Handballing stuff off truck

Just to point out to people in case they misunderstand. Yes the things I’ve said re Carryfast make me look awfully smug & full of myself*, but I posted it with the opposite aim. He kept claiming my opinion could be dismissed as I don’t have experience of it, so I point out I do, then he makes up more nonsense. My only point has been I’ve not done anything remarkable, I’m not some sort of transport genius but rather a fairly standard driver. Yes I’ve had lots of jobs because I get bored easily or someone will ■■■■ me off and if I can anyone can, that’s the long and short of it… anyone can

*Some would say I always have been. That I’m insufferable :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink:

I personally think that there can be few things sadder than a life blighted by bitterness and regret. I accept that for some people life dealt them a bad hand for one reason or other which led to unfulfilled ambitions, but I think that they are in the minority. Far more prevalent are those who missed out because they waited for someone to hand their dream to them as opposed to going out and grabbing it by the scruff of the neck and forcing it to happen.

My whole ethos has always been that I’d much rather regret something I have done rather than something I haven’t done. Easier to beg forgiveness than permission.

Being old and full of regrets about what I didn’t do has always been my biggest fear. After my brush with death last year it obviously made me think about things and I can honestly say while life has been exhausting at times I couldn’t have fitted any more in. And if I was destined to die a 42 I would have had no regrets or unfulfilled dreams*. I partly think it’s why being without a licence and sat at home for a year hasn’t bothered me at all, I could do with the rest! Even I’m surprised that I’m finding it easy. BUT- also helps that it’s a break and I’ll be back working soon (down to DVLA and licence). Ok soon and DVLA in same sentence is an oxymoron… I’ll be back driving at some point!

*Also helps that my dream was driving lorries round Europe rather than a Nobel winning scientist, the PM or a Hollywood star

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:
The idea that anyone can even claim incapacity benefit with a ‘bad back’ is total bs.The ESA benefits test will wash them out unless they are paralysed from the neck down.

But you broke your back didn’t you? As you’ve started telling us all of a sudden :smiley:

Obviously no comprehension that the ‘all work test’ will wash out anyone who effectively isn’t paralysed from the neck down.
A ‘broken’ back lower down ( including disc degeneration/damage interfering/potentially interfering with the spinal cord ) won’t cut it.Nor will anything really just based on diagnosis of damage as opposed to literal physical incapacity to actually physically move and do stuff.

That’s also how you can end up declared as unfit/unsafe for work by employers on H and S grounds based on diagnosis but not declared as eligible for Incapacity Benefits on ‘disability’ grounds.As shown in the medical report which understandably put me out of the job.That isn’t sufficient evidence for an Incapacity/ESA Benefit claim.

As I said back injuries, caused by unidentifiable, ■■■■■■■■■■ effects, of manual handling of loads, are the perfect storm of career ending and life changing injuries with no cover/compensation available from anywhere for the victims, both in terms of the ‘causation’ hurdle and the definition of ‘disability’. :unamused:

I do love your tactic of seeing a word posted by someone then using it to death! Comprehension. You’re like a teenager with a dictionary

More poor me whining. I’m on benefits currently

switchlogic:
I do love your tactic of seeing a word posted by someone then using it to death! Comprehension.

You chose to invoke the comprehension word from the outset not me.
When it’s you who obviously doesn’t have a clue as to what was meant by those older drivers correct warnings that they aint ‘covered’ for handballing loads.
No surprise that you then leapt to the defence of the miscreant in this case who put them all in harms way by destroying their protective precedent regarding work terms not to do it.
You really don’t know what it’s like to be turned down for Incapacity or Industrial Injuries benefits, or the results of Employers Liability cover not covering such injuries, because causation can’t be proven.
So why lie trying to pretend that you know anything about it when you clearly know the square root of zb all about spinal injuries caused by manual handling and the impossibility of then proving it.Or the implications of them v the definition of disability for Incapacity Benefit claims.
To which your answer as usual it’s all about you, you were involved in a car crash so that’s supposedly relevant v spinal compression injuries caused by manual handling in the workplace.Yeah right.

Carryfast:
You really don’t know what it’s like to be turned down for Incapacity or Industrial Injuries benefits, or the results of Employers Liability cover not covering such injuries, because causation can’t be proven.
So why lie trying to pretend that you know anything about it when you clearly know the square root of zb all about spinal injuries caused by manual handling and the impossibility of then proving it.Or the implications of them v the definition of disability for Incapacity Benefit claims.

No I don’t to be fair as my claim for benefits wasn’t turned down, since unlike you I was seriously injured. You just seem to be a drama queen claiming unloading a few boxes crippled you but surprise surprise you can’t get any proof, well, fancy, that :smiley: Get over yourself chap and get back to work. You’re not even that old it seems. Come back and whinge when you actually have something to whinge about :wink: :wink: :wink:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

No I don’t to be fair as my claim for benefits wasn’t turned down, since unlike you I was seriously injured. You just seem to be a drama queen claiming unloading a few boxes crippled you but surprise surprise you can’t get any proof, well, fancy, that :smiley: Get over yourself chap and get back to work. You’re not even that old it seems. Come back and whinge when you actually have something to whinge about :wink: :wink: :wink:

Months of hand balling artic loads floor to ceiling tipping and loading every shift is more than a ‘few boxes’.
Did you actually read the doctor’s report.Crippled me enough for termination of employment on medical grounds and for the hospital to schedule a high risk surgical intervention which I refused .
Proven enough for at least an admission of ‘contributory’ causation by the firm.
The fact that the causation of the all too real resulting injuries can’t generally be totally proven if at all is the point.
Nor will they generally be covered by the definition of disability for Incapacity Benefit Claims.
But they will be enough to get you sacked and refused employment on medical grounds.
That’s exactly what’s meant by not being covered for it.
You’ve made it clear the type of person that you really are and no surprise that you backed the idiot in this case putting the health and livelihood of his workmates at risk. :unamused:

the maoster:
I personally think that there can be few things sadder than a life blighted by bitterness and regret. I accept that for some people life dealt them a bad hand for one reason or other which led to unfulfilled ambitions, but I think that they are in the minority. Far more prevalent are those who missed out because they waited for someone to hand their dream to them as opposed to going out and grabbing it by the scruff of the neck and forcing it to happen.

My whole ethos has always been that I’d much rather regret something I have done rather than something I haven’t done. Easier to beg forgiveness than permission.

Your insinuation is clear in that and you seem to be under the ( deliberate ) misapprehension that everything which I supposedly ‘didn’t do’ was of my own making as opposed to the arbitrary discrimination of others.In an industry which doesn’t recognise a fair career progression regime.
Which also has the nerve to pretend loyalty to its staff in return for their’s.
In addition to ending the careers of decent drivers by using them as warehouse labourers to manually handle truck loads.To the point of obtaining a ‘union’ ‘agreement’ re same on their behalf in questionable circumstances.
At least I can say that I never ended up ditching a truck anywhere during in large part around 400 miles per night 5 nights per week.

So back to the topic do you agree with the young driver’s actions in this case or not. :unamused:

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

Months of hand balling artic loads floor to ceiling tipping and loading every shift is more than a ‘few boxes’.
Did you actually read the doctor’s report.Crippled me enough for termination of employment on medical grounds and for the hospital to schedule a high risk surgical intervention which I refused .
Proven enough for at least an admission of ‘contributory’ causation by the firm.
The fact that the causation of the all too real resulting injuries can’t generally be totally proven if at all is the point.
Nor will they generally be covered by the definition of disability for Incapacity Benefit Claims.
But they will be enough to get you sacked and refused employment on medical grounds.
That’s exactly what’s meant by not being covered for it.
You’ve made it clear the type of person that you really are and no surprise that you backed the idiot in this case putting the health and livelihood of his workmates at risk. :unamused:

Ah you’re just lazy, admit it

Carryfast:
At least I can say that I never ended up ditching a truck anywhere during in large part around 400 miles per night 5 nights per week.
:

No, you haven’t, you didn’t manage to do anything remotely that interesting :slight_smile:

Discrimination?! :slight_smile: You even accused me of victim blaming before. Have you always been a delicate snowflake or is that a new thing?

Should never be ashamed of mistakes.
I still look fondly back at the time I slid off my motorbike and headbutted a car.
Although I do regret paying him £30 I think to fix his licence plate.
(My helmet cracked it).

Making mistakes is all apart of living.
Taking risks and making mistakes is how you grow.

adam277:
Should never be ashamed of mistakes.
I still look fondly back at the time I slid off my motorbike and headbutted a car.
Although I do regret paying him £30 I think to fix his licence plate.
(My helmet cracked it).

Making mistakes is all apart of living.
Taking risks and making mistakes is how you grow.

Exactly, many of my best memories are when things went horribly wrong! As they are for many people. But then unlike a certain someone I’m the first one to hold my hands up when I’ve f***ed up. It’s the bad stuff that makes the good stuff all that bit sweeter

I do also like how my ditch episode is often raised on here by some as if it’ll get to me as it’s a dirty secret! Even more funny when as one did used a picture of it that they took from my blog post all about it. Such a dirty shameful secret :smiley:

From another thread-

Carryfast:

switchlogic:
FINALLY! Carryfast has no answer. Because come on that’s the weakest excuse you’ve ever used. You haves reputation for regularly besieging posts and sinking them with ‘off topic crap’. Better luck next time

Re write that bs on the handballing stuff off a truck topic then you’ll get your answer.

Here you go then Carry, get typing…

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

switchlogic:
Was thinking about earlier Carryfast, was telling Dad about you medically retiring by 40, which be both found a strange concept. Anyway it got me thinking. Do you never wonder what you could have been capable of and achieved had you set your clearly overactive mind and endless free time to something useful? It’s never too late.

Did you actually show him the medical report which took me out of the job.Bearing in mind that quack had obviously seen all the scans of the damage you haven’t.

You know some people actually load lorries for a living right? How on earth do they manage such back breaking work…

You know the state I was in last year right? This time last year I don’t remember as I was in a coma but upon waking from that weeks later, while unable to walk or even adjust myself in bed, not knowing if I’d ever walk again, the prospect of retiring didn’t enter my mind. I was working out what would be possible if I didn’t walk again, not ever thinking for a second that my working days were behind me. I suffer pain daily, esp when damp, struggle to get up if sat for too long, had to stop kneeling on floor to look in cupboards as I can’t get up and can no longer reach behind me without crippling pain. But hopefully back working soon. None of that is remarkable, people do this all the time.

Dad put his body through hell for 20+ years as mechanic, probably broken most bones in his body at one point or another including his neck and is riddled with arthritis, 66 this year and just went from 4 on 4 off at work to 6 on 2 off. Again not remarkable

That’s why I think your story a bit unusual.

Eagerly anticipating your exciting reply, interested to see what excuse you trot out this time, because with you it’s always someone else’s fault… Be about 3 weeks What with pre mod and all but better late than never

switchlogic:
From another thread-

Carryfast:
Did you actually show him the medical report which took me out of the job.Bearing in mind that quack had obviously seen all the scans of the damage you haven’t.

You know some people actually load lorries for a living right? How on earth do they manage such back breaking work…

You know the state I was in last year right? This time last year I don’t remember as I was in a coma but upon waking from that weeks later, while unable to walk or even adjust myself in bed, not knowing if I’d ever walk again, the prospect of retiring didn’t enter my mind. I was working out what would be possible if I didn’t walk again, not ever thinking for a second that my working days were behind me. I suffer pain daily, esp when damp, struggle to get up if sat for too long, had to stop kneeling on floor to look in cupboards as I can’t get up and can no longer reach behind me without crippling pain. But hopefully back working soon. None of that is remarkable, people do this all the time.

Dad put his body through hell for 20+ years as mechanic, probably broken most bones in his body at one point or another including his neck and is riddled with arthritis, 66 this year and just went from 4 on 4 off at work to 6 on 2 off. Again not remarkable

That’s why I think your story a bit unusual.

Eagerly anticipating your exciting reply, interested to see what excuse you trot out this time, because with you it’s always someone else’s fault… Be about 3 weeks What with pre mod and all but better late than never
[/quote]
Yeah right lets abolish all mechanical handling methods who needs forklifts and pallets and hiabs and mechanical shovels.Let’s do it all by hand because Switchlogic thinks there’s no need for any of that expensive needless equipment.

I’ve not seen any medical report concerning your or your dad’s issues and prognosis whereas I’ve actually posted mine.
Bone damage heals tissue damage to discs is more complicated.
So let’s get this right along the lines of the shark bite scar competition in the Jaws movie.
I’ll raise you damaged and degenerating and calcified disc tissue protruding into a congenitally small spinal canal meaning less space for the cord to avoid any further encroachment towards it.Surgical intervention recommended but with a warning of 30% + chance of serious complications including paralysis.
healthfully.com/the-end-stages- … 40519.html
herniated-disc-pain.org/disc … ation.html
As for your Dad my Dad was involved in the transport/recovery/maintenance of military AFV’s during a serious part of WW2 also under fire and whatever he was doing he must have done it right because he didn’t injure himself during that.Nor working as a mechanic as a side line to his engineering job for decades after.
However ironically he did suffer serious back injuries when he fell through a collapsing ceiling of a factory stores and bounced off a lathe or two and a mill before he hit the ground, in the factory below.It tore just about every rib in his body away from his spine on both sides and a gouge in his leg that exposed the bone.Two years off work with that then went back to the same type of job and still working on cars to bring in extra money.
You’ll be really glad to know that not once did he ever dispute the fact that I was put off work and why I left work.
Without the support of my parents I’d have been on the streets.
At best I would have only been fit enough to work in an office at which point it would have been a lottery between being sacked for incompetence or going out with depression first.
Also why would I have been bleedin stupid enough to chuck away an insurance policy which covered my own occupation for exactly that eventuality and which I’d paid enough in for in premiums over the years.
Bearing in mind that I never stopped working at all before, during and after the point when my back issues were diagnosed.They only said about surgery and risks of surgery nothing about my prognosis if I opted out.As it turned out probably a good call.My quality of life has been fine.
It was only when I refused to zb handball any more truck loads, when the Feltham/Luton/Dewsbury trunk that I finished up on ended, that it all came to light.Company doctor informed, health records and scans requested from the hospital.That was it my career was toast.
As for a broken neck resulting in any significant spinal cord interference at that level of the spine it’s bleedin lucky if that’s not fatal.
Just as I’ve been lucky with my problems but the prognosis is a time bomb if that mess that was once my disc material decides to make a wrong move in the wrong direction.
Handball loading/unloading vehicles good luck with that.
Oh wait you have the luxury of not having a bleedin clue what you’re talking about because you were only doing trailer swaps for the firm like I did to start with.
Don’t blame me because you’ve managed to crash something else in a big way and this time you’ve paid the price. :unamused:

If months of handball caused your back problems its because your back had problems already.

I spent 5 years as forklift driver, but it wasn’t a cushy move pallets around job, less than a quarter of my time was spent on the forklift. The rest of it was handball, from stripping out a Greek trailer loaded with with 3000 loose boxes of t-shirts to loading deep sea containers with group age, mostly drums including 45 gallon drums, heavy cases of engineering parts. No ramp, load on the back end and haul it down with a pallet truck. Clambering onto the first layer of 45s to start the second layer was always a personal fave. I also took a perverse pride in actually getting the max in them.

Whilst I have a back issue, it doesn’t relate to the loading.

As has been said many times before, its up to you to make of life as you will. Don’t like something, you are not a tree, move on. If you arent getting the jobs you want, then instead of blaming everyone else for your circumstances, then look in the mirror and ask yourself where you are going wrong. This stupid face fits obsession should be the first to go. If your face doesn’t fit, it’s simply because an employer finds you lacking somewhere in comparison to other candidates, or as in my case where people were recommended to me, your friends wouldn’t put you up for a job, which is frankly the more worrying of the two scenarios.

So yeah, you’re just a bit pathetic and feeble then

Carryfast:
Yeah right lets abolish all mechanical handling methods who needs forklifts and pallets and hiabs and mechanical shovels.Let’s do it all by hand because Switchlogic thinks there’s no need for any of that expensive needless equipment.

Didn’t say that though did I. I pointed out that some people’s whole job is manual handling for many years. Thankfully they aren’t as feeble as you.

Carryfast:
You’ll be really glad to know that not once did he ever dispute the fact that I was put off work and why I left work.

Blimey, your Dad agreed with you. Amazing. If you’re anything like you are on here your parents were probobaly used to being battered into submission, so by time they had the 40 year old baby probably just found it easiest to shut up. You Dad carried on as unlike you (and me to be fair) he had a family relying on him.

Carryfast:
Just as I’ve been lucky with my problems .

Stop f*ing whinging constantly then and infecting younger generations with your b/s . A large amount of the st you think is all in your mind. Stop being so depressing, you might actually start enjoying life. Imagine that radical notion. Actually I can recommend a brush with death for improving the old outlook, tho mine was never as depressing as yours.

Have a lovely weekend sweetcheeks x

albion:
As has been said many times before, its up to you to make of life as you will.

In Carryfast world this is dangerous nonsense. How very dare you post such a radical belief.

Carryfast:
Don’t blame me because you’ve managed to crash something else in a big way and this time you’ve paid the price. :unamused:

I think this last line actually sums you up. If I crash again, and ‘pay the price’ why would I blame some random nonsense spouter from Trucknet? That’s your whole problem chap- you’re always looking to blame others so you never improve yourself. NOWHERE will you ever find me blame anyone but me for my f**k ups. Try it, it’s sort of liberating. Means you don’t spend years hanging on to hate. Im more over being smashed up and nearly dying a year ago, being flown to hospital then followed by months in bed with nurses followed by family looking after every need (yes) followed by learning to walk again than you are hurting your back 20. It’s. All. In. The. Mind. Get over it.

And I’ve not even mentioned losing a decade of my memory and trying to get that back.

Switchlogic are you driving again yet?

Carryfast:
[
At best I would have only been fit enough to work in an office at which point it would have been a lottery between being sacked for incompetence or going out with depression first.

So you chose to never work again to avoid potential depression working in an office…that worked out well then… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: