Uniform clothing - tax allowance

Been meaning to do it for ages, but finally got around to claiming my tax relief for laundering the company-provided work clothes. 5 minutes to write the letter, cost of a stamp to send it and a little over a week later I have a cheque from HMRC for £44.71 - which is nice :slight_smile:

OK, it’s not going to change my life but it’s a nice little extra all the same.

We get £62 a month to clean our uniform :smiley: taxable though :unamused: :laughing:

As the slogan says every little helps :wink: How far back can you claim■■? :smiley:

How and were do you claim and send the letter

I rang the tax office and did it on the phone think it was 6 years, some companies automatically do it though so not everyone will be entitled.

I followed the advice/instructions here:

moneysavingexpert.com/reclai … tax-rebate

Drift:
We get £62 a month to clean our uniform :smiley: taxable though :unamused: :laughing:

Yes you can go back 6 years,I sorted this for the old DHLcontainer group.I had a letter formated and put out to all depots.Results were varied some people got more than others though everyone who applied got money back,you will also see a change in your tax code as the allowance will be then be paid weekly/monthly depending on your pay cycle.

Interesting stuff … just off to write a letter to the tax office. :sunglasses:

must tell our driver’s rep about this one…he’s been to see the GM about meal allowance,hoping to get £5 per day.some hope!

Just curious. Does the company get clobbered in form of tax etc if you claiming tax for washing uniform?

Cruise Control:
Just curious. Does the company get clobbered in form of tax etc if you claiming tax for washing uniform?

No, they shoundn’t because it is you that is suffering the expense.

No the tax allowance for this is just an adjustment to your personal tax allowance.

Drift:

I might wrong, but shouldnt that be £62 per year