Guy

ROF,

You were lucky,I had to drive,without a screen from Crooklands to Market Drayton,change trailers and back to North St Manchester,mid December,and a wet night to boot,the night foreman,Cliff Poyser let me thaw out infront of a 2 bar electric fire in the Traffic Office,a night to remember.

David

Guy.JPGBlue Dart Middleton depot ran a number of these 1977 registered Guy Big J tractor units with RBA 201R being one of a number of their Big J’s with consecutive number plates.

RBA 206R is pictured here in Blue Dart’s depot at Stakehill Industrial Estate Middleton.

2017-07-20 19.48.52.jpgRBA 207R pictured heading down the M6 near Keele.

Another of their 1977 registered Guy Big J’s was Reg No SND 991R seen here in the depot at Middleton.

One here for you Dennis from your neck of the woods, a Blue Dart Guy Big J seen leaving Barrow in Furness.
Photograph courtesy of Byron Smith

There’s one thing that was certain “MML” the Blue Dart Big J’s would never be overworked ! I bet they ( The Big J’s) would think they were in a holiday camp, well the Drivers certainly did ! Nice shots all the same of times past ! Cheers Dennis.

5thwheel:
ROF,

You were lucky,I had to drive,without a screen from Crooklands to Market Drayton,change trailers and back to North St Manchester,mid December,and a wet night to boot,the night foreman,Cliff Poyser let me thaw out infront of a 2 bar electric fire in the Traffic Office,a night to remember.

David

The joys of driving for BRS, mate. Make the phone call to your home depot, then let ■■■■■■■■ road transport magnates pick up the bill!

New to Russell of Bathgate in 1967.

TIDDERSON:
This was the first Warrior I saw. Looked very flash compared to the Comets and Chieftains! Is it true they had trouble with the screens falling out?

Keeping them intact was the main problem!!

It was IMHO a great shame that Guy went by “the board” in the early 60’s but I suppose we might never have had the Big J ( Big Jaguar) if things had been different but I always thought the Guy Warriors and Invincibles were ahead of their time even if they had their failings ! Well they had a cab heater, radio and shaver point in the cab as standard equipment !!! Not sure about the shaver point all those years ago but the heater and radio would have been most welcome !!! Cheers Bewick.

moomooland:

Great photo of Sunter’s 6 X 2 Invincible MML,well found.

David

5thwheel:
Great photo of Sunter’s 6 X 2 Invincible MML,well found. David

From previous page. :smiley:

Thanks for the comment David.
Here’s another of their Guy Invincible’s, this time a 4x2, heading over the Pennines on the A62 towards Oldham.

moomooland:

5thwheel:
Great photo of Sunter’s 6 X 2 Invincible MML,well found. David

From previous page. :smiley:

0 Thanks for the comment David.
Here’s another of their Guy Invincible’s, this time a 4x2, heading over the Pennines on the A62 towards Oldham.

That photo takes me right back MML,when I was on plant haulage for John Jones Excavations in Stockport,I used to tow those scraper boxes around the country with an ERF 6 X 2 with ballast box,I was governed to a max speed of 25 mph as the scraper wheel bearings tended to overheat above that…great days!

David

Retired Old ■■■■:
Well I’ll be……….! That was the only fault that I found with the Big J, apart from having no skin on my left hand! My screen popped out between Beaconsfield and Slough one afternoon. The windscreen fitter was with me in about 20 minutes with a screen from an ERF A-series. They were the same part number and I was on my way in less than an hour of the occurrence.

Talking of the windscreens popping out, here’s a shot taken shortly before the windscreens were fitted on the production line, looks like they just finishing installing the roof lining.

moomooland:

Retired Old ■■■■:
Well I’ll be……….! That was the only fault that I found with the Big J, apart from having no skin on my left hand! My screen popped out between Beaconsfield and Slough one afternoon. The windscreen fitter was with me in about 20 minutes with a screen from an ERF A-series. They were the same part number and I was on my way in less than an hour of the occurrence.

Talking of the windscreens popping out, here’s a shot taken shortly before the windscreens were fitted on the production line, looks like they just finishing installing the roof lining.

Would I be correct in assuming that this shot is Motor Panels line and not Guy’s or did MP only supply the bare shell which was then trimmed at Fallings Park ? Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

moomooland:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Would I be correct in assuming that this shot is Motor Panels line and not Guy’s or did MP only supply the bare shell which was then trimmed at Fallings Park ? Cheers Bewick.

Hi Dennis,
It looks like Fallings Park, same low building with the glass in the roof!

Your probably right there Pete and by the looks of those front “winker” glasses the shot is pre mid 70’s as the later Big J’s went onto Rubolite type. Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
Your probably right there Pete and by the looks of those front “winker” glasses the shot is pre mid 70’s as the later Big J’s went onto Rubolite type. Cheers Dennis.

It looks like an Ulverston born lad by the off side of the first cab… Stan Laurel!

1965 registered Guy Warrior 4x2 tractor unit operated by E. Brown & Sons Beverley.

1974 registered Guy Big J 4■■2 tractor unit operated by P & O Roadways.

moomooland:
11965 registered Guy Invincible 4x2 tractor unit operated by E. Brown & Sons Beverley.

01974 registered Guy Big J 4■■2 tractor unit operated by P & O Roadways.

The Browns Guy is the lightweight Warrior and not the heavier Invincible so I wonder what engine it had ? Leyland or AEC or maybe a 6LW. I assume it would have had the Eaton two speed axle and the Turner 5 speed box. Just a thought ! Cheers Bewick.

Just dug this out - one of a pair of Invincible 6 wheel tippers we ran in the late 60s/early 70s, working out of Hoveringham Stone, Dene Quarry.
Any ex-Dene men on here may remember them, driven by Gerald Whitmore and Dennis Harrison?
(the AEC was also at Dene - driven by Alan Bunting)

img166.jpg

Steve