Handballing stuff off truck

adam277:
Switchlogic are you driving again yet?

Not yet no, waiting for DVLA to lift the medical suspension on my licence. I’m told they can be very slow. I’d be at work tomorrow if they lifted it today. Been fit to drive for several weeks Well as fit as I can be, many would argue I’ve never been fit to drive :wink: :smiley:

switchlogic:

adam277:

Not yet no, waiting for DVLA to lift the medical suspension on my licence. I’m told they can be very slow. I’d be at work tomorrow if they lifted it today. Been fit to drive for several weeks Well as fit as I can be, many would argue I’ve never been fit to drive :wink: :smiley:

That is a massive understatement.
They are inept, slow and full of bs.
They dont care what your doctor says, or what your medical records say. They are box ticking numpties.

I am curious though, did you tell them about the incident voluntary? Or did you doctor have to inform them?

I think with my Dad he told them, he only had slight sleep apnea. He got warned not to tell them but my Dad wanted to do it all by the book. Took over 6 months to get his license back even when his own doctor cleared him to drive.
(Although he is only a car driver not hgv)

albion:
If months of handball caused your back problems its because your back had problems already.

I spent 5 years as forklift driver, but it wasn’t a cushy move pallets around job, less than a quarter of my time was spent on the forklift. The rest of it was handball, from stripping out a Greek trailer loaded with with 3000 loose boxes of t-shirts to loading deep sea containers with group age, mostly drums including 45 gallon drums, heavy cases of engineering parts. No ramp, load on the back end and haul it down with a pallet truck. Clambering onto the first layer of 45s to start the second layer was always a personal fave. I also took a perverse pride in actually getting the max in them.

Whilst I have a back issue, it doesn’t relate to the loading.

As has been said many times before, its up to you to make of life as you will. Don’t like something, you are not a tree, move on. If you arent getting the jobs you want, then instead of blaming everyone else for your circumstances, then look in the mirror and ask yourself where you are going wrong. This stupid face fits obsession should be the first to go. If your face doesn’t fit, it’s simply because an employer finds you lacking somewhere in comparison to other candidates, or as in my case where people were recommended to me, your friends wouldn’t put you up for a job, which is frankly the more worrying of the two scenarios.

If ‘months’ of hand balling artics wouldn’t do it then how come there are claims where causation has actually been proven where even just lifting a specific item has done it.
How come I had no previous back issues before doing that.
Yes agreed heaving building materials around and also some labouring yard duties on the council probably wouldn’t have helped but obviously no effects from any of that more than 10 years previously.
So why do you think the firm admitted contributory causation.
As for face fits it isn’t just my career that’s been wrecked by the institutionalised ‘nepotism’ and favouritism’ that starngely applies to this industry.
How many times do we see the juistified moan from new drivers that they are being held back by the ‘experience’ word.It’s all a matter of luck from that point.
Your reference to needing ‘friends’ , who obviously run a haulage fleet, and who don’t expect their drivers to break their backs handballing loads, to get round that situation, says it all.
I was obviously right out of luck at that point.Like switch my closest mentor was my Dad, ironically he did everything possible to put me off truck driving.
So that was my choice break my back working in the dregs of the road transport industry because those like switchlogic were considered more worthy or go out with depression if I’d have took his advice to work in a factory.
Strange how no one found me ‘lacking’ for the 5 years I did with my first employer and 5 years with my second and around 15 years service with my 3rd.You did read my 10 years service commendation with the latter in that regard.
Let’s get this right switchlogic is moaning because my first employer saw enough there to employ me for 5 years and move me from factory work at my request and pay for my class 2.Yeah right something must have been lacking there.
If it was something lacking in me then that would obviously have applied from that point.Then I could have avoided being lumbered with all the zb work, based on the selectively applied ‘experience’ word, which followed and which strangely I wasn’t considered as being lacking for. :unamused:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:
[
At best I would have only been fit enough to work in an office at which point it would have been a lottery between being sacked for incompetence or going out with depression first.

So you chose to never work again to avoid potential depression working in an office…that worked out well then… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You seem to have selective cognitive deficit.Which part of competence and chucking away an expensive insurance policy providing me with exactly that choice didn’t you get.You won’t get your licence back with that level of cognitive ability.
If I was cut out to be an office clerical type that’s the job I would have done from leaving school.
I seem to remember that you went to work in the office for some reason remind me how did that work out for you.Maybe they were just trying to save you from your own driving shortfalls.You know like can’t handle a proper box can’t keep it between the lines and upright on its wheels. :unamused:

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:
[
At best I would have only been fit enough to work in an office at which point it would have been a lottery between being sacked for incompetence or going out with depression first.

So you chose to never work again to avoid potential depression working in an office…that worked out well then… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You seem to have selective cognitive deficit.Which part of competence and chucking away an expensive insurance policy providing me with exactly that choice didn’t you get.You won’t get your licence back with that level of cognitive ability.
If I was cut out to be an office clerical type that’s the job I would have done from leaving school.
I seem to remember that you went to work in the office for some reason remind me how did that work out for you.Maybe they were just trying to save you from your own driving shortfalls.You know like can’t handle a proper box can’t keep it between the lines and upright on its wheels. :unamused:

Oh look, LazyFast has a new word, cognitive.

Yes, you remember my office stint because I told everyone. The some reason was to set up their U.K. depot and get a U.K. O Licence* in my name. So that achieved at least, I just wasn’t cut out for day to day running of a depot. No office work wasn’t for me, I wasn’t all that and it came to an end. At least I tried, was a mistake…that I made…see that? That’s taking responsibility for mistakes, something alien to you. But hey I gave it a go, so I’m not left years later wondering what could have been and getting bitter because I took the risk and jumped into the unknown. BUT, I’d go back and I’d make the most of office work in a heartbeat were the choice that or retiring to the sofa at 40. When crippled in bed last year I was considering what work I could do. But then I’m not as lazy as you. So was the licence taken from you because of medial issues or did you just in fact give up and decide a life watching daytime TV was for you? So yeah in an ideal world office work doesn’t suit me, or you, and you claim it would get you down. If you were any more down you’d be halfway to Australia :wink:

Carryfast:
Which part of competence and chucking away an expensive insurance policy providing me with exactly that choice didn’t you ge

Seems that worked out well for you then…excuses excuses excuses

You made your choices, you did your time, all five minutes of it, and here we are so stop making excuses and whinging.

*Also looking into becoming an External TM as there’s a fairly decent amount of money in that. Do you have a CPC Maybe you could do same. Though it’s clear you prefer spouting nonsense on here to actually doing some work. Not too surprising tho I suppose after a majority of your life spent doing F all. :wink:

Carryfast:
You know like can’t handle a proper box can’t keep it between the lines and upright on its wheels.

And even then I’ve still driven a ‘proper box’ much more recently than you. In contrast you cant handle a truck at all, maybe why you gave up so easily. They always say people pick on others failings to mask their own, and you have mentioned my accidents A LOT. A hilarious amount. Covering up your own failings maybe? But I’m not expecting an honest answer as you don’t do honesty

Lets see how long it takes ‘failed transport manager’ to become LazyFasts new obsession.

Bismillah Sweet man. ■■■

If I wanted to unload lorries, my job title would be “lorry unloader”. :stuck_out_tongue:

adam277:

switchlogic:

adam277:

That is a massive understatement.
They are inept, slow and full of bs.
They dont care what your doctor says, or what your medical records say. They are box ticking numpties.

I am curious though, did you tell them about the incident voluntary? Or did you doctor have to inform them?

I think with my Dad he told them, he only had slight sleep apnea. He got warned not to tell them but my Dad wanted to do it all by the book. Took over 6 months to get his license back even when his own doctor cleared him to drive.
(Although he is only a car driver not hgv)

No idea, I just woke from my coma bewildered, confused with no memories and no licence. That’s when everyone realised I was back to normal :smiley: .

Carryfast:
Let’s get this right switchlogic is moaning because my first employer saw enough there to employ me for 5 years and move me from factory work at my request and pay for my class 2.Yeah right something must have been lacking there.

Let’s not get carried away now, don’t start thinking I’m taking any of this seriously. I’m just having fun taking the ■■■■ as it’s like shooting fish in a barrel

So you had plenty of success with employers. My whole point has been that no one held you back, you weren’t hard done by. My whole point is/was if I can anyone can, and you certainly can. You’re basically arguing against yourself at this point. I’ve made zero comment on your driving abilities despite the comical barrage directed at me. I’ve been one arguing you could have done so much more. If only you have had some faith in yourself

Right just off to Coop, can I get you anything? Some bitter maybe? Chicken soup?

Carryfast:

adam277:
Hows your back now Carryfast.

Define ‘how’s ?.
It’s all there in the medical report I posted which the firm and the union relied on for termination of employment, based on my own doctor’s notes/hospital records.
Effectively it’s a like a structurally damaged bridge it’s still standing and other than occasional pain of varying severity you wouldn’t know there’s anything wrong with it, without looking at the X Rays and CT/MRI scans.
It’s been like that from the start.Bearing in mind I was actually working with it on direct trunking work after it had been diagnosed and shortly before while waiting for hospital appointments and scans and their results.
That’s another reason why employers’ liability insurance and state industrial injuries benefits are an irrelevance for that type of injury.
Ironically the first signs of pain from it started in the back of my upper leg, not my back, and after months of doing the job and at around the point when I was being moved from it back to trunking work. Certainly no idea at that point that my back was broke.So no identifiable causation so no claim just an admission from the employer of contributory causation so an extremely limited payout which didn’t even cover a redundancy payment.
It really takes a special type of stupid for anyone to hand ball truck loads voluntarily.
The resulting injuries and their effects aren’t covered by state industrial injuries benefits nor covered by employers’ liability insurance because causation generally can’t be proven.
The idea that anyone can even claim incapacity benefit with a ‘bad back’ is total bs.The ESA benefits test will wash them out unless they are paralysed from the neck down.

What you are saying about ESA benefits test is total Bulls##T. I have degenerative disc disease resulting in L4,L5 and S1 disc slippage as the docs call it. I had to stop working and applied for DLA and ESA and was awarded both. I’ve since been under the knife so to speak twice and spent over 6 week’s in traction before basically learning to walk again.

I lost my license while all this was going on but applied to DVA and after sitting a medical was awarded it back amost immediately. I’m now back driving.

I know every case is different but I’m living, walking proof that if you are determined enough you can get your life back.

So please stop spouting this rubbish that with a back injury that you can’t work again or don’t qualify for benefits. :unamused:

Back injuries can be truly awful things.
Some can undoubtedly prevent someone from driving as sitting without moving can be aggravating to any damage.
Some can overcome some injuries, and some certainly try harder than others. We are all different after all. But if someone can’t overcome a serious injury that doesn’t automatically mean they are a whinging skivver and should pull themselves together, etc.
Having said that, of course there are some whinging skivvers out there.
Someone being a moaning ole git, doesn’t mean they automatically are a skivver. Maybe yes, maybe no.
Just because I’m paranoid doesn’t mean they aren’t after me.
Just because I moan doesn’t mean I’m just a skivver.

Franglais:
Some can undoubtedly prevent someone from driving as sitting without moving can be aggravating to any damage.
Some can overcome some injuries, and some certainly try harder than others. We are all different after all. But if someone can’t overcome a serious injury that doesn’t automatically mean they are a whinging skivver and should pull themselves together, etc.
Someone being a moaning ole git, doesn’t mean they automatically are a skivver. Maybe yes, maybe no.

One of his favourite, of very few, boasts is how he regularly drove all over Europe on holiday. I’d say he’s probably ok. He won’t even say if he lost his licence. I’d be first to offer sympathy to anyone genuinely ill, but a few ‘months’ moving boxes really isn’t all that hard. Certainly not ending the working life of a thirty something man permanently. Otherwise we would have many thousands crippled by parcel companies and we certainly would have had serious legal action

Carryfast:

Franglais:
A lot goes back to union agreements in the 70’s doesn’t it?
As containers took over from traditional cargo Dockers were about to loosework, so they were employed in unstuffing of boxes. All being in the same T&GWU drivers were asked not to take Dockers jobs by doing such work.
At least that’s how I remember it. Open to correction.

How would ‘dockers’ be involved in tipping a container load at its destination or stuffing it at point of collection ?.
The dockers had already lost their jobs with containerisation.The clue is in the word ‘docks’.
They were never employed in transport yards or warehouse loading bays.
As always it goes back to local agreement between worker and employer mostly based on past precedent.Nothing more nothing less.
Which is why my former employers had to get a union agreement to get us handballing artics.Container drivers are nothing special in that regard it’s their or their union’s choice all based at local employer level.One group could be lumbered while another group could say no.
Having idiots negating that protection of past precedent obviously doesn’t help in that regard.That protection applying to non unionised firms or unionised ones.
Or as in our case worse terms in that regard agreed to on our behalf by the union over our heads in ‘strange’ circumstances.Including the laughable lie that putting drivers to work loading and unloading artics didn’t/wouldn’t affect warehouse labour recruitment demand levels, which is obviously an oxymoron.The end of my career by the age of 40 being the direct result.
The fact remains there is no industrial injuries cover whether employers’ liability, or state, for the vast majority of manual handling injuries because causation can’t possibly be proven, between natural causes v industrial.
‘Contributory’ as in my case is as good as it gets and that won’t qualify anyone for the state, or even a full employers’ liability insurance, industrial injury payment.
At least until Spinal injuries casused by the ■■■■■■■■■■ manual handling of loads is recognised as an industrial ‘disease’ and they ain’t going to do that for obvious reasons.
As it stands you would have to be immediately disabled in excrutiating pain and able to identify exactly which box/item did it at exactly which time and record it in the ‘accident’ book and even then the insurer/government could still claim ‘natural degenerative causes’ in their defence. :imp:

This post about the dockers confuses me, as my first employment in a transport environment, (we built tipping trailers, caravan transporters, did break bulk and groupage in the warehouse and were a restitution yard for containers, repairs and refurbishment.

We had to employ dockers as we were within so many miles of a port or riverside wharf, the guys we had were a fork lift driver, a tallyman and a bloke who had a really profitable timber business selling pallets, firewood. drivers mucked in with the unloading and stuffing. I drove a frame truck to lift empty containers off for storage or repair.

They are still advertising!

UPS Freight is hiring individuals to work as Part-Time Dockworkers, a physical position that involves moving freight into and out of trailers in a timely manner, by handling the freight manually, or using a forklift or hand truck. Forklift experience is not required but preferred.

Candidates must be at least 18 years of age, and must be able to read, write and speak the English language; must be physically and mentally able to safely perform the essential job functions without obvious risk of injury to the employee or co-workers.

Dockworkers must be able to work variable shifts that may consist of days, nights, and or weekends, and overtime hours as required by the Company.

the fub:

Carryfast:

adam277:
Hows your back now Carryfast.

Define ‘how’s ?.
It’s all there in the medical report I posted which the firm and the union relied on for termination of employment, based on my own doctor’s notes/hospital records.
Effectively it’s a like a structurally damaged bridge it’s still standing and other than occasional pain of varying severity you wouldn’t know there’s anything wrong with it, without looking at the X Rays and CT/MRI scans.
It’s been like that from the start.Bearing in mind I was actually working with it on direct trunking work after it had been diagnosed and shortly before while waiting for hospital appointments and scans and their results.
That’s another reason why employers’ liability insurance and state industrial injuries benefits are an irrelevance for that type of injury.
Ironically the first signs of pain from it started in the back of my upper leg, not my back, and after months of doing the job and at around the point when I was being moved from it back to trunking work. Certainly no idea at that point that my back was broke.So no identifiable causation so no claim just an admission from the employer of contributory causation so an extremely limited payout which didn’t even cover a redundancy payment.
It really takes a special type of stupid for anyone to hand ball truck loads voluntarily.
The resulting injuries and their effects aren’t covered by state industrial injuries benefits nor covered by employers’ liability insurance because causation generally can’t be proven.
The idea that anyone can even claim incapacity benefit with a ‘bad back’ is total bs.The ESA benefits test will wash them out unless they are paralysed from the neck down.

What you are saying about ESA benefits test is total Bulls##T. I have degenerative disc disease resulting in L4,L5 and S1 disc slippage as the docs call it. I had to stop working and applied for DLA and ESA and was awarded both. I’ve since been under the knife so to speak twice and spent over 6 week’s in traction before basically learning to walk again.

I lost my license while all this was going on but applied to DVA and after sitting a medical was awarded it back amost immediately. I’m now back driving.

I know every case is different but I’m living, walking proof that if you are determined enough you can get your life back.

So please stop spouting this rubbish that with a back injury that you can’t work again or don’t qualify for benefits. :unamused:

The worst that a lower back injury can do is paralyse you from the waist down.
Being paraplegic confined to a wheelchair doesn’t pass the ‘all work test’.
Exactly what risk factor did they give you regards ‘complications’ of surgery meaning that you would never have ‘learned’ to walk again because as you know damaged cord tissue cannot heal ever.
There’s also no guarantee that surgery means a cure.The risk of recurrence and further degeneration and resulting cord interference is always still there.
You also have the right to choose the conservative option which basically means the trade off of living with a timer a trembler fused bomb inside your spine.
I’ve posted the doctor’s report regarding my specific case in that regard you haven’t.It’s damning stuff.In my case added to by the fact that the canal is small allowing no room to avoid the risk of cord interference.You can add L1/2 degeneration and calcification my case obviously not yours.
It seems clear enough who’s talking rubbish.
Why don’t you take it up with all the doctors obviously being more qualified than them.
Bearing in mind that unlike you I never did ‘have to stop working’.
Which part of, sacked on medical grounds re Health and Safety, regarding risk of further injury, didn’t you understand.

Have you actually been called in for an Incapacity/ESA all work test ?.

The fact remains injuries, caused by ■■■■■■■■■■ compressive loads on the spine, can’t be proven regards causation.So effectively no employers’ liability cover or industrial injuries benefit.
Nor Incapacity Benefit because even at worse the resulting injuries won’t satisfy the all work test because arms/hands/vision function won’t be affected. :unamused:

Harry Monk:
If I wanted to unload lorries, my job title would be “lorry unloader”. :stuck_out_tongue:

You’ll do whatever the union agrees on your behalf for you to do if you’re under union recognition.A double edged sword in the event of a compromised union leadership working for the firm’s interests not yours for whatever reason. :bulb:

Franglais:

Did you actually read the firm’s doctor’s report.Skivers don’t generally keep working in severe pain after a diagnosis of sufficient damage to require surgery and then only get sacked on medical grounds after refusing to do more of the handball zb that caused it. :unamused:

Wheel Nut:
They are still advertising!

UPS Freight is hiring individuals to work as Part-Time Dockworkers, a physical position that involves moving freight into and out of trailers in a timely manner, by handling the freight manually, or using a forklift or hand truck. Forklift experience is not required but preferred.

Candidates must be at least 18 years of age, and must be able to read, write and speak the English language; must be physically and mentally able to safely perform the essential job functions without obvious risk of injury to the employee or co-workers.

Dockworkers must be able to work variable shifts that may consist of days, nights, and or weekends, and overtime hours as required by the Company.

UPS Parcels is all loose loaded handball from conveyors.There is no palletised freight.
There have already been weird claims on here that ‘feeder drivers’ aren’t involved in loading unloading duties.Which I’ve proved is total bs unless something changed.
‘Freight’ looks like a new different obscure division.When I was there all of our palletised freight was handed over to Danzas.

I always refer the boss to the job description, and remind him that when i came for the job it was advertised as a DRIVER wanted…and it wasn’t mentioned that i would have to load or unload myself and that i was to collect and deliver any load required of me…and that’s what i will do.
However, there was one case where i delivered to Lidl…and they wanted me to off load myself…I refused and they told me to take it away…when i phoned the boss and told him, and he asked why, and when i told him he said, unload it and i will pay extra…come Friday…no extra ( was paid weekly ) so told him to poke his job, and i left there and then…his loss…his son offered to pay me from his own pocket, and i refused on principle.

Carryfast:
Bearing in mind that unlike you I never did ‘have to stop working’.

So you retired voluntarily? And you didn’t lose your licence? Still no answer

truckyboy:
I always refer the boss to the job description, and remind him that when i came for the job it was advertised as a DRIVER wanted…and it wasn’t mentioned that i would have to load or unload myself and that i was to collect and deliver any load required of me…and that’s what i will do.
However, there was one case where i delivered to Lidl…and they wanted me to off load myself…I refused and they told me to take it away…when i phoned the boss and told him, and he asked why, and when i told him he said, unload it and i will pay extra…come Friday…no extra ( was paid weekly ) so told him to poke his job, and i left there and then…his loss…his son offered to pay me from his own pocket, and i refused on principle.

It depends on the definition of ‘‘off load’’.Rolling off a few pallets with a pallet truck or cages ain’t the same thing as loose loaded handball.With hindsight I wonder if that waste of space muppet Danny Bryan even knew that he was agreeing to the latter in my case on my behalf. :bulb: