Job Ad Lingo

Hi,

Ehh… I feel a bit stupid… what does “handball” mean regarding loads? I get the impression this means loading/unloading the truck yourself using a pallet truck? It appears with pallet ads particularly, but I’m unsure if it is a more general term for loading/offloading yourself rather than a forklift for example?

Thanks!

That’s correct, it may mean you need to pick an order off the back of your truck (usually food deliveries) or drag a cage across a garage forecourt.

Handballing = avoid :wink:

Hand-ball…in my book… means handling the goods, be it boxes, or bags of some sort.
I guess manual pallet trucks could be included, but I wouldn’t use that term. Electric pallet trucks wouldn’t count As handball IMHO.
Some jobs (So I hear) require drivers to take goods out of cages and put goods on shelves in small stores.
Definitely an issue to query.
Some drivers get on with the chance to move physically, others ‘run a mile’ to avoid walking an inch.

I have done some heavy handball in the past. Splitting down pallets of food and running back and forth in and out of shopping centres etc. It’s graft but I just classed it as free gym. I do pallets now but move them no further than the edge of the tail lift. So I think I’ve experienced both ends of the scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Anyone had experiences where they were told they wouldn’t be handling loads, then found they were?

I’m a physically fit 30-something, but I have a minor issue of no left arm, LOL. I could do things like strapping loads, etc. - that is no problem - but having to drag cages around (especially if they’re heavy) or heavy pallet trucks, etc., looks like it could potentially be an issue for me (I’ve been watching various videos on YT of people handling various loads to see what’s involved, and some make me think I wouldn’t be able to do it, not least from a safety perspective if a load started running away for example - it definitely appears to be a two-handed job) so anything where I’m moving either lighter loads on a pallet truck or better yet, not at all, would be better.

As much as I want to drive artics (who doesn’t) I’m not ignoring rigids, either. I had a surprise drive of one the other day when I went to visit the forum sponsor and enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than I thought I would. I’m just aware that driving rigids means more local-type deliveries/collections, and that has a much higher probability of handling loads.