How far would you commute?

I have seen in a couple of places where a driver has a camper van to sleep in between shifts and then go home in for the weekend.

I just retired from a big retailer here in the US and they never hired class 1 from the warehouse, instead wanted drivers already driving so i think you’d have a better chance applying as a driver not a warehouse worker. Good luck.

580 mile each way once a fortnight …

Just think of the hours plus travelling and work out if you’ll get more than 8 hours at home. If not then it really not worth it on a possible promise. Take most new company promises with pinch of salt.

It gets very very tiring driving to / from work if your driving all day too so max I would personally do now is 1 hour at rush hour.

Most i done was 55 miles each way so around 2 hours each way, plus 12+ hours driving = absolutely shattering. Now do 1 hour max driving.

Admittedly can see the potential advantages of going from warehouse to driving as a way in, but since most mew drivers make quite a few mistakes unless they tollerant you might find all the sacrifices not worth it in the end.

Btw if its Coop then i know they genuinely do transfer properly amd understand mistakes.

68 miles round trip, 4 nights a week

Might help if we knew what company, reason being some like DHL/Sainsburys, Dartford only take drivers who have been there on agency for at least 18 months

It’s working in sainsburys depot run by Wincanton at sherburn, Leeds.

7 minutes (3.3 miles) by car but that’s soon to double to an agonising 14 minutes (6.8 miles) as I’m moving soon…

But the furthest was a 77 mile round trip and that was night shifts for an agency, that got very old very quick!

ProudNewbie:
Hi all,

Been offered a warehouse job in an RDC for one of the big 4 retailers. It’s just the means of getting my foot in and eventually get onto class 1 driving, delivering to stores. They’re not recruiting for drivers at the moment. My current job is warehousing for a different company but because I’ve not had my class 1 for long I’m struggling to find driving work. My only turn off is the new place is 72 miles round trip for me, so my question is do I jack in my current job in the hope that I stand a better chance of eventually going into driving at the new place as I’ll already be in there? My current workplace is 4 miles round trip. So how far would you commute? Thanks in advance for your replies

IMO leaving one job for another of the same type but 36 miles away and for less pay in the hope it’ll lead to something better isn’t a great idea. Surely there’s something nearer? If all else fails, why not try for weekend agency work?

10 minutes, no more.

My commute is longer, but being once a week only it’s not an issue.
I’m surprised you can’t find any driving jobs within 30 or 40 miles of Bradford. Although you have a Class 1 maybe a rigid job nearer where you are would be better? Less commute plus driving experience. Anything like that available? Probably better money than warehouse work too.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

ProudNewbie:
It’s working in sainsburys depot run by Wincanton at sherburn, Leeds.

Have you tried applying direct to Wincanton? I think they’ll consider new passes? I don’t think it’s an excessive distance to travel but it has to be worth your while and the timing of your journey will, I suspect, make quite a difference to the time it takes.

I do 54 mile round trip a day on M62 to work(I’ve been with company a while and used to live a lot closer).
I’m okay when I’m on the middle shift as traffics not bad when going and coming home roads are empty,but as soon as I drop down rota the traveling starts to annoy me as the traffic can double my journey time,living in Bradford I should imagine this is something you would also suffer…
I believe Goodhalls at Halifax and moorhouses at honley take on new passes and both were advertising on indeed not long ago.

Yorkielad:
I do 54 mile round trip a day on M62 to work(I’ve been with company a while and used to live a lot closer).
I’m okay when I’m on the middle shift as traffics not bad when going and coming home roads are empty,but as soon as I drop down rota the traveling starts to annoy me as the traffic can double my journey time,living in Bradford I should imagine this is something you would also suffer…
I believe Goodhalls at Halifax and moorhouses at honley take on new passes and both were advertising on indeed not long ago.

Hello… I have tried goodhalls but no luck, sent numerous emails and been promised call backs, to no avail. Job is mainly day shift so traffic would be an issue pretty much all the way there and back

When I 1st passed class 2 about 10 years ago …couldt get work as no experience. So joined agencies… And spent about 6 months commuting from Stockport to bamber bridge about 35 miles one way. Then managed get work in haydock park which was bit nearer. .Now I do 9 miles there 9 back . Looking back I did it to gain experience I must of been stupid when I look back now. But it had to be done.
Is like to see people this day and age so it just get experience. Etc. Most Now complain If they have to start before 7 or finish after 5 lol

Might seem silly but when I changed form 35 mile round trip to 10 mile round trip, the car became much cheaper to run obvious I know! fuel seems to last forever and thats saying something as its a land rover, before tank up up every 1.5 weeks now maybe once a month.
Its the little things like tyres getting low, before get it done asap, now it can wait weeks or even months as nothing wears out!
Plus you will wear your car out pdq and it has to be reliable very reliable.

Car does need be reliable. As if you get up one morning car won’t start can’t get a lift basically your ■■■■■ . As days wages be gone In taxi fares. And I can’t see many employers taking sympathy on you. And your long commute. Plus say your on your way in and there’s a hold up accident . Could take you for ever to get in. Where as if local can divert go around etc. But shows ypur keen and a hard worker if your willing to make the trip every day which could be appreciated by some employer’s

I think it will get exhausting very quickly

Just bombard all the agencies and try and find one you like (rare but they are out there)

Wincanton do take on new starters but you have to persist with them. Try a letter to Chippenham and see how that goes. It’s worked for others I know.

Search Indeed and put in your postcode. Don’t give up a certain job until you are sure you have something and that it’s what you want. You may want to start driving artics ‘this minute’ but it really does pay to be patient and there are some awful jobs out there which may knock your confidence which won’t’ help in the long run

I did a 98 mile round commute daily(4-5 and sometimes 6 days a week) for over 5 years, this commute was mainly A303(past Stonehenge!) which was ok apart from Friday’s, Saturday’s, Bank holidays etc when it could take me 90 minutes or more to get home! I’ve now got a job(class 1) with a 20 mile round commute and i have to say it’s so much more better for me, at least now if i do a 15 hour day i know i can be home in 15-20 mins. It may be a little less money but what i save on fuel and general wear and tear on the car makes up for it, and not to mention the wear and tear on me!

I used to do two days a week as a casual and that involved a 50 mile round trip. Driving along dark twisting country lanes after a 15 hour shift is not an ideal situation. As a tramper not quite as bad.

I made arbitrary rules about this one, assuming that I drove my car to work, as follows:

day work - radius of 10 miles
week work - radius of 25 miles
long-haul work or European tramping - radius of 100 miles.

And I more or less stuck to it!

Robert