How do you tell someone you love that they are too fat?

Without wanting to be hurtful - how do you tell someone that you love, that if they keep shovelling high fat food and beer and doing nothing but order a takeaway on a night, that they are not only becoming unattractive but that they are ruining their health?

My sister is doing just this - she looks a right mess, she won’t go to the Doctors, I think she is suffering from depression after her OH left her - he was a nice looking bloke, she was a stunner when she met him, but she just got fatter and fatter, stopped dressing up and going out.

She was such a pretty, fun to be around person, she is now a miserable lump of lard.

What can I do ?

I have told my dad to sort his weight out because the way he is going we aint got any pallbearers strong enough to carry him.
He got the hump, but also took a long hard look at himself.

Jenson Button:
Without wanting to be hurtful - how do you tell someone that you love, that if they keep shovelling high fat food and beer and doing nothing but order a takeaway on a night, that they are not only becoming unattractive but that they are ruining their health?

My sister is doing just this - she looks a right mess, she won’t go to the Doctors, I think she is suffering from depression after her OH left her - he was a nice looking bloke, she was a stunner when she met him, but she just got fatter and fatter, stopped dressing up and going out.

She was such a pretty, fun to be around person, she is now a miserable lump of lard.

What can I do ?

I was going to suggest withdrawing the conjugal right, but as it is your sister, well you don’t live in Belgium :stuck_out_tongue:

Get her out and about with you, she will meet someone else and try to look better if she is happier. Depression is one of the worst things that can ever happen to anyone. I have suffered terribly with it, Slimming World is working for me, you eat loads and its fun, working out which one of them you may cop off when you are sylph like.

My teacher is lovely too :stuck_out_tongue:

I would love to be quite sharp with her… but me and sis have always had a rough ride off the folks, only Golden Balls has the seal of parental approval, so i do have to be so careful with any negatives/

I have asked my misses what to do, and she has said she will try and help her, but as she would make a greyhound look fat, I am not quite sure how her offering to go to weight watchers is going to help :confused: :confused: as if the misses looses anymore weight I wont find her.

I really am quite protective of my sis, I just want her to be happy, she deserves a good bloke but all she seams to go for is pretty boys whom are pretty shallow/

I’m in the same situation mate my sister used to be so pretty slim figured and fun, she met her now husband at 17 she’s only 21 but I would imagine not far of 21 stone she had a baby last year and is a good mum but not any where near ready or mature enough to be one. She was still living at gone when married had the baby at home and has not long had her own place her and her husband have no get up and go no ambitions nothing and the only thing they have any interest in us eating. I’ve talked to her many times but I’ve lost a fair bit off weight a few years ago as I was alway big I’m now a healthy weight and when I talk to her about it all I get is you were fat all your life blah blah she says she’s happy how she is but how can she be we all know she isn’t and at times admits she isn’t, I said to her a while back If she doesn’t sort it now it will be to late and shell never get it off i even said I would give her a hundred quid for every stone she looses so she can go shopping and buy new clothes that didnt work. I’m at a loss with her problem is she’s so lazy she wants to be a size 10 but wants to go to bed and wake up a size 10 I don’t know what to do I’ve been nice about it supportive and nothing now she’s a mum at just 21 she knows it all there’s no talking to her she has no life experience never stood on her own feet mum and dad have always bailed her out so she hasn’t needed to. I’m debating the harsh approach but don’t wanna cause a rift as I love my niece more than anything and don’t want to be stopped seeing her its a hard one if only they’d realise we love them and want to help them were not trying to upset them or be nasty.

Karl -my sis was such a fox I recon half my mates were only my mates to get close to her ! - talking this through with the misses, it seamed to go wrong when sis had an eptopic pregnacy- and as the misses pointed out to me, the fact we were not bothered about having kids but she fell pregnant at the drop of a hat, is something we should not take for granted. Our two kids have been fortunate enough to be born healthy with all limbs working - so I suppose we, as in me and the wife find it hard to understand what Shell is going through.

I cannot talk to mum and dad, they just make me and sis feel like we are lower than shark mess, but my little sis needs some support and as the misses has said, she will do anything she can to help but when she is a size 8 to 10 - then how does she come accross as wanting to loose weight to someone that looks like a barrage balloon?

It’s a hard one I was near on 17 stone at got down to 11 a few years I’ve put a stone and half on since the fiancée moved in a year ago but I thought maybe seeing how much happier I was slimmer it may off given her a kick up the arse but nope. My sister is very much a hypochondriac she likes the attention and is always moping around it doesn’t help that her husband has piled the weight on to there both stuck in there ways and I’m ashamed to say a couple of bums, we were well bought up but had nothin mum and dad worked there arse off and are comfortable now but if I ever wanted nice stuff that my mates had I had to go and get it when she was in her teens mum and dad were better off and she had what she wanted, I think you go two ways I had nothing and wanted everything so I started my first job when I was at school she on the other hand sees it that she doesn’t miss what she’s never had and is happy to bum through life with not alot. I can’t understand the mentality off that and it gets up my nose cause I want her to have a bit off drive and ambition her weight is getting worse and I don’t know if its a cry for help or her way off gettin a bit more attention but I find myself smacking my head against a brick wall as I said I think she wants to loose it but she has to donit on her own and she’s not used to having to work hard herself to get something she thinks me working the hours i work is stupid i see it as life that’s what I have to do to pay a mortgage have nice cars etc that’s the difference between us I am going to be brutely honest with her though and it may not go down well but nothing else works she needs grabbing hold of and shaking into the real world lol it may harm things with your sister to be honest with her and tell her but I’m thinking once she sees it and looses some weight she may thank you for being the one who kicked her up the arse I’m gonna try it and just hope it doesn’t back fire but its not nice sitting back and watching it happen.