help needed

right, picked up the unit this morning and thought i’d shoot down to the steel works and hook up a trailer to make sure everything was how it should be, ready for monday. alls well except no electrics to the trailer, tried another one to be sure and nothing, no lights or indicators etc, the leads stuck fast on the unit end so couldn’t try another lead. the garage owner is away for the weekend and says his lads aren’t there until monday at 8.00 which isn’t much use as i’m loading at 6.00 so is there anything obviouse i should look at? all the lights work as normal on the unit.
anyone got any ideas?

I’m not familiar with your paticular unit but check to see if there is a separate fuse for the trailer lights.
open up the suzie connectors to make sure the wiring isn’t rotten/coroded or loose
Try it on another trailer to make sure it’s not a trailer fault
Try and er borrow a suzie off another unit just to make sure it’s not your lead

Oh if all that fails see if the Stockyard or somwhere similar is open they may sell suzies

paul b:
the leads stuck fast on the unit end so couldn’t try another

Sounds like this is contributing to the problem, if not the cause of it. If the lead is stuck, jammed it could be broken pins or corrosion.

It could be the Trailer fuses in the unit, but I don’t think every circuit on the trailer would be on the same fuse.
Most likely the Suzi, they lead a hard life.
For all the lights not to work I would have thought the earth connection that has broken,
You could try to put a meter from any connector on the suzie (except the earth ) and the chassis. If you get a reading then the problem most likely is the suzie earth.

muckles:
Most likely the Suzi, they lead a hard life.
For all the lights not to work I would have thought the earth connection that has broken,

Try using a jump lead to earth the trailer to the unit, other wise I would say the suzi/unit plug is {zb]ed at the unit end.

One small thing to consider Paul, and I am not saying you did this.

We had a driver in our yard a while ago, who insisted that no lights were working on the trailer despite trying everything he could think of. It was true, no lights were working, but he had plugged the wrong end of the suzi into the trailer. The plug at the unit end was only plugged into the holder used for stowage purposes and not the actual socket. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

:laughing: i might be daft but i’m not stupid! :laughing:
going down in the morning to see if i can get the socket free, seems this will hopefully be the prob, got a spare suzie to try once i’ve got the old one out.
on another note, it’s a twin split which i’ve only driven a couple of times before, but what a box these are! makes even my gear changes seem smooth :sunglasses:

paul b:
but what a box these are! makes even my gear changes seem smooth :sunglasses:

You’ll love it once you get used to it!!!

:laughing: But it’ll make you cuss until you do! :laughing:

Coffeeholic:

We had a driver in our yard a while ago, who insisted that no lights were working on the trailer despite trying everything he could think of. It was true, no lights were working, but he had plugged the wrong end of the suzi into the trailer. The plug at the unit end was only plugged into the holder used for stowage purposes and not the actual socket. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Guilty! (ABS lead, early days on artics) :blush: :blush: :blush:

I had this once someone had rammed the white Susie into the black socket pushing the main contact back. :angry: :imp: :angry:

Well Paul? You got it sorted, or are you still down the yard with a torch?

It seems very strange that a unit that was servicable suddenly has a fault. I would think that the plugs are in the wrong hole.

Lights are normally fused sided, not back and front

no joy, got the lead out of the socket with the help of a bit of wd but the contacts were clean, tried another lead, no good, checked all fuses, nothing a miss.
only thing i can think is it’s just had the chasis shot blasted and painted so perhaps the wiring’s been disturbed in the process. hopefully it’s something and nothing as i’ve got a lot on, only consolation is i got the trailer loaded ready.
how can you put the lead in the wrong socket when the top pin is either male or female? :confused:
daftest thing is the garage was using the unit to move a trailer round the yard last week, you’d think someone would’ve had the common to plug the electrics in to make sure everything was working.

marcustandy:

paul b:

the twin splitters so much easier to use than a syncro, i can’t understand why a lot more wagons didn’t have this box or why they stopped making em?

paul b:

marcustandy:

paul b:

the twin splitters so much easier to use than a syncro, i can’t understand why a lot more wagons didn’t have this box or why they stopped making em?

They are so much easier to use than a synchro, but the EU and this numptie government decided to bring in a drive by noise limit which a straight cut constant mesh box cannot pass.

It is still ok though for chavs and drug dealers to have straight through pipes on their novas and scoobies :confused:

Coffeeholic:

ive done that and felt a right prat. :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Coffeeholic:

jessicas dad:

Coffeeholic:

You can get locked up for thatr kind of behaviour you know :open_mouth: .

turned to be broken wiring under the cab, took the sparky about five minutes to find it and another five to fix it, so not so bad.
anyone run one of these who knows how to use the road relay?