Hauliers from around Lancaster & Surrounding area's

A picture on Bubbleman’s fantastic Scrapbook thread has prompted this post. In the early seventies my boss decided that four wheelers didn’t pay so in a very short time they all disappeared. Older ones were sold but the three newest were sent to Primrose Axles at Blackburn to have a “self-steering” axle put in front of the drive axle. These axles acted on the castor principle and when moving forward steered with the front axle but if you didn’t lock them in the straight ahead they would go the wrong way in reverse. Putting the third axle in lifted the gross weight to 20 tons but power to weight regs reduced that after a couple of years. The three wagons were the ERF with Gardner 5LW and the Dennis and Dodge, both with Perkins 6:354 engines and if Bewick should look in here I think the driver in the ERF is Eric Atkinson

truckfing:
A picture on Bubbleman’s fantastic Scrapbook thread has prompted this post. In the early seventies my boss decided that four wheelers didn’t pay so in a very short time they all disappeared. Older ones were sold but the three newest were sent to Primrose Axles at Blackburn to have a “self-steering” axle put in front of the drive axle. These axles acted on the castor principle and when moving forward steered with the front axle but if you didn’t lock them in the straight ahead they would go the wrong way in reverse. Putting the third axle in lifted the gross weight to 20 tons but power to weight regs reduced that after a couple of years. The three wagons were the ERF with Gardner 5LW and the Dennis and Dodge, both with Perkins 6:354 engines and if Bewick should look in here I think the driver in the ERF is Eric Atkinson

What payload did those converted six wheelers have David ? I drove a Ford D series six wheeler in 1970 not converted,that carried 13 ton 8cwt at 20 ton gross.
Cheers Dave.

Can’t tell you Dave. I only mended them, I didn’t get a license for almost 20 years after these were taken.

A lot of six wheelers at that time carried just over 12 ton 15 cwt David.I just thought that with the primrose conversion those could have been lighter. The two Fords the C M Philpotts had were the lightest six wheelers in these quarries at that time.The Leylands and Albions at 20 ton gross were heavier.There were a couple of Leyland Retriever’s with the 600 engine running at 22 ton gross.
Cheers Dave.

We had a Dodge stretched and a trailing axle put on it that ran at 22 tons but it only had a 354 perkins in it. It would have carried plenty but I bet it was hard work getting it there.

R.M.Kenyon & Son of Ortner , Abbeystead , near Lancaster is a well-established family haulage business.
Son , Paul now only operates one wagon , currently this E.R.F. 6 wheeler, - his third E.R.F.

Livestock into Lancaster Auction Mart was the order of the day when this photograph was taken.

Cheers, cattle wagon man.

one from me.

Alan Thompson Carnforth

One of S J Bargh’s fleet outside tank manufactors Sayers Road Tankers Leeming Bar Northallerton (taken from web site)

Lancaster based Ashton Haulage. Bulk Tipper Division it say’s on the door but it is the one and only tipper of theirs that I have seen.

Two owner driver’s motors that parked in the same yard as me in the early 80s. Chris Harrison from Morecambe had the Scania tipper which was a 6x2 with a lift up rear axle which was great for going off road but could not be used ,when raised, on the road in those days and Chris Molyneaux from Bolton le Sands had the Seddon Atkinson which ran out of High Roads Quarry brick plant.

A couple for you, having re-read the initial post request mebbe not Johnsons :question: I can take it off :blush: .
Oily

H

truckfing:
Two owner driver’s motors that parked in the same yard as me in the early 80s. Chris Harrison from Morecambe had the Scania tipper which was a 6x2 with a lift up rear axle which was great for going off road but could not be used ,when raised, on the road in those days and Chris Molyneaux from Bolton le Sands had the Seddon Atkinson which ran out of High Roads Quarry brick plant.

Hi truckfing the shot of chris h,s scania brings back some memories,usually a good laugh,he would buy it off LG Packham after working for him for a while, and i also worked many years alongside chris molly out of high roads…

Hi Jackslad, I bought my first wagon off Richard Packham, Geoff’s brother. I was working out of Back Lane one Saturday and had to weigh at High Roads because the weighbridge was out of order. Only time I got in there, but I remember when it was Penningtons and the orange mixers used to run out of there.

Line - up of Lancashire-based Scanias at Scorton Vintage Rally, a few years ago.

The question is,…will Dennis recognise the chap striding in front of the 143 ?

truckfing:
Hi Jackslad, I bought my first wagon off Richard Packham, Geoff’s brother. I was working out of Back Lane one Saturday and had to weigh at High Roads because the weighbridge was out of order. Only time I got in there, but I remember when it was Penningtons and the orange mixers used to run out of there.

Every now and than a name comes out of the either that just hits close to home - We knew Geoff well for many years, I used to go quad biking up at the christian place he ran at Bolton-Le-Sands, recently retired and moved from where he lived though.

cattle wagon man:
Line - up of Lancashire-based Scanias at Scorton Vintage Rally, a few years ago.

The question is,…will Dennis recognise the chap striding in front of the 143 ?

Sorry Roy I don’t ken him,he’s a big ugly ■■■■ though,if I was John Richards I wouldn’t have the likes of him sniffing round if they were my motors!! I hope he has padlocks on his derv tanks !! Cheers Dennis.

Photo0007.jpg

Photo0008.jpg hows tuis for a picture take on Christmas eve

koikeeper:
0 hows tuis for a picture take on Christmas eve

Would love to know what tyres Woodhouse’s are running, they stick well at that angle! :laughing:

dew:

koikeeper:
0 hows tuis for a picture take on Christmas eve

Would love to know what tyres Woodhouse’s are running, they stick well at that angle! :laughing:

Bridgestone ! Anon1.