How has it improved

newmercman:
Which threads have been locked and who has had anything removed recently? That’s a question to anyone who cares to answer btw.

Only one member could answer that in the positive, although he would have to set up yet another alternate account to do so.

You are all free to post whatever you like, as long as it doesn’t break site rules, it will be there for all eternity, it really doesn’t get any simpler than that, it matters not if you’re on premod or free to post at will, if its within the rules, it goes up for all to see.

If you feel neutered by this, then the problem lies within, you can’t blame the moderators/admins for everything, although you are entitled to, as long as it’s done following the rules.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Maoster’s ’ Infestation ’ thread got locked on Monday.

Quite surprised that you didn’t know, considering that you were heavily involved in it…

UKtramp:
The point beaver is making is very much valid, it appears that if you just be yourself and express yourself in a way or manner that the mods do not approve of (breaking the rules or not) then you are likely to end up either “been shown the door” or at the very least having your cards marked. This to some, is not only seen in a negative way but actually is like walking on egg shells and carefully replying with an answer or post that pleases the mods rather than being honest and quite possibly being justified. Which ever way you look at it, it is censorship that has gone out of proportion to the wrong people. The “troll hunter” types are still running a mock, the better posters are weary and may as well be or made to feel that they are on pre mod themselves. Just my thoughts and observation, but it is becoming this way.

Agreed UKtramp.

I’d say that both you and Eagerbeaver have made valid points.

Just so you don’t think me ignorant, I’m a bit occupied just now, so you’ll both have answers from me later this evening. :smiley:

It got locked because it was a broken record and locking it saved it from becoming more heated, but everyone had ample opportunity to comment before it was locked and you and UKtramp did just that.

I don’t know why you’re walking on eggshells, neither of you have had anything censored to the best of my knowledge, as long as its within the rules, which basically consist of common courtesy and civility, nothing will ever get removed.

In your cases, you’re both more than capable of making worthwhile contributions to threads, why don’t you concentrate on that?

Just popping in again lads, my earlier post was alchohol induced so had to re-read it for self critique. (So many alters so little meds).

Pretty much agree with what we stated earlier to a point and feel it’s a shame we may have lost freight dog because of the infestation thread.

Rikki popping up to lock the thread when the controversial stuff past ‘premod’ checks was ironic perhaps even deliberate but I found it amusing.

Anyway in the end it doesn’t really matter no poster is bigger than the forum so crack the whip for now, give it time and things will settle down.

Out of respect for Rikki and the mod team this is my last post on this thread but that don’t mean bugger all in the scheme of things.

That’s the way it should be Dave, it’s in the past, leave it there and move on. As the other Dave has said, good points have been made during both the feedback thread and this one and I’m sure it will all work out for the best in the future.

As the saying goes, you can’t make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

eagerbeaver:
Then again though, the ’ new ’ sanitised TNUK doesn’t really accomodate members having an opinion contrary to the officers in charge. I assume it’s not just me that can see how most posters now are wary about their comments?..

Eagerbeaver, sorry mate, but that’s simply not true.

You and anybody else can have any opinion you like, you or they can express it on TNUK provided it complies with forum rules.

If anybody wishes to write ‘other’ stuff, swear and call people names, then there might be other websites that cater for those tastes.

For instance, you and I agree on some things, but we differ on others.
For my 2p worth, you and I could call each other all kinds of names, but I doubt it would alter either of our opinions. :bulb:

It’s the trolls and all the school playground stuff that’s being sanitised, the petty name calling, the posting just to cause trouble and get a reaction followed by more name calling etc etc. The childish stuff.

As for the locking of threads… Threads get locked for several reasons, but the one I think you referred to had served its purpose and went on to need baby-sitting, so it had to be locked.

:bulb: It’s usually in the hands of the posters as to whether a thread gets locked.

UKtramp:
The point beaver is making is very much valid, it appears that if you just be yourself and express yourself in a way or manner that the mods do not approve of (breaking the rules or not) then you are likely to end up either “been shown the door” or at the very least having your cards marked.

I’ve answered Eagerbeaver’s valid post, and here’s my answer to your valid post.

:bulb: I’d say that the notion you described is that of somebody who either hasn’t read the forum rules, or has not understood them, or thinks that they can please themselves.

UKtramp:
This to some, is not only seen in a negative way but actually is like walking on egg shells and carefully replying with an answer or post that pleases the mods rather than being honest and quite possibly being justified.

People can post in any way they like, as long as it’s within the forum rules.

I can fully agree with you if “pleases the mods” means the same thing as posting within the forum rules.

You’ve said “honest and quite possibly being justified” so I’d say that an example of such a post is this very post from your good self.
Whether it pleases me in the other sense of the word is irrelevant, it’s within the forum rules and therefore none of the mods would have a problem with it.

I’m using the next part as an example of disagreeing, but well within the forum rules…

UKtramp:
Which ever way you look at it, it is censorship that has gone out of proportion to the wrong people.

Please note that there is no reference to the person… what you’ve written is complete crap.

It’s complete crap because you cannot point out where there has been any “censorship” that is outside of the forum rules, nor can you show an instance of where the forum rules have been incorrectly applied to “the wrong people.”

:bulb: If you’re thinking of answering this point, please have a read of the forum rules first, otherwise you might run the risk of making your next post look quite silly. (No mention of the person, or name-calling etc.)

UKtramp:
The “troll hunter” types are still running a mock, the better posters are weary and may as well be or made to feel that they are on pre mod themselves. Just my thoughts and observation, but it is becoming this way.

I think you might agree that this ‘troll hunting’ has been happening to a lesser extent just lately, probably because it was pointed out in another post and the Team took it on board.
Equally probable, is that there’s a little less prey for them to hunt now. :wink:

See how your thoughts and observations are taken when they’re expressed within the forum rules?
Was anything you said “censored” even if I didn’t personally agree with some of it?
Were you offered the door for expressing yourself within the forum rules as you did?

:bulb: Posting/commenting/arguing/questioning on TNUK is quite easy once people get the notion that there’s a set of rules.
The vast majority of posters already understand this, but we realise that some other posters might need extra assistance in understanding that notion than others. That extra assistance is included in the service, and all for free!! :smiley:

newmercman:
It got locked because it was a broken record and locking it saved it from becoming more heated, but everyone had ample opportunity to comment before it was locked and you and UKtramp did just that.

Thing is though NM, it was pure ‘feedback’ on guess what…A ‘‘FEEDBACK’’ forum. :bulb:
The locking of it was pure irony imo.

Ok yeh, there was an element of point scoring among some of the posts, but on the whole there was some good discussion, on the subject of where things had gone wrong on the site, and people’s individual opinions of who and what were responsible

The irony came about after both mods and others were saying that ‘‘No posts had been removed’’ and ‘‘Everybody was getting a free opinion’’ etc etc, and the feedback and opinions kept coming.

Oh yeh…then Rikki rocks up and locks it in a 1er. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

robroy:

newmercman:

Thing is though NM, it was pure ‘feedback’ on guess what…A ‘‘FEEDBACK’’ forum. :bulb:
The locking of it was pure irony imo.

Ok yeh, there was an element of point scoring among some of the posts, but on the whole there was some good discussion, on the subject of where things had gone wrong on the site, and people’s individual opinions of who and what were responsible

The irony came about after both mods and others were saying that ‘‘No posts had been removed’’ and ‘‘Everybody was getting a free opinion’’ etc etc, and the feedback and opinions kept coming.

Oh yeh…then Rikki rocks up and locks it in a 1er. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

A very fair point Rob.

You’ve perfectly summarised the reason that I was going to lock it a bit later, even if Rikki hadn’t.

It had (well and truly) served its purpose, but although silly in parts, did do a power of good as… feedback.

Tbf though Dave, apart from the fact that a thread about ‘Feedback’ being locked specifically on a Feedback forum was a bit (as I said) ironic, I still think it could have went further, and was constructive towards your efforts to sort out the problems on the site. :bulb:
Even if you (or Rikki) had removed the bickering posts with an explanation as a bit of a compromise instead.

It was like members getting stuff off their chests, and saying things (granted a bit critical of the mods) that would not be normally said, but appropriate in the spirit of the subject, which imo was constructive rather than derogatory to the forum (and the mods)

To just wade in and lock it was a bit ott I reckon,.especially as previously some had made reference to ‘Rikkis train set’ scenario, which kind of arguably confirmed it tbh mate.

Or am I reading too much in to it, and/or taking it too seriously. :blush: :laughing:

dieseldave:
“”“”"

Thank you for the reply, I am not going to even begin to debate the points that you raised as like a politician you have basically said what I fully expected you to say.

I can see the ironic side of locking a thread in a feedback forum, I also see that it could be interpreted as it has by some, however if it continued t was clear there was only one way it was going to go, so I can also see why it was locked down.

Rather than rehashing it all here, why don’t we all just do our thing, the whole point was to make TNUK a more civilised place for the members, that includes all of you too.

UKtramp:

dieseldave:
“”“”"

Thank you for the reply, I am not going to even begin to debate the points that you raised as like a politician you have basically said what I fully expected you to say.

Thanks for that UKtramp.

We might not agree, but at least we understand each other’s point of view and we were polite about it. :smiley:

robroy:
Tbf though Dave, apart from the fact that a thread about ‘Feedback’ being locked specifically on a Feedback forum was a bit (as I said) ironic, I still think it could have went further, and was constructive towards your efforts to sort out the problems on the site. :bulb:

Agreed Rob. :smiley:

robroy:
Even if you (or Rikki) had removed the bickering posts with an explanation as a bit of a compromise instead.

Now this might just be me, but…

:bulb: How do you think that would have played out with those who accuse us of censorship?

robroy:
It was like members getting stuff off their chests, and saying things (granted a bit critical of the mods) that would not be normally said, but appropriate in the spirit of the subject, which imo was constructive rather than derogatory to the forum (and the mods)

Already agreed Rob.
I’ll add that criticism of Mods is perfectly OK if it’s done constructively and within the rules, however… this must be balanced with the management reserving the right to manage. (Also within the rules.)

robroy:
To just wade in and lock it was a bit ott I reckon,.especially as previously some had made reference to ‘Rikkis train set’ scenario, which kind of arguably confirmed it tbh mate.

As I said Rob, I would have locked it anyway because I thought it had served its purpose and, on balance, was getting sillier and sillier causing it to need baby-sitting.

Now for a point which I’ve made before (sorry for the repetition) … people can read and then choose whether to respond.
If they choose to respond, their post (but not the person) becomes fair game. That goes for all of us.

robroy:
Or am I reading too much in to it, and/or taking it too seriously. :blush: :laughing:

No Rob, IMHO you’ve made perfectly valid points.

dieseldave:
we realise that some other posters might need extra assistance in understanding that notion than others. That extra assistance is included in the service, and all for free!! :smiley:

Thank the lord it is free Dave, sorry to have to tell you this, I wouldn’t pay for this service and could not possibly recommend it to anyone, :smiley:

UKtramp:

dieseldave:
we realise that some other posters might need extra assistance in understanding that notion than others. That extra assistance is included in the service, and all for free!! :smiley:

Thank the lord it is free Dave, sorry to have to tell you this, I wouldn’t pay for this service and could not possibly recommend it to anyone, :smiley:

No need to say sorry UKtramp, I thank you for an honest and polite opinion.

UKtramp:

dieseldave:

Honestly why are you on here then ?

For me i get a lot of FREE advice and enjoy the craic .You might find facebook more suitable pal…

Beetlejuice:

UKtramp:

dieseldave:

Honestly why are you on here then ?

For me i get a lot of FREE advice and enjoy the craic .You might find facebook more suitable pal…

You have got the wrong end of the stick, not talking about TNUK in general, this post is referring to pre mod. You might like it though, who knows.

Now i could be a bit slow or missed the point but what has anything to do with what people have posted on this post got to do with the this post
My understanding is reply posts have to be about the original post
I could be wrong

nightline:
Now i could be a bit slow or missed the point but what has anything to do with what people have posted on this post got to do with the this post
My understanding is reply posts have to be about the original post
I could be wrong

To a degree maybe but just like irl discussions debates or gum flapping sessions they can and invariably do stray a little off topic, there is no hard and fast rule that posts on this forum must remain 100% on topic. It should have some connection to the organic flow of the conversation though, to suddenly start talking randomly about KFC hot wings during the middle of a discussion about a WTD regulation queries post would most definitely not be acceptable, like most things in life it all boils down to common sense.