HGV drivers tax rebate

740MICK:
The diary is no good to me,CWB told me i can claim for individual day expenses ie coffee,showers & food but not for a weekly food shop like i and a lot of others do.

That’s ■■■■■■■ stupid! So what’s the difference of you say buying hot meals at truckstops or services everyday to say if you go out to the supermarket on a Sunday and stock up on stuff you are going to cook for yourself in the truck? None whatsoever as you are spending on food whilst at work :unamused:
I like it how HMRC make it hard for Mr average Joe to claim back on expenses but yet the shysters and lying wastes of space that fill up Westminster can claim for all sorts of crap.

Totally agree with you Steve,seems very unfair,i do a weekly shop so as to eat healthily at a reasonable cost.

happysack:
I phoned them. You need to keep a diary for 12 weeks and all receipts for everything. Ie coffee, breakfast, gas canister etc. You need to show them you are spending MORE than your night out money.

I’m out.

I got through to a lady at Chadwicks last night and she said the accountant is on holiday and when she gets back she has got over 180 queries to go through with people like me who have rang up wanting answers.
The lady said that you can still claim for the previous 4 year but it would make it easier if say you was claiming for a truck sat nav if you didn’t have
the recipt you took a photo of it so you had some proof for HMRC if they questioned it as from know on they would look into certain claims more throughly.
She did say you could tell HMRC that you hadn’t kept recipts from the previous 4 years due to you not knowing you could claim but from now on to make a diary and keep all recipts.

This week i have spent 3 quid. I never got a receipt for the pint of lager though that i had while out for a walk last night.

I never pay parking or for a shower. I take my own meals and have a kettle for coffee. Be lucky if i spend 20 quid a month, let alone a day.

My average weeks meals cost less than a tenner for 4 nights.

happysack:
I phoned them. You need to keep a diary for 12 weeks and all receipts for everything. Ie coffee, breakfast, gas canister etc. You need to show them you are spending MORE than your night out money.

I’m out.

Splash the cash for 12 weeks, get a good wedge at the end of it…then go back to your usual thrifty self.

Not a chance I’d spend over a hundred quid a week. Unless i started drinking malt in the evenings. I don’t have/need a sat nav. Rarely use a map. Got a microwave, kettle and inverter…

what about the night out rate for a sleeper cab is £26 you are allowed to be paid tax free, then what if like us you get £21.70 drivers at our place have been paid back the shortfall for the past 4 years on their tax returns. Ain’t the tax free meal allowance for mobile workers £15? If you don’t get that then surely you are doing nothing wrong in claiming the shortfall on that either? As it’s the HMRC a that set these figures and no one else.

Aye Steve that’s what i was led to believe. Now they say you have to spend that. I smell dung.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
what about the night out rate for a sleeper cab is £26 you are allowed to be paid tax free, then what if like us you get £21.70 drivers at our place have been paid back the shortfall for the past 4 years on their tax returns. Ain’t the tax free meal allowance for mobile workers £15? If you don’t get that then surely you are doing nothing wrong in claiming the shortfall on that either? As it’s the HMRC a that set these figures and no one else.

It is just over £30 night out you can receive tax free & HMCR will allow 7 years back dated tax

As long as you can prove it is for work then you can claim it back

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

happysack:

I’m out.

I got through to a lady at Chadwicks last night and she said the accountant is on holiday and when she gets back she has got over 180 queries to go through with people like me who have rang up wanting answers.
The lady said that you can still claim for the previous 4 year but it would make it easier if say you was claiming for a truck sat nav if you didn’t have
the recipt you took a photo of it so you had some proof for HMRC if they questioned it as from know on they would look into certain claims more throughly.
She did say you could tell HMRC that you hadn’t kept recipts from the previous 4 years due to you not knowing you could claim but from now on to make a diary and keep all recipts.

…good to hear that somebody as finally got through ve tried for bloody weeks to get answer …I’ll give them a call Monday any news I shall post on on ere… …wawaw

Excuse me?

animal:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

It is just over £30 night out you can receive tax free & HMCR will allow 7 years back dated tax

You can revive just over £30 tax free if you do not have a sleeper cab.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

animal:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Don’t matter was £29.50 per night out but has recently gone up a little before you pay tax on it

animal:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

animal:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Don’t matter was £29.50 pser night out but has recently gone up a little before you pay tax on it

So I can claim the difference from what we get paid for a night out to what HMRC a actually say is the going rate tax free and back date it for the last 7 year if I can prove ive had the nights out?

Yes

eddie snax:

backload:
Talk around the brew room about tax rebate for tramper drivers, you can claim back for uniforms, Satnav, fridges, CPC training, ADR training, TV. Average claim £3000 for the last 4 years.
Anybody done this yet, apparently the accountants take 20℅ of your claim.

I know you can claim for washing a uniform or buying work clothes and boots, unless your employer gives you an allowance or reimbirsement.

I think fridge and TV might fall under the night subsistence allowance.

I suppose that if your employer doesn’t provide your training that could be claimed for.

In that list I’d only be able to get an allowance for washing my uniform so haven’t bothered :wink:

Does anyone else claim the 10% of their Wifes tax allowance, if your Mrs don’t use all her personal tax allowance, then she can transfer 10% to your own, My tax code this year is 1210, giving Me a tax allowance of £12100. It only amount to about £3 a week but is simple to do, and £3 pays for a costa :wink:

a would’nt wash mi paintbrushes in that foul libation :open_mouth:

HMRC must still be willing to “accept” PAYE truckers expense claims.
Have two mates BOTH had their tax codes increased by HMRC to 1400L (or whatever the letter code is) from approx 1050L.

They had both previously submitted for previous 4yrs via CW BL and been paid out.
One gets £25nightout allowance from Montgomery and the other gets £30nightout allowance from McCulla.

So this “rumour” about you gotta spend over and above your night out allowance to claim other expenses doesn’t wash with these two!!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

There would appear to be a little bit of confusion here regarding what you actually get if you submit an expense claim to HMRC. You don’t get the whole amount back from the taxman, you get the tax that you paid on that sum - i.e. 20% for Basic rate taxpayers. So if you submit a claim for £50 expenses you will actually get £10 from the taxman (assuming they allow your claim in the first place).

As for the drivers who are paid less than the “going rate” for night out money, if you submit a claim for the difference the taxman won’t say “Here’s a cheque for the amount your employer was too stingy to give you,” instead he will say “Here’s the tax you overpaid because of your stingy employer.”

e.g. If you are paid £21 per night out (in a sleeper cab), you will have received that sum tax-free. If the taxman accepts your back-dated claim for the maximum amount of £26.20 per night, he won’t reimburse you the difference, he will refund the income tax that you had to pay on it - i.e. 20% of £5.20 = £1.04

Roymondo:
There would appear to be a little bit of confusion here regarding what you actually get if you submit an expense claim to HMRC. You don’t get the whole amount back from the taxman, you get the tax that you paid on that sum - i.e. 20% for Basic rate taxpayers. So if you submit a claim for £50 expenses you will actually get £10 from the taxman (assuming they allow your claim in the first place).

As for the drivers who are paid less than the “going rate” for night out money, if you submit a claim for the difference the taxman won’t say “Here’s a cheque for the amount your employer was too stingy to give you,” instead he will say “Here’s the tax you overpaid because of your stingy employer.”

e.g. If you are paid £21 per night out (in a sleeper cab), you will have received that sum tax-free. If the taxman accepts your back-dated claim for the maximum amount of £26.20 per night, he won’t reimburse you the difference, he will refund the income tax that you had to pay on it - i.e. 20% of £5.20 = £1.04

What about when buying food out on the road??
It subject to the 20% tax relief or full whack back from HMRC??

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Doesn’t matter what type of expense it is - be it food, parking, work clothing, buying a Satnav etc. HMRC will allow such expenses against your tax liability. So for most drivers it will be 20% of the expense amount.

e.g. If you’ve had to spend £10 on a hot meal due to being away from base, HMRC will reduce your tax liability by £2. They won’t simply refund you the full £10! (That is down to your employer, on whose behalf the expense was incurred).