HGV Medicals, Cambridge

UKtramp:

biggriffin:
I accept that my lord, and will not seek retribution on the field of combat.

I always enjoy and look forward to a battle with a worthy opponent. I can tell from your style of writing you are that man.

touchee. the cap is doffed. we may meet, we may have already met, as we are in the same line. :smiley:

UKtramp:
Harry I agree with you 100% on the fee business, however my main concern is that of the moral and unethical ground that the DVLA allow the medical to be carried out away from your own GP and by a Dr who has no medical records & history available to them to make that decision.

As valid as your argument is, the likeliest outcome if you were “successful” in persuading government would be drivers paying out more of their hard earned to keep the licence. You also have overlooked the point that many of our own GP’s are less flexible with regard to appointment times to the extent that, as with my sisters GP, it is actually impossible to arrange an appointment for a medical.

UKtramp:
I personally do not agree with cheap medicals, a £50 medical of which you are virtually doing the medical yourself in answering questions about your health, of which you may decide to choose to hide. You are been charged to have your blood pressure checked and your eye test performed. That is the sum total of a £50 medical. Your own doctor may well charge £120 but he should have your medical records and quite frankly I am surprised that the DVLA accept medical forms from anyone other than your own GP. Reason being that you cannot simply tell your own GP that you have never suffered from any of the listed ailments so easily. The medical would be more realistic and factual than a doctor whom you have never seen before and has none of your medical records at hand. Thus a rubber stamp is applied to say your fit and well. Perhaps we may see a change in the future.

You make a very good point here drive.

My own doctor charges £120 for medical, our company used to reimburse that charge , but now, they will only pay your medical if you go to their nominated doctor, who charge £60.

So anyway, i went last Friday to this “nominated” doctor, and it’s a fairly well run and established practise, close to work.

What concerns me is that I wasn’t tested for diabetes.
I was asked questions about it, as per the medical form, but every medical I’ve had in the past ( I’m 55 now), have always taken a water sample.

In fact, my appointment was booked for 3pm, and I was out for 3.09 pm.
Got eyes tested and weighed and height taken. Then blood pressure and that was it!
A bit basic perhaps?

Butcher:
You make a very good point here drive.

What concerns me is that I wasn’t tested for diabetes.
I was asked questions about it, as per the medical form, but every medical I’ve had in the past ( I’m 55 now), have always taken a water sample.

In fact, my appointment was booked for 3pm, and I was out for 3.09 pm.
Got eyes tested and weighed and height taken. Then blood pressure and that was it!
A bit basic perhaps?

My point exactly, lets just say for example. you were asked about diabetes and you simply say “No never suffered any of those symptoms” the doctor will simply tick them as No, your own Dr would tick yes. It is in my opinion a loophole in order to avoid your own Dr letting something out of the bag. For a fit and healthy young person then it is good to save money but then there comes a point where this becomes a dangerous activity.

Wanted to use my gp since his surgery is conveniently a five minute walk from my house. But after being dicked around for 3 weeks by the part time receptionist who does the arranging of medicals I gave up. Booked with doctors on wheels for a week later. So got it sorted quicker and saved money.

Was a bloody ■■■■ take of a medical though I admit and would of been easy peasy to lie if I’d had reason to.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I asked for an HGV medical at my local health centre. The receptionist said that it would take a few weeks as I would require 3 10 minute slots concurrently also £140. I was checked over by a doctor for £50. a few days later. After the Glasgow bin lorry affair the medical issue should have been tightened up. The man lied about his poor health and past episodes. I stay in Perthshire and asked about having a taxi licence and ditching the bus licence when my DCPC expires. I was told that older folk arent doing taxis now because the Council are very strict on the medical for taxi drivers. Any old codger can drive a school bus though.

Someone I know personally lied his arse off on his declaration and to the doctor doing his medical.
His own doctor would have put in the truth, and he would never have been allowed a licence.
He now has a class 1 licence.

I went to D4 medical at Cambridge but I also got my eyes tested before by my opticians as they are of an odd prescription and my eyes are always my main concern on a medical .The doctor at D4 spotted that the opticians had filled in there part wrong and I had to go back to get them to change it and if the doctor had not picked up on this it would have caused me a lot of trouble,I personally can not recommend D4 enough another reason for going to them is in my town I can not evan get a doctor’s appointment,I was really quite ill early in the year ended up having two weeks off work which never happens to me and on two separate occasions was unable to get to see a doctor my parents where so worried they phoned my eldest daughter up to tell her she better comer and see her dad (she lives a fair way away from me)quickly and there next call was going to be the ambulance luckily I pulled through but no thanks to our local doctor s

Professor:
I went to D4 medical at Cambridge but I also got my eyes tested before by my opticians as they are of an odd prescription and my eyes are always my main concern on a medical .The doctor at D4 spotted that the opticians had filled in there part wrong and I had to go back to get them to change it and if the doctor had not picked up on this it would have caused me a lot of trouble,I personally can not recommend D4 enough another reason for going to them is in my town I can not evan get a doctor’s appointment,I was really quite ill early in the year ended up having two weeks off work which never happens to me and on two separate occasions was unable to get to see a doctor my parents where so worried they phoned my eldest daughter up to tell her she better comer and see her dad (she lives a fair way away from me)quickly and there next call was going to be the ambulance luckily I pulled through but no thanks to our local doctor s

Ring 111 ( out of hours , hospital ) theyl see you if your doctor cant , I did it all the time whilst tramping , , but can now see doc at alternative surgery on a sat , also as your at hospital theyl go more in depth , out of hours picked up I had a heart murmur when doing tests for bad circulation , there really good
They can do prescription etc , but sure they can’t do referrals , only your doctor can
My doctor even told me if you’ve issues ring 111 if you can’t see us

, I’m assuming all these tight gits don’t bother with the optician when they need new glasses , just get a £1 pair from Poundland
Tyres would be remoulds not radials on the mrs car
Not dream of paying £20 for a haircut when they can buy a razor & do a number 1 every year
Why goto Gran Canaria fully inclusive when you can sit on the beach at skeggy eating homemade cheese sandwiches with a orange squash
Bet they have sausages for Sunday roast , lamb / beef no chance
The types who hover by the shelf’s in the supermarkets at nigh on closing time to get the reduced food
The types when it’s there round they need a pee
What a bloody life ,

A note of caution about D4Drivers, I used them once, never again. They’re just a broker, all they do is take your money and book you an appointment. Crucially, you have no comeback on them if the Doctor does a bodge job.

The one and only time I used them, the Doctor, who had traveled from Birmingham to Darlington! (no doubt doing a whistle-stop money-making tour of the country) made some rookie mistakes: He took one BP reading instead of three, did this straight away without giving me a minute to get settled, and was asking me questions while he took the reading (you’re not supposed to talk while he’s taking the reading).

He said “Oh, that’s a bit high”, he didn’t say “Your reading will cause the DVLA to withhold your entitlement”, which I later discovered was guaranteed because my diastolic was over 100 that day.

Took me three months to sort that debacle out :imp:

Anyone in the North east should check out Dr Colvin
northeastdrivermedicals.com/

Be aware that certain medical providers are blacklisted by DVLA, eg Doctors on Wheels. I did recently read about another blacklisted medical outfit but I can’t find the corroboration for that so I won’t say any more than that if using a broker you should check they are approved to do D4 medicals