Hills transport?

to bootie68.
hello lynnete.
i spent a lot of my younger days mitching off school riding around the country with my uncle bert which may explain that i drive for a living now.if i went down to hills yard anytime my uncle had to drop me off by cv sales on penarth road and i used to stand there for hours while he went into hills yard for diesel or maybe some repairs,i used to walk across the road to boyles cafe for a glass of pop and norman boyle or was it edgar boyle? cant remember for sure would ask me did i want to earn two bob ? i said yes he said follow me and i used to try and wash a lorry which had layers of crusted road mud on it with only a cold water hose,no steam cleaners back then and got dirty and wet in the bargain.back in those days the rules for carrying unauthorised passengers was enforced vigourously and old reg was no exception.i can also remember a factory across from cv sales called rivlin & co does that ring a bell?did you say that your husband is driving for a living?if so what kind of transport is he involved with would love to know in the meantime i will have a think to see if i can remember some more names.
regards graham.

hi graham

i remember the cv garage but dont remember the rest if your uncle worked there or went there in the 60;s he would have known my hubbys grandfather arthur hudd aka ginger as for my hubby he has worked for a few companies one of them being hills, cardiff transport, john raymonds, ken jones, and now he is working for kcs transport in aberthaw which is owned by an old driver from hills regards lynette

to bootie68.
sorry i didnt reply to until now as i worked this morning.i know ken your husbands boss and i should recognise your husband if i saw him as i see kcs trucks every day wheather it is in local quarries or steelworks or opencast coal sites,i dare say your husband would know me as i drive for a plant hire company at hirwaun nr aberdare.the surname hudd does not ring a bell im sorry,there is a very nice young man that works for silurian scania at cardiff trucknet member sgates who i know would love to see some hills photos as his late father also worked there.time is moving on must get ready for a few drinks tonight.
regards graham.

hiya graham
hope you enjoyed your few drinks my hubby said he will be asking everyone now when hes up there to see who you are lolol sgates father who was his dad please if you know i will try and get hold of all the boys that i know from hills and see if i can get some pics my hubby knows someone off here that puts the pics on regards lynette

to bootie 68.
i will try to speak to somebody tommorow regarding young simons dad.sorry again for the delay in getting back to you i have just got in ive been away for a couple of days working, i will get back in touch when i find out more.
regards graham.

jusf looking at the messages one of the bosses at hills was boss at cardiff transport when i worked for cardiff transport there was a driver called yorkie there as well ,
carlton hobbs was the boss

hello smallcoal.
just read your reply on hills transport and i am wondering if the yorkie i knew is the same guy that you knew,i am going back to the early 1960s when they (hills) were running out of helliwells tubes at aberdare,i would think the yorkie that i remember should by now be around his mid seventies.
regards graham.

hi graham
the yorkie i know would be in his seventies his boy drove for cardiff transport his boy had own wagon il ask bernard he will know bernard patrick & thier father worked with cardiff trans

hi graham the driver yorkie his name was eric rumney my mate bernard just left a message

hello smallcoal.
do you think there would be any chance of finding out if eric was the yorkie that ran out of helliwells tubes aberdare in the sixties with the leyland comet.thankyou for replying.
regards graham.

hi graham
the best one to ask is bernard you will see pics of cardiff transport with bernard on hauliers sixties seventies page he is in the know his old man would know

Hi to you all, new to this website, was looking through all the topics and came across Hill,s transport of cardiff. I can relate to this in a big way. My father is James (jimmy) Hill, and my grandfather was Reg Hill (R.I.P.). I myself spent a lot of my youth down the yard on penarth road, where i started my interest in all commercial vehicles, i dont know how many of hills ex drivers are still about, only the ones i know of who are still in contact with dad. But if there are any out there would like to hear from you. :smiley:

hello martin c hill.
firstly ,welcome to trucknet especially the hills thread.
when i was a kid i also spent a lot of time in your late grandads lorries,as previously said my uncle bert drove for hills.would it be possible for you to make enquiries on the following ex drivers,bobby ridley/chris dullivan/ billy cann/arthur pitman/, do you or your family hold any photos that could be uploaded on to this thread as there is quite a bit of interest.did you know that hills had a seperate company caled C R D S, same hills livery and based at st albans garage in fleetway penarth road,it would be splendid if you could help with information or photos.
regards graham.

Hi Graham, spoke to Dad earlier about the drivers you mentioned, he seems to think that 3 out of the 4 have passed away. I have uploaded some photos into my photo gallery, for you all to view. Dad was pretty sure that the driver stood by the side of 553 xtg was Billy Cann. You could maybe clarify that. All of the photos so far were from Hills original yard in Dinas Powys, (before my time!!) Will try & get more photos, stories etc. Cheers Martin.

Hi everyone,here is a photo of one of hills stratos i have been given,hope it is ok

Hi bernard, can you get anymore photos of this era of hills transport. I think they had about 4 of those stratos, I can also remember them having 2 Daf 95,s round about the same year either f or g reg. Cheers Martin.

Hello Martin.
Thankyou for sharing the photographs on trucknet,to be honest i could not recognise Billy Cann in the photograph.It looks like the shot was taken in one of the Rhondda Valleys.Could you make inquiries as to the origins of CRDS transport,Was it maybe a company that Hills Transport bought out although the livery was the same as Hills.Sorry for not replying sooner as i have been away since sunday.
Kindest Regards Graham.

martin c hill:
Hi to you all, new to this website, was looking through all the topics and came across Hill,s transport of cardiff. I can relate to this in a big way. My father is James (jimmy) Hill, and my grandfather was Reg Hill (R.I.P.). I myself spent a lot of my youth down the yard on penarth road, where i started my interest in all commercial vehicles, i dont know how many of hills ex drivers are still about, only the ones i know of who are still in contact with dad. But if there are any out there would like to hear from you. :smiley:

hi martin im sure your dad will have lots of pics that we could get on here of hills sadly all my dads have some how disappeared i know your dad very well and knew your grandad to my dad was jacky block and hubby is steve hudd which im sure you know lolol there are still a couple of drivers left but sadly not many some of them meet up in the afternoon once a month ie dumper conkey mills peter margotts lerch and steve but the next meet they are trying to get allan richards mossy your dad to go should be good to catch up will let you know where and when its always in the afternoon in cardiff somewhere regards lynette

Does anyone know if Hills transport from Cardiff are still active? I had my first HGV job with them doing a night trunk from Dartford to Cardiff and back. This was about 18-19 years ago now and I’ve not seen any of their motors about for ages. Their yard use to be in Fleetway opposite the main post office yard.

if you ain’t seen their trucks for a while, then it’s not normally a good sign is it.but i’m sure the local lads will help you out. :wink: