Ex Army WW2 Lorries in the 50's & 60's

This has had a cab modification for civvy street, Regards Larry.

This one has had a heart transplant, What a nice motor IMO, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
This one has had a heart transplant, What a nice motor IMO, Regards Larry.0

You can tell the Perkins engined ones, even if the symbol is missing, by the higher bonnet line and extended front grille panel. Was that a Bedford mod or did somebody sell the front panel etc as a kit of parts?

Pete.

Nice VOSA control Eric

But what is Winston Churchill doing there? :open_mouth:

David

Lawrence Dunbar:
This one has had a heart transplant, What a nice motor IMO, Regards Larry.0

Woodhouse & Rixson used to run one these well into the 1970s moving forgings local between there place and Turton & Platts ( which could have been the same firm )
cheers Johnnie

Paul Griffiths bought this one a few years back.

Dave the Renegade:

Paul Griffiths bought this one a few years back.

Very nice old Bedford, 1945 Radnor CC,Regards Larry.

David Miller:
Nice VOSA control Eric

But what is Winston Churchill doing there? :open_mouth:

David

Sorry haven’t seen him because of no right mirror. :smiley:
Made from peaces of Mack and Diamond.

eric,

He’s probably on a tax payer-funded cigar run. :unamused:

Bedford QL tanker

10641183_707424299331952_2539965034825713085_n.jpg

Dodge D60

We had one of these beasts when I was a lad at the AEC Newcastle dealership (although not this one), the Mk I Militant along with the later Mk’s were snatched up by the transport industry for wreckers, many had been gun tractors and must have gave sterling service, I loved going out in ours.

James Bacon from Blackley, Manchester had a few ex W.D. lorries operating in the late sixties. Hopefully John Stansfield will be able to show some photos of them on this thread. :smiley:

IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0230.JPG

[attachment=0]WnW_Quad.jpg[/attachment

The garage I was apprenticed at used one of these Morris-Commercial quads as a breakdown truck, it had a crane and a solid tyred dollie and did sterling work. Getting into and out of it was fun, the seats were fitted to the petrol tanks and twin SU electric pumps were on the dash and over the passengers legs!

Pete.

Both Atcost and Tyler buildings used what they called Quads with a small lattice boom to tow caravans to the sites and to do some of the erection work. Unless they had been considerably modified then they were not Morris Quads, they had a much shorter bonnet, perhaps they were Chevrolets? IIRC the radiator sloped backwards.

windrush:
[attachment=0]WnW_Quad.jpg[/attachment

The garage I was apprenticed at used one of these Morris-Commercial quads as a breakdown truck, it had a crane and a solid tyred dollie and did sterling work. Getting into and out of it was fun, the seats were fitted to the petrol tanks and twin SU electric pumps were on the dash and over the passengers legs!

Pete.

Pete, I know exactly where you’re coming from:
It must have been 1962 when the garage I worked at had one of these things. I don’t really know why the boss bought it- it was ever taken out!
One day he popped off to the cash & carry, leaving instructions to me and the other chap who passed our days there to chuck some batteries on it and “warm it up”.
We got the old dear running then I (all of sixteen years old) spent the next hour running it up and down the forecourt teaching my mate (21 years) how to change gear.
Happy days! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Old AEC Matador at work