Tax Relief for wearing uniform at work

Hi all,
Just to let you all know you are entitled to a £60 flat rate job expenses tax releif for the upkeep (washing ironing etc) of your uniform.
It can also be backdated for 2 years. I have just recieved my revised tax code after writing to the tax office and asking for it.
So get the pen and paper out and claim your money back. Nobody wants to pay more tax than they should do :wink:
Good luck.
John

i got £2.00 per week backdated for 6 yrs :smiley:

Do you have a copy of the letter you sent so we can use it as a template?

damion.p:
Do you have a copy of the letter you sent so we can use it as a template?

No I don’t I’m afraid,
All I put was " I would like to claim tax releif for the upkeep of my company uniform as I am compelled to wear it whilst doing my job as a LGV driver.
They need to know the company you work for and when you started and ask for it to be backdated.
Aparently they have agreed with the union that £60 a year is what it costs for the upkeep but you do not have to be a union member to get the tax relief.
Hope that helps

Good shout. Any full-time employee can claim this?

gets pen ready

Edit: So just reading Madbazz post below, you have to buy the uniform yourself in the first place? We get ours given so we can’t claim for laundering? Or am I reading it wrong?

there is a thread on this somewhere on that martins money tips thingy if you search there it normally has some sort of template!

You don’t have to be a union member, last time I claimed I got the equivalent of £3.25 pw.

HMRC:
What about uniforms
You can get tax relief on the cost of repairing, cleaning or replacing a uniform if:
it’s a recognisable uniform that shows you’ve got a certain sort of job - like a nurse or police uniform
your employer requires you to wear it while you’re working
you’ve got to pay for it yourself

Clicky

Expenses Table

I wrote a letter last year with no response? What was the address you sent your letter to?

Saxon786:
Edit: So just reading Madbazz post below, you have to buy the uniform yourself in the first place? We get ours given so we can’t claim for laundering? Or am I reading it wrong?

We don’t pay for our uniform, but we are able to claim for the cleaning of same.
(there is a telephone no we have to call on the notice board at work)

Note to self :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:
Must get round to calling the number.

If you have to launder your own uniform then you can claim. If your workplace has a laundry service (such as engineering firms) then you obviously can’t claim.

Cheers chaps, my letter is typed and ready for the off :slight_smile: Just tried ringing this no. 0845 300 0627 and after 3 minutes of selecting option after option the beggar was engaged!! :angry: :unamused: so am sending to what I hope is my local tax office. rubs hands in anticipation

I am sure when I applied one condition was that uniform had to have a company logo on it too and not just plain workwear (may be wrong though have slept since)

Norfolknewbie:
I am sure when I applied one condition was that uniform had to have a company logo on it too and not just plain workwear (may be wrong though have slept since)

I think that is correct from what I remember my ex telling me. (She was an accountant).

Remember that £60 per year is tax allowance - you will get tax relief on that amount so it is worth 20% of that (or whatever the basic tax rate is at the time). It almost costs more to claim it :unamused:

If you are agency with umbrella company then chances are they are already claiming it for you.

i did this a few years ago, and ended up owning them bloody money for a few agency shifts i did at the time, :laughing:

am sure when I applied one condition was that uniform had to have a company logo on it too and not just plain workwear (may be wrong though have slept since

No need for logo

I work in a garage and have just received a similar payment claiming back tax spent on tools, 20% of a flat rate £120 going back 5 years or so. As said worth it for the sake of a letter.

I’ll give the uniform one a go too now as that also applies to me.

You should send your letters to the tax office which deals with your employers PAYE. Make sure your employers tax reference and National Insurance number are clearly marked as it will speed up the claiming process.

My wife works for Tesco and sent a letter in and got a refund within 3 weeks. Her work colleagues who sent the letter to either the wrong place or didn’t put all the info on, are still waiting!

I was told by the tax people your uniform MUST have a logo ,
I have been claiming for (I think the call it "industrial cleaning allowance ")
All they do is check with your employer that it meets there requirements , once that’s done think everyone else in the company can apply trouble free.
Also tryed to claim as we pay for half the uniforms(not PPE) but was told this did not meet the authorised people who can claim back uniform costs :frowning:

Yes got my new tax code this week £60 a month for washing logoed uniform and it was back dated 7 years, won’t give you cheque refund now, will just spread the rebate over the next tax year.This is how I sent my letter:

Tax Reference Number
NI Number
Dear Sirs,

I would be grateful if you could recalculate my tax code taking into account that I have to launder my own workwear as below.

Name of Employer
Claiming for Laundering of… weekly
Industry Worked In
Job Title/Occupation
Laundry services provided? None
Any payment/vouchers? None
Date of Workwear Introduction

I would like to claim from … as this was when my employer introduced the wearing of logo workwear.

I trust this information is sufficient for you to recalculate my tax code. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.
Hope this helps.