Hauliers from around Lancaster & Surrounding area's

One here from the Malcolm Woodhouse fleet. brand new ERF not yet registered by the looks of it…Photo with kind permission off E.R.F from his flickr site.

Malcolm Woodhouse.jpg

The back of the photoraph say’s this picture was taken on 30/04/1973. It was taken on Carnforth wagon park (now houses) which used to have at least a dozen wagons on it every night. From left to right are owner driver Harry Wilson’s AEC Marshall that he ran for LSM, later to become Tilcon and then a Dodge that I have recorded as being Lancaster Fairings and then a Robert Gardner Dodge. I think Robert Gardner were a builders supply company on Lancaster Quay but I could be wrong. Don’t know what the cut off Dodge was but they were ten a penny those days.

truckfing:
The back of the photoraph say’s this picture was taken on 30/04/1973. It was taken on Carnforth wagon park (now houses) which used to have at least a dozen wagons on it every night. From left to right are owner driver Harry Wilson’s AEC Marshall that he ran for LSM, later to become Tilcon and then a Dodge that I have recorded as being Lancaster Fairings and then a Robert Gardner Dodge. I think Robert Gardner were a builders supply company on Lancaster Quay but I could be wrong. Don’t know what the cut off Dodge was but they were ten a penny those days.

Hi David,
Good nostalgic pic.That cut off Dodge could be a six wheeler judging by the twin rams on it,although several four wheelers had the same.
I drove one of those Dodge’s,but I would have preferred to have driven that AEC Marshall.
Cheers Dave.

I’ve been in the loft Dave and found some pictures I thought I would never see again. The Dodge with twin rams was a four wheeler but next to that is the headlight and part of the grille of another. I would have said it was an Ernie Moore who I used too work for but it has a light coloured roof which is not right for them. The Marshall was a hell of a wagon, my dad drove an eight wheeler.

truckfing:
I’ve been in the loft Dave and found some pictures I thought I would never see again. The Dodge with twin rams was a four wheeler but next to that is the headlight and part of the grille of another. I would have said it was an Ernie Moore who I used too work for but it has a light coloured roof which is not right for them. The Marshall was a hell of a wagon, my dad drove an eight wheeler.

I drove a Leyland Comet with the ergo cab David.I much preferred it to the Dodge,it held the road better and was a much nicer vehicle to drive.
Hope you find some more pics in your loft,that one has a good atmosphere to it.
Cheers Dave.

I have some A49 ones to put on your thread if that is OK Dave

truckfing:
I have some A49 ones to put on your thread if that is OK Dave

That will be great David.I don’t mind anyone posting on it.I only started it,its open to anyone.
Cheers Dave.

Ernie Moore Atkinson on Carnforth wagon park in 1973. Wish I could go back with my digital camera to take these again.

truckfing:
Ernie Moore Atkinson on Carnforth wagon park in 1973. Wish I could go back with my digital camera to take these again.

That looks a proper working wagon David.Keep them coming.
Cheers Dave.

My grandad used to park his wagon on Carnforth Wagon park right up till his retirment, Last two I remember are a Volvo F7 (Photo is on David Smith’s wagonpics site) and then an FL7 aftwards.

Name was Les Newton, Lived in Carnforth for near 40 years.

dew:
My grandad used to park his wagon on Carnforth Wagon park right up till his retirment, Last two I remember are a Volvo F7 (Photo is on David Smith’s wagonpics site) and then an FL7 aftwards.

I knew Les well DEW. First met him when he bought a K type Dodge 4 wheeler from Joe Shepherd and put it in Silverdale Quarry where I was a fitter. Your Dad had an AEC Marshall at that time if I remember correctly but soon joined the family standard Reiver club. Shortly after I started as an owner driver in 1984 3 of us with 6 wheelers were sent to Caldbeck Quarry near Penrith by Kingston Minerals who owned both quarries. Me, Les and Tim Bragg, who drove for Derek Waring at Sandside took them up on it. They gave us each a load from Silverdale to Carlisle Royal Infirmary and then we went to Caldbeck quarry and we were supposed to stay at Caldbeck for a week but we all went home at night. It didn’t last long because the quarry hadn’t enough stone crushed to keep all the wagons going that they had sent there and we soon ended up back in Silverdale. This picture is from around that time and was taken near Carnforth on a pipeline. They used to give you an address and when you got there they expected you to drive another 10 miles along the pipeline so they didn’t pay the rate for where you ended up. We were off across the fields here but I hit some soft ground and lost it. The machine driver was French and couldn’t understand what we wanted but eventually was persuaded to take enough off the back of mine to enable me to back out. The Reiver was mine and the Bison was Derek Waring’s

truckfing:

dew:

I knew Les well DEW. First met him when he bought a K type Dodge 4 wheeler from Joe Shepherd and put it in Silverdale Quarry where I was a fitter. Your Dad had an AEC Marshall at that time if I remember correctly but soon joined the family standard Reiver club. Shortly after I started as an owner driver in 1984 3 of us with 6 wheelers were sent to Caldbeck Quarry near Penrith by Kingston Minerals who owned both quarries. Me, Les and Tim Bragg, who drove for Derek Waring at Sandside took them up on it. They gave us each a load from Silverdale to Carlisle Royal Infirmary and then we went to Caldbeck quarry and we were supposed to stay at Caldbeck for a week but we all went home at night. It didn’t last long because the quarry hadn’t enough stone crushed to keep all the wagons going that they had sent there and we soon ended up back in Silverdale. This picture is from around that time and was taken near Carnforth on a pipeline. They used to give you an address and when you got there they expected you to drive another 10 miles along the pipeline so they didn’t pay the rate for where you ended up. We were off across the fields here but I hit some soft ground and lost it. The machine driver was French and couldn’t understand what we wanted but eventually was persuaded to take enough off the back of mine to enable me to back out. The Reiver was mine and the Bison was Derek Waring’s

We still have some photo’s at my Grandad’s from when they both had Reivers, sadly a little before my time as the oldest truck I remember was the Constructor in Green & Red, cracking truck and sometimes wish we still had it today! Les worked out of Silverdale right up till his retirment and the quarry closing, it’s all been landscaped off now. This was his F7 on your site as I said above, the FL7 was ex-Tarmac and still in their basic colours.

The quarrying hasn’t moved on re: address’s though, I remember a few years ago going with my dad to a set of roadworks “10 miles north of dumfries” (yep, that’s what the ticket said), not sure how far it actually was, but it was a solid hours driving past! :laughing:

Back to March 1974 for these black and whites. Syd Preston and Warrens were side by side at Midland Sheds Carnforth, now G&A Thursby storage. G.E. Moore were at Nether Kellet near Carnforth. For all the years that Syd Preston operated and the many wagons he had I have never seen another picture although there are several photos of G.E. Moore vehicles that I have seen so mine are not unique. Warrens were a small civil engineering firm who only ever had a couple of wagons.

truckfing:
Back to March 1974 for these black and whites. Syd Preston and Warrens were side by side at Midland Sheds Carnforth, now G&A Thursby storage. G.E. Moore were at Nether Kellet near Carnforth. For all the years that Syd Preston operated and the many wagons he had I have never seen another picture although there are several photos of G.E. Moore vehicles that I have seen so mine are not unique. Warrens were a small civil engineering firm who only ever had a couple of wagons.

Classics shots of Syds AEC’s “Truckfing” they would have probably been some of the last new motors he would have bought ? I always thought that Syd ran some atrocious looking tyres,he even looked to run “big lugged” drive axle tyres on the steering axles,he also seemed to run a lot of Pirellis from what I re-call.Sorry to go on about tyres,but they were always my favourite subject within an operation and I always maintained that by having a quick glance at a particular fleet’s tyres it was always a good pointer to what sort of outfit they were. Cheers Dennis.

Can’t remember what sort of tyre he bought Dennis, can’t even remember a tyre fitter working but I think that tyres were done outside the workshop and then rolled into the tyre store by Syd. He kept total control of tyres and even did the cutting himself. He would not consider a tyre cut properly until you could see wires in the grooves all the way round. We had a full set of brand new tyres for the test station.

truckfing:
Can’t remember what sort of tyre he bought Dennis, can’t even remember a tyre fitter working but I think that tyres were done outside the workshop and then rolled into the tyre store by Syd. He kept total control of tyres and even did the cutting himself. He would not consider a tyre cut properly until you could see wires in the grooves all the way round. We had a full set of brand new tyres for the test station.

Black and round,“Truckfing”,black and round,thats all they were to a lot of operators but believe me you neglected your tyres at your peril ! It was a double edged sword,tyre breakdowns affected your operational efficiency but also impacted heavily on the running costs of an operation,however large or small.Cheers Dennis.

Hi truckfing.Cracking photos mate.
I may have asked you this before,did you know Tony Pollard geordie lad,Ken Holt,Brian Holt or George Booth during your time at Ernie Moores? they would have been there during the late 60s early 70s I think.

Stanfield:
Hi truckfing.Cracking photos mate.
I may have asked you this before,did you know Tony Pollard geordie lad,Ken Holt,Brian Holt or George Booth during your time at Ernie Moores? they would have been there during the late 60s early 70s I think.

I knew Tony Pollard and Brian Holt Stanfield, not sure about the other 2 names. I used to baby sit for Tony and another driver. Kept me out of the pub and helped wages stretch nearly all week.

Dennis I agree totally about tyres and after a learning period I would not have remoulds on my motors. I was persuaded once to try some better quality remoulds against my better judgement and one blew off in Crewe one Sunday morning. They were all taken off and new ones went back on after that. I couldn’t afford to have a wagon loaded with tarmac sat around for hours waiting for a tyre fitter.