Home brew sleeper cabs

[zb]
anorak:
I believe I might have found the Daddy of these:
romain37530.skyrock.com/2841936 … W_COMMENTS
The caption says it’s Turkish, but the comments section corrects that. The RHA crest on the front bumper is a giveaway LOL.

Now that’s what I call 88-■■■■! If I’d had a cab like that on mine I might have escaped the maritals long before I finally finished digging the tunnel! :wink: :wink: :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:

The highroof on the M.A.N is casting by IDUPOL Belgium.

Henry van den Berg:

ERF-NGC-European:

The highroof on the M.A.N is casting by IDUPOL Belgium.

@^^^^^^Thanks mate! This is the pic again :wink: . Robert

[zb]
anorak:
The caption says it’s Turkish, but the comments section corrects that. The RHA crest on the front bumper is a giveaway LOL.

I know it’s not a home made sleeper but I found this photo on social media

robert1952:

Is this real or just a cyberbuild?

Leyland V2.JPG
Photo copyright owned by Darren Redding.

Star down under.:

robert1952:

The latter, I would say. Imagine it without the sunvisor, and the front corners of the ice-cream van bit miss the front corners of the cab by about 6"- in different directions. If that does not convince- look inside the cab- the rear windows are day cab ones.

[zb]
anorak:

Star down under.:

robert1952:

The latter, I would say. Imagine it without the sunvisor, and the front corners of the ice-cream van bit miss the front corners of the cab by about 6"- in different directions. If that does not convince- look inside the cab- the rear windows are day cab ones.

I thought the window arrangement may have been a la early Scania, where the passenger side was glazed but the driver’s side was blind.
Look at the back axle, it doesn’t seem right and the turntable appears to be too far back for a bogie drive, more like a single drive set-up.
This is the same photo as the one I quoted from page 2, only the paint scheme has changed.

Star down under.:
I thought the window arrangement may have been a la early Scania, where the passenger side was glazed but the driver’s side was blind.
Look at the back axle, it doesn’t seem right and the turntable appears to be too far back for a bogie drive, more like a single drive set-up.
This is the same photo as the one I quoted from page 2, only the paint scheme has changed.

It had me fooled the first time around. I’m a wiser old dog these days :laughing: .

Here you go fellas,this is how it really looks. It’s a Beaver restored here in NZ,I took this at a truck show a few years ago near Auckland.

gazsa401:

[zb]
anorak:

I remember the F10 Globetrotter ‘‘Kitchen pack’’ cab with the sink and running water etc, but I did not know it was available on the 88/89 models.
Looks a hell of a spec sleeper for it’s day.

Another example of those smart F8 MAN tops. Robert

robroy:

gazsa401:

[zb]
anorak:

I remember the F10 Globetrotter ‘‘Kitchen pack’’ cab with the sink and running water etc, but I did not know it was available on the 88/89 models.

It’s certainly a fab spec for it’s day but I wouldn’t have fancied running too far with a 60-gallon tank, whoever made it! Unless, of course, they meant, “an EXTRA 60 gallon tank”?

Retired Old ■■■■:

robroy:

gazsa401:

[zb]
anorak:

It’s certainly a fab spec for it’s day but I wouldn’t have fancied running too far with a 60-gallon tank, whoever made it! Unless, of course, they meant, “an EXTRA 60 gallon tank”?

There might be an 80 gal tank on the other side, RoF! In any case, with 1000 litres in the trailer belly tank it wouldn’t have been such an issue :wink: . Robert

^^^^^^
Where do you put the dirty dishes for your Mrs to wash up then?!

pete smith:
^^^^^^
Where do you put the dirty dishes for your Mrs to wash up then?!

You leave them in the sink, which is on the passenger side. :laughing:

And if you want to be really helpful you could leave them to soak in soapy water until you get home!

ERF-NGC-European:

[/quote]
There might be an 80 gal tank on the other side, RoF! In any case, with 1000 litres in the trailer belly tank it wouldn’t have been such an issue :wink: . Robert
[/quote]
The original Volvo tank was mounted on the nearside on my 88 with a saddle tank on the chassis, fitted with a tap and a length of plastic hose to drop the extra into the main tank. Until I got around to fitting a locking cover to the saddle tank I experienced the “self-service” brigade emptying it when parked overnight! Boss swore I was flogging it, so I made enquiries regarding my future career, made my excuses and left.

Retired Old ■■■■:
And if you want to be really helpful you could leave them to soak in soapy water until you get home!

Just leave them sloshing about in soapy water for 500 miles or so. That should do the trick. :laughing:
On a (very slightly) serious note- did anyone make a “washing machine” thing for trips to uncivilised places? I imagine some sort of lidded/sealed tank with a couple of cricket balls in it. Something like that.

A couple of aquaintances on m/east overland runs had small hand-cranked washers of the type intended for caravan use. Very successful, apparently.

Retired Old ■■■■:
A couple of aquaintances on m/east overland runs had small hand-cranked washers of the type intended for caravan use. Very successful, apparently.

The temptation to attach an old starter motor and bolt it underneath the trailer…