Nostalgia! - Jennings conversion vs the Hi-top

killsville:
You shouldn’t moan about Atki sleeper cabs, Mal! There was a high top conversion available - just see the following photo. You just buy the raw materials (wood, fibreglass etc.), cut to shape and then bolt it onto the roof of the cab. Hey presto, you have an Atki Globetrotter/Topline/Roadhaus/Super Space Cab.

Enjoy

KED 505P. That was my old beast when I worked for NorthWest Freighters, Haydock. It looks a little bit different now, In fact, I have photo of it. When I work out how to post photos on here I will stick it on.

Double posting

KED 505P.

Viking:
KED 505P.

Page not found mate, what tis?

I’m new at this game mate…I can’t get the photo to enlarge…any suggestions gratefully received.

Check your PMs Viking :smiley:

marky:
Check your PMs Viking :smiley:

There’s no messages in there bud.

There should be now…

marky:
There should be now…

Cheers mate.

Here it is, in all it’s glory.

There’s one of NWF’s fridge boxes on a farm not far from me…

Thanks for that my mate. I’m surprised that there are any NWF fridges left…most of it was years old when we got finished up in '90.

AlexxInNY:
Here is a nearly exact copy of the first truck I drove, way back in 1988. Notice, this is what we Americans refer to as a “single sleeper”. They don’t come any smaller than this:

now thats a good size bed

Hiya i had a stunner of a sleeper. i had a Bedford KM at S Coopers at Bollington. they was running about 6 KM s.
i’d had a few day cab lorries and had stacks of nights out and liked some comfort. ERFs although day cabs was
quite wide where the Bedford was a narrow cab and wide wings as you know…i was only 30 and a bit and not to
fat but 5’9 or somthing. i could sleep on the KM shelf but couldn’t stretch out…infact one time i popped the
passenger side window…Enough something needs to be done…(been an ex Jennings panel beater…true) i made
a box(looked like a biscuit tin) and fitted it where the passenger side window should have been. it was great it give
me 7 inches more legroom and i could sleep ok on the shelf. i lengthened the stays on the passenger seat so i
could have a Daf mattress on the shelf one end was turned under to make a pillow. when the transport chap saw
it he walked away tuting… all he said is everyone will want one now…guess what they did i made one for each lorry.
i never took a photo. many drivers killed themselves laughing at the BOX . it was ok it did the job.

First sleeper cab hahaha, Well if you can call it that. It was a Leyland Buffalo with a stretcher that fitted between the two doors over the engine hump, no curtains, running to Germany we were either complete numptys or hero`s… :blush: :blush:

Parked in Banbury many years ago, Bloke parked up with an Atki Borderer with the" pidgeon loft" / dog kennel on the back, anyhow went out for a few pints came back with " lady " in tow. We were stood in lorry park finishing our kebabs and watched him push afforementioned lady up into Atki, carried on nattering when about 10mins later almighty crash and the dog kennel fell off the back of the cab and in amongst the air lines complete with lady and driver now put off the vinegar strokes, Oh for a mobile phone! nowadays it would have brought Facebook to a halt, as it was nobody could help due to the fact we were helpless with laughter! We did after we had composed ourselves assist said driver and lady , ( fastened the kennel on temp with rope in the end )

image.jpghere’s one I made earlier ,although it’s nothing really compared with coach building a timber frame ect .

My first sleeper cab was a 1981 Leyland Reiver, built by Locomotors of Andover and it came with an Eberspacher heater (quite rare at that time).
It was suprisingly comfortable and warm, a luxury on my many nights out in Scotland in the winter. A BRS contract LWB tipper it carried brass bar and tube on outward journeys and backloaded swarf and scrap for Delta Metals of Wolverhampton. Payload was almost 17t when it was later uprated to 26t gross. Having a clydesdale overdive gear in the Reiver splitter box with 1100x20 rear tyres gave it a top speed of 70mph +. It covered well over 600,000mls and gave very little trouble.

Driving between Jct1 M27 and Pompey the other day I remarked to the missus about just how many hi-top sleepers you see about the place these days. We therefore started counting and I reckon at least half of the artics I saw with sleepers had some sort of roof extension. To see a normal sleeper was an exception, and I saw very few day cabs at all in the heavy classes.

Time was when I was a kid in the late 70s/early 80s ERF drivers considered themselves very lucky if they had a one bunk Jennings conversion or whatever. Earlier British steel cabbed lorries seemed to have those strange metal “coffins” poking out halfway down the back of the cab. I can remember a lot of occasions where you saw day cabs being used overnight, with either a mattress tucked behind the seats or a fold down bunk.

So nowadaysthe trucks must seem like palaces. What do people remember of the old sleeper arrangements? What was your first sleeper and how were the days prior to them? Nowadays with the height and depth the sleeper cabs have acres of room, kitchens etc - but is it really handy or just an occasional use luxury?

Possibly the worst sleeper I ever saw was a guy with a Bedford TK that had a bunk that folded in two on that prehensile shelf they used to have behind the driver. I hate to think what would have happened when he had to lock all the brakes up! The best obviously were F12 Globetrotters - but then they were a different world to old B series with sleeper conversions, shockingly bad night heaters and exploding trim!

Anyway whats your memories, let us know - and if you have pictures of these “caves” all the better.

Well, the first "sleeper I had was across the seats in a D1000 Ford, not too bad as it happens, because the seat on the passenger side was a bench, and at the same hight, also, there wernt an engine hump! Curtains were bits of old curtain and jackets ect stuffed into any available gap round the cab toi hold them up! Night heaters, not a prayer!

I got an artic after that, and it was a “sleeper” according to the gaffer anyway. It was a Mk11 borderer with a 150 Gardner in it on bulk tipping. The sleeper was 2 aluminium poles attatched to a canvas bunk. The lot was fastened to the back of the cab on the timber frame, and it lifted forwards on to two lugs attached to the front timber frame. There wernt a lot of room, and being only 13 stone at the time I could get in it, but had to lie like dracula! The night heater was a 9lb propane bottle and a council hut heater :laughing: you couldnt use it overnight or youd die! The day heater was marked as absent, even up telegraph loaded top whack it never worked! Curtains were as above.

ERF B series day cab, I made me own sleeper, it was an interiour door cut in half, and 2 legs fixed on it. that went over the passenger seat and made a handy place for me tools and dogs&chains and some rope ect. On top of that I got a caravan seat mattress, this was rolled with a couple of blankets over to the passenger side, and tied with a string. To enter bed, you pulled the string, the mattress sprung open, and hit you where you were sat in the drivers seat! :slight_smile: Then you wriggled from under that lot and crawled in! Curtains were hung from 4 six inch nails in the 4 corners of the cab. Night heater was booze, and the day heater sometimes worked, but you couldnt bank on it!

Then I got a B series with a Jennings! :smiley: I dont need to tell anybody that was in rough kips like the above what a great tool that was, it had fitted curtains on a rail! :laughing: We’re still on a booze powered night heater, but I could at least sleep without me clothes on! Yepp those Jennings were the dogs to me at the time, what crap they were compared against the modern stuff!

Im not gonna ramble on about sleeping in buffalo’s Atki’s and stuff with a big engine hump and no bed, it’s too much typing! :wink:

Oh, any of you lads remmebr in aec ergo’s and Buff’s the engine hump sloped forwards and tipped you into the screen! :laughing:

Now then, some of the old gents will kindly tell us kids about coach built cabs and REAL hardship! :laughing: