Guy

1965 registered Guy Warrior eight wheeler tipper operated by J.Pelter & Sons Ltd of Carnforth.

Earl days at Thompson Transport of Grimethorpe Barnsley who operated this 1970 registered Guy Big J4 which is seen here in 1977.
The company are still very much in business today. Thompson Transport Website.

Some of the brand new Guy Big J4’s ready to go into service with British Rail in 1967 on their Freightliner service which at the time was British Rail’s answer to the demand for improved transport of general merchandise traffic. :unamused:

moomooland:
0Some of the brand new Guy Big J4’s ready to go into service with British Rail in 1967 on their Freightliner service which at the time was British Rail’s answer to the demand for improved transport of general merchandise traffic. :unamused:

I wonder which engine those BR Guys had ? V6 ■■■■■■■■ or maybe the AEC 505 ? Cheers Bewick

Guy in trouble…

A pair of October 1975 registered Guy Big J 4’s Reg No’s KYV 552P and KYV 551P operated by Westfield Transport of Mansfield who had been owned by Pickford’s since 1964, note the Pickfords fleet numbers front n/s above headlights

A later shot of Guy Big J4 Reg No KYV 552P now in full Pickfords livery, albeit a little battered around the wheel arch.

moomooland:
0Pickfords Guy Big J4 Reg No KYV 552P, sporting a rather unusual cab, was new in October 1995.

Hi Moomooland, A P Reg IIRC Was 1976/7, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

moomooland:
0Pickfords Guy Big J4 Reg No KYV 552P, sporting a rather unusual cab, was new in October 1995.

Hi Larry, my memory of it is that A was '63. E was the last full year registration, 1967, the motor trade didn’t like not being able to sell anything in December, so F, 1968 was a short year. G was 68/69 and so on. No O, making P 75/76. No Q, so R was 76/77. I could be wrong…

John.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Typo error. :blush:

KYV 552P and KYV 551P, pictured below, were both registered in October 1975.

Looks like a proper grafter. :smiley:

John West:

Lawrence Dunbar:

moomooland:

Hi Larry, my memory of it is that A was '63. E was the last full year registration, 1967, the motor trade didn’t like not being able to sell anything in December, so F, 1968 was a short year. G was 68/69 and so on. No O, making P 75/76. No Q, so R was 76/77. I could be wrong…

John.

E Reg only lasted from January 67 to July 67 it then went F August 1st to July 31st 1968 and so on

Bewick:

moomooland:
0Some of the brand new Guy Big J4’s ready to go into service with British Rail in 1967 on their Freightliner service which at the time was British Rail’s answer to the demand for improved transport of general merchandise traffic. :unamused:

I wonder which engine those BR Guys had ? V6 ■■■■■■■■ or maybe the AEC 505 ? Cheers Bewick

Being NFC I dare say that they were a similar spec to most of the BRS fleet- 205 ■■■■■■■■
Paid for in the main by poor, tax-paying ■■■■■■■■ hauliers. :wink:

moomooland:
0A pair of October 1975 registered Guy Big J 4’s Reg No’s KYV 552P and KYV 551P operated by Westfield Transport of Mansfield who had been owned by Pickford’s since 1964, note the Pickfords fleet numbers front n/s above headlights

1 A later shot of Guy Big J4 Reg No KYV 552P now in full Pickfords livery, albeit a little battered around the wheel arch.

Those sleeper conversions look very well engineered- long chassis, long cab plus the ice-cream van roof, all in1975. No ■■■■■■■ badges on the grilles- I wonder if the extra-long cab was there to shelter the rear cylinders?

Retired Old ■■■■:

Bewick:

moomooland:

Being NFC I dare say that they were a similar spec to most of the BRS fleet- 205 ■■■■■■■■

ROF,
You will never win a peace prize! :smiley:

I gave up trying for one of those many years ago, Pete. Much more fun going for the Wooden Spoon award! Now, about those two pots under the Big J sleepers? :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

pete smith:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Bewick:

moomooland:

ROF,
You will never win a peace prize! :smiley:

More like cause a Third World war ! :wink:

I’m trying, Dennis. But if I succeed, can I join the Croatian army?

1969 and the first truck i ever drove for a living.
AOM 984B a Guy Invincible 8 wheel tipper
One of two belonging to James F G Hare of Kings Norton, Birmingham.
Photographed in Ashwood Dale Quarry, Buxton,Derbys
Put bluntly it was about as much use as a chocolate tea pot for Peak District hauling.
Single drive with a dead trailing axle, no shock absorbers and brakes that where wishful thinking.
Given its drive line, a Gardner 6LX, and a David Brown 6 speed gearbox on paper it would have climbed the side of a house if asked to.
But, it would not climb up into Ashwood Dale when the ground was wet, let alone icy, or covered in snow, which tended to happen in Buxton
anytime between October and the end of May,or was it June.!
The springs broke with monotonous regularity, the Tecalamit chassis lubrication drive belt never stayed on for more than a hour or so.
The windscreens broke for the hell of it, usually when it was raining .
Easter Saturday 1969 her sisters brakes went on strike just as i began to descend into Ashbourne, Market Day.
I used the big stone wall alongside the church, below the ‘Bowling Green’ to stop her.
That was another visit to Fallings Park and a bill of £1,060,00…
I was glad to see the back of them, replaced with Scania 110s.

mmm, they looked good though.!

xxxx69b.jpg

British Steel Rotherham big J 220 Rolls

Guy Invincible operated by Spinks Transport Services of Darlington.
In 1969 Spinks were bought by Amalgamated Rubber and Industrial Products Ltd. for £106,000 and became Spinks Interfreight,