vehicle is 1946 Registered in Kent, Keep them coming great stuff from the past, Regards Larry.

DB earthmoving made good site use of this ex army Bedford M type

6294825013_06274b2a16_b.jpg

Ex army Thornycroft Big Ben tractor converted to recovery with a Diamond T body and Harvey Frost 8 ton crane

15cwt Morris 4x4 converted to a breakdown truck and a FWD used by a showman for a power truck

11888574295_3205af0794_b.jpg

While waiting to be old enough in 1969 to drive the Leyland Comet I’d bought, I worked in the wood for my Uncle, a timber merchant in the Scottish Borders.

He had an ex army Bedford with a jib on the back to load and pull trees from the wood. I drove it at every opportunity.

In 1970, he bought a Madator with a hydraulic crane with the grab on it. By then I had my truck, but you know how it was, you just had to drive any piece of machinery!

Can’t remember what engine was in it, but it drove me mad. With one of those cranes, all you want is a constant speed form the engine to load the timber. It didn’t matter how still you held the throttle, it would suddenly start revving its balls off. Then you’d ease it back 1/10th of an inch and the revs would die completely!

Never did get the hang of the perfect throttle position.

Hey, Nice without right mirrors.

Eric,

Old WW2 Canadian CMP in another life as a lime spreader

Ex army AEC Militant gun tractor in a new life in the Timber industry

tiptop495:
Hey, Nice without right mirrors.

Eric,

Looks like a Mack NR in Belgium perhaps

A couple of Matadors in a new life the crane is a Hyster, anyone care to identify the company that converted the tipper

6464627695_fa895894e8_b.jpg