Electrical defect

Morning guys. This morning I picked a trailer up and when connecting all the lines I noticed I had no near side back light or side markers. All brake and indicator lights are working though. So I’ve defected it and let my boss know.

But now I’ve hooked up to another trainee and still have the same issue so I’m assuming it’s a problem with my tractor unit rather than the two trailers?! Could anyone point me in the right direction on what could be causing it.

Apologises for seeming so stupid as I know it’s unlikely anyone will be able to diagnose a fault over an Internet message board haha!

Have you tried another lead?

No, in on the road so don’t have access to one at the moment

check for a blown fuse

scotstrucker:
check for a blown fuse

As already sayed check the fuse for trailer marker lights.I would say its a fuse and not the lead if you tryed it on a other trailer.

I haven’t got a clue where to be looking on the fuse board!

When you lift the flap/lid theres usually a diagram telling you whats what

All sorted now, was a 10 amp fuse…thanks for he help everyone.

A tip given to me a while ago was to switch your units lights to sidelamps only when plugging in your suzies. This was because some makes were susceptible to blowing a fuse for the lamps down one side of the trailer if the headlamps were on.

I’d get new suzies when you get back to the yard as it may be a start of a short in one of the connectors.

The truck only got serviced last week and the suzie was replaced then so it’s virtually brand new. Replaced the fuse and all is working well so far. I will keep an eye it though and obviously if it happens again I’ll check the line. Thanks for all the advice again.

GCR2ERF:
A tip given to me a while ago was to switch your units lights to sidelamps only when plugging in your suzies. This was because some makes were susceptible to blowing a fuse for the lamps down one side of the trailer if the headlamps were on.

I never connect the suzies with any light on.

If near side tractor lights are working the susie is goosed .

Why do they not teach people who want drive a truck at least the soddin basics of how the bloody things work
There has to be a way to at least teach the basics of how the bloody things"work"
It is not rocket science and think how much companies could save on call out/recovery costs if the folk who drive the bloody things had just a touch of training into how the bloody things worked.
Not only would it benefit the company but would also allow the drivers to be more comfortable with the vehicle they drive.

scotstrucker:
check for a blown fuse

Turns your lights off when dropping/picking up trailers.

I always have the lights and fourways on when picking up trailers with no problems what so ever, I have heard though that having the engine running whilst connecting up has been known fry the trailer ABS/ESP ECU.