Would You?

Im suffering a major failure of the o/s lightning on my truck and trailer. Its blowing fuses like no tomorrow. Iv not a good understanding of electrics generally, as it and rats are my weakest points by a mile! That being a case in point, I have been asked by my office to drive to my nearest repair outlet, although I dont know where yet, as im slightly east of my usual patch, south of grantham on the A1.
Now I would never contemplate doing this in the dark, But would I be wise doing it in daylight or not?

Yes.

As long as you have defected it, and visibility is good, and you have wrote on your defect sheet that you made a call to the office at 00:00 (Example.) and you get stopped, you can tell the Police or VOSA you are on your way to have it repaired at Bloggs garage in Grantham. (Or wherever.) They should be able to ring Bloggs and confirm that you are telling the truth.

Ken.

Day light should be ok as you are taking to a place for repair.
A couple of things you could check-
Disconnect the Leky Suzies & put a fuse in, then if the tractor lights stay on, it’s not the unit-reconnect the suzies- if it blows the fuse it’s the trailer. One of the bulb holders might be shorting out or a wire might have worn through & be rubbing against the trailer. Just have a visual check of the wires & if something looks dodgy/broken you might be able to cover it with tape (might get you out of the S h i t)

does it keep blowing fuses if you disconnect the suzzies?

that could point to whether it is truck or trailer

i’d unplug the electrics from the trailer, then try a new fuse. if it blows you know it’s at the cab end, if not it’s at the trailer end. if it is the trailer end (and i’ll give you 2 to 1 odds on it) run your hand under the chimes by the mudguards, this is a common place to get a broken wire.
other than that just drive it on and make out you knew [zb] all about it.

A few years ago yes,nowadays no.

First thing I’d try is a replacement susie.

And I wouldn’t use Bloggs in Grantham either. Cowboys the lot of them!

I used to have this quite often when using the Immingham to Cuxhaven freighter because the trailer suspension would have to be raised as high as it would go to avoid the rear bumper hitting the deck on the ramp etc. Alright on most trailers but our new Schmitz’s at the time came without enough slack in the wiring to allow for this and in time would rub against the framework of the trailer and eventually shorten out when the wire became exposed. It took me umpteen fuses to figure out what was going on but eventually found the offending wire just inside the rear bumper.

Is it a MAN by any chance? we’ve had this on a few of ours recently. Always just down one side. Keeps blowing fuses like no tomorrow. On my truck it was because of a minuscule nick in the wiring loom connecting one of the side markers in the side skirts.

Alex

Scarab:
Is it a MAN by any chance? we’ve had this on a few of ours recently. Always just down one side. Keeps blowing fuses like no tomorrow. On my truck it was because of a minuscule nick in the wiring loom connecting one of the side markers in the side skirts.

Alex

IIRC, it is a little pink scania :wink:

Scarab:

Alex

i have also encountered this problem with a man…if i remember correctly…the problem was caused by water collecting in the back of the connector…where the wires come out the back of the cab.
when the fitter took the cap off…all the wires had rotted away.
he made new connections,then filled the void with sillicon…seemed to do the trick :sunglasses:

el1297_15pin_socket[1].gif

in the back of this…the wires had gone green,and were turning to powder

Thanks for all the advice. It is def the trailer, as I have exhausted the fuses I had. It is nearly daylight and my planners still have not given me a repair venue.

So call somebody out good idea.Soon find the fault but could be top rear position marker so what the hell do you want me to do? wear stilts or climb on the roof.

Dont be a tart its bloody daylight just drive the soddin thing to a garage and hopefully somebody with as bit of common will fix it.

Jesus wept!!! Bet if it was your car with a tail light out on a Friday night you would get the bugger home.

Pull the susie and drive on the trailer fogs if its poppin the N susie fuse.