Ex Army WW2 Lorries in the 50's & 60's

Both Atcost and Tyler buildings used what they called Quads with a small lattice boom to tow caravans to the sites and to do some of the erection work. Unless they had been considerably modified then they were not Morris Quads, they had a much shorter bonnet, perhaps they were Chevrolets? IIRC the radiator sloped backwards.
cav551
The Morris Quads were mostly replaced by the Canadian built or CMP (Canadian Military Pattern) Quads by the time of the Desert War in WWII. These were built by Ford and Chevrolet and differed externally very little, the difference being the front vents, the way the front crash bar was fitted and the mesh grilles. Engines also differed too, a Straight 6 in the Chevy and a V8 in the Ford. The first type had a flatter screen and the later type had the sloping screen this was to avoid enemy aircraft spotting sun reflections from the screens. These little workhorses did indeed find much in the way of civilian work after their service life along with the various wheel base length GS bodied CMP’s. Both Ford types shown below. Cheers Franky.

01.jpg

5327969193_c8805e6070_z.jpg

DISPATCHER:
Old AEC Matador at work

Hiya,
Cut my teeth on the old AEC Matadors from 18 to 20 when doing
National Service but on my return to “Civvy Street” i was still too
young to drive lorries and had to go back in the pits until age 21
a case the world gone mad but you had to grin and bear it.
thanks harry, long retired.

A few.
Oily

MOD cr Charles01 cc by sa 3.0 Bedford_QL_Breakdown_truck_1945_2800_charles01cc.jpg

MOD Ashley Perkins cc by nc nd 2.0 11873466236_d268a2deb9 ap _o.jpg

How many of you remember the ex World War Two Army lorries that were converted and used on haulage.I remember quite a few GMC six wheelers turned into lime spreaders,coming to the quarries and collecting lime,then spreading it with their six wheel drive.Also the Chevrolet,not forgetting loads of Bedford’s and Austin’s used in various forms on haulage.

Hiya…Dave you missed out the Diamond T famous for the pickfords/wynn,s heavy haulage and wreckers that stood outside
almost every lorry recovery garage. the mighty pioners with the coffee pot rad plus the logging matadors all put to good
use after WW2.
John

plenty of ww2 lorries around buxton dave , hillhead quarries had gmc 6x6s on the spreading , & out of season they took the spinner boxes off & fitted discharge chutes for castleford glassworks run . sam longson had a large number of bedford a,o & ql 4x4 ex army motors . there are loads of them on the peak district thread . adam lythgoe ran a big fleet of canadian fords on lime spreading as well . i kept the makers plate off a gmc for many years , made in 1942 & still going strong in the early 60s , but by then the engines had been replaced with perkins p6 s . i have seen them spreading on banksides that you would struggle to walk up . cheers , dave

3300John:
Hiya…Dave you missed out the Diamond T famous for the pickfords/wynn,s heavy haulage and wreckers that stood outside
almost every lorry recovery garage. the mighty pioners with the coffee pot rad plus the logging matadors all put to good
use after WW2.
John

hiya,
Don’t know when the forces stopped using the AEC Matadors but i was still driving them in 1956 in the Far East don’t know whether any of those ever made it back to the UK or not but they was still running well when i came home.
thanks harry long retired.

I remember when Birds Eye foods first started in the late forties,they had Ex Army Dodges (RHD) petrol lorries.They were painted in a dark maroon with a little Birds Eye logo on the side. :slight_smile: 900x20.

As some of you say I missed quite a few names off the list,bit if I had put them on,there wouldn’t be so much for others to comment about.
Harry we had an ex army AEC Matador on Brisbane’s,it came off Davies of Bucknell the timber hauliers,it was a 4x4 with a winch and boom.I would say that it was a WW2 motor. As far as I know though that had a diesel engine,whereas the other WW2 had petrol engines.
Cheers Dave.

harry_gill:

3300John:
use after WW2.
John

hiya,
Don’t know when the forces stopped using the AEC Matadors but i was still driving them in 1956 in the Far East don’t know whether any of those ever made it back to the UK or not but they was still running well when i came home.
thanks harry long retired.

Hi Harry, we had a Matador (no bull) at our camp and I can remember going to Cardington in Bedfordshire (where they built the R101 airships :laughing: ) to collect a load of gas cylinders and that was in 1968/69.

Now I come to think of it we also had a Leyland Hippo :slight_smile: and an A.E.C. Matador aircraft refueller that went on detachment to Duxford for a couple of months to be used in the film The Battle Of Britain.

Regards Steve.

we had am ex army Bedford QL and an ex RAF Karrier Spider as wreckers in 1960.

Although in the late 60’s not 50’s,my first job was for an excavation company called S L Robinson’s of Cheadle Hulme,Cheshire.

They had bought a job lot of Matadors from the MOD,we completely stripped the 6 wheel tippers down,new body,new cab and they went out to work,probably had something like a dozen or so,they"did exactly what they said on the tin"

Rgds,

David :laughing:

The most famous ex WW2 motor which still ran into the 70s was the “Pacific” s which Wynns Heavy Haulage ran around half a dozen and they were worked hard and probably were the single reason why Wynns became such a force in heavy haulage. I will look for some photos and post them later
cheers Johnnie

Hi Johnnie,
Only just thought about it,after reading your last post.A mate’s dad worked for Wynn’s of Newport.I will ask him if he had any pics.
Cheers Dave.

sammyopisite:
The most famous ex WW2 motor which still ran into the 70s was the “Pacific” s which Wynns Heavy Haulage ran around half a dozen and they were worked hard and probably were the single reason why Wynns became such a force in heavy haulage. I will look for some photos and post them later
cheers Johnnie

Now then Johnnie your talking Premiership outfits here—not the Blue Square Conference that Pickfords were in-------------woosh bang----was that an in-coming shell that wizzed overhead? I’m off into the Anderson!!!Dennis.

Bewick:

sammyopisite:
cheers Johnnie

Now then Johnnie your talking Premiership outfits here—not the Blue Square Conference that Pickfords were in-------------woosh bang----was that an in-coming shell that wizzed overhead? I’m off into the Anderson!!!Dennis.

Dennis when I was at “Pickfords” they had an excellent relationship with Wynns ( well Sheffield depot did ) we often double headed each other and any break downs in each others area they would help out we once ran out of steam going up a hill near Cross Hands south Wales and a Wynns Diamond “T” came and gave us a pull over the top and we gave Wynns a helping hand round our neck of the woods but I think that was the relationship between Ted Fitzpatrick and Percy Wynn and the drivers got on well as I met a few in later years and they remembered me 20 years later one lad (ex Wynns) was on “Sainsbury’s Lowfield” Middleton when I was on “Sainsburys” Exel Rotherham and he came up to me as he had been at Trafford Park probably because I have one of those faces that once seen never forgotten. :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :unamused:
cheers Johnnie

sammyopisite:

Bewick:

sammyopisite:
cheers Johnnie

Dennis when I was at “Pickfords” they had an excellent relationship with Wynns ( well Sheffield depot did ) we often double headed each other and any break downs in each others area they would help out we once ran out of steam going up a hill near Cross Hands south Wales and a Wynns Diamond “T” came and gave us a pull over the top and we gave Wynns a helping hand round our neck of the woods but I think that was the relationship between Ted Fitzpatrick and Percy Wynn and the drivers got on well as I met a few in later years and they remembered me 20 years later one lad (ex Wynns) was on “Sainsbury’s Lowfield” Middleton when I was on “Sainsburys” Exel Rotherham and he came up to me as he had been at Trafford Park probably because I have one of those faces that once seen never forgotten. :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :unamused:
cheers Johnnie

Fair play Johnnie,you was born the right side of the Pennines :laughing: .

sammyopisite:

Bewick:

sammyopisite:
cheers Johnnie

cheers Johnnie

I know what your saying Johnnie mate—couldn’t resist the “dig”! I bet there was some “heavy” lumps moved whenever a Pickfords/Sunters/Wynns crews came across one another in the digs!!!And I bet the lumps got even heavier and the bank got steeper near closing time? Cheers Dennis.

Dennis those 1 in 2s in the pub were very steep but funny enough we could never find when sober :laughing: and I didn’t spill me whiskey as I am only on Pepsi tonight :blush:

Dave I was born in the war in Cambridgeshire but my parents moved to Sheffield around 1947 and they can’t get shut of me :wink: :laughing: Sheffield I mean :laughing:
cheers Johnnie