Medical question

Hello tnet. Im going to be 45 next month.
Anyone know when i need to go for a medical.
Hgv class 1 since 1994. Any ideas??

Irish_tony:
Hello tnet. Im going to be 45 next month.
Anyone know when i need to go for a medical.
Hgv class 1 since 1994. Any ideas??

What is the current expiry date next to the C on your licence?

When does the photo run out? - see section 4b on the front of the licence

When did you last have a licence issued from DVLA?

I’m sure you’ll find your hgv entitlement ends on your birthday, I seem to remember getting the forms sent to me a few weeks before.

You should automatically receive the licence renewal forms very shortly prior to your 45th, which also will include the medical form for your doctor to complete.

Have a look round my GP wanted 145 quid to complete the medical forms ,
went to the opticians eye test 15 quid got a GP to call to the house 50 quid
had his number from this site he was with me 2 mins lol :smiley:

I let mine go at 45 years old, then at 48 I paid £40 and bingo the entitlement it returned :wink:

bluebird1927:
Have a look round my GP wanted 145 quid to complete the medical forms ,
went to the opticians eye test 15 quid got a GP to call to the house 50 quid
had his number from this site he was with me 2 mins lol :smiley:

If you’ve been with your practice for a while, ask them for a discount. I’ve been with mine since birth, and they let me have it for £50…and ask your doctor direct, not the receptionist.

I got my GP to do it once - they charged £120 and cocked up the paperwork. I noticed the mistake and took it back. When I went back for it I stood in the reception and went through every question - blow me if there wasn’t another error. They wanted me to leave it and come back the next day but I stood my ground and they sorted it. Next time I went to a retired doc in Birmingham who charged me £39, with no errors.

Had mine last year eye test free my own Dr £100 no mistakes

DVLA as it was then sent forms out with medical form out

Thanks…me entitlement runs out in 2018. On a date that’s not me birthdate. I would be nearly 50. I got license changed to photo type in 2013.

Irish_tony:
Thanks…me entitlement runs out in 2018. On a date that’s not me birthdate. I would be nearly 50. I got license changed to photo type in 2013.

My medical nowhere near my birthday either but does depend on when you last or 1st took medical as it is 5 years after then

Irish_tony:

Next medical due on that date in 2018

The reason that is the case is because you had your first issue on the new style driving licence in 2013 which gives 5 years from that issue date for LGV (and PCV) - its a weird thing caused by the EU directive on it

For anyone else reading this who are due a D4 medical soon - if you have not had a licence issued since October 2012 then by changing the photo even if not expired the new licence will give 5 years before the next D4 medical is due

Had my medical done in the back of a transit van, in a car park somewhere in Northampton…£55 :smiley:

Be aware the DVLA are running behind in sending out and granting renewals. I had to prompt them for the initial forms and have only just received my licence back after it ran out in June!

Santa:
I got my GP to do it once - they charged £120 and cocked up the paperwork. I noticed the mistake and took it back. When I went back for it I stood in the reception and went through every question - blow me if there wasn’t another error. They wanted me to leave it and come back the next day but I stood my ground and they sorted it. Next time I went to a retired doc in Birmingham who charged me £39, with no errors.

I had the same problem with my doctor making mistakes on the form which delayed everything by nearly 8 weeks. Call your local city bus operator and ask them which doctor they are using? Costed me £40 with no errors.!

There is a sticky thread in the newbie board which has the details of lots of places nationwide who do driver medicals far cheaper than a GP charges.

I had mine done on Saturday and only cost me £40. So worth looking round.

robbo99:
Had my medical done in the back of a transit van, in a car park somewhere in Northampton…£55 :smiley:

That wasn’t a medical ya lunatic! You just got felt up by “Big George”, local dogger and chairman of The Northants Swingers Society.

And you paid him for the privilege too. :smiley: :smiley: