Vintage Roadscene Archive GUY

I got this magazine a few weeks ago hoping it would contain some further info to what I already know of the marque and maybe even something on the, dare I say it, Big J 8LXB! However although there are plenty photo’s and diagrams of GUY history, there were also many details not covered, the 8LXB being one of them. Written by a Malcolm Bates who then related information from an ex employee Robin Hannay, who had worked for GUY from 1950 to 59 but had also researched further into the company having an interest in its history. Despite this I was slightly disappointed that it didn’t go into more detail with engines, gearboxes, etc but for the price of around £8.00 depending where bought, I suppose it was still value for money, it didn’t though match the quality of the previous Seddon Story which was well written. If you like the GUY marque and your knowledge is sketchy then its worth the money. Having a book on GUY written by a family member Anthony E Guy that ended the story with the Big J (only one pic of a six wheel chassis) this did fill in a little more from then but not as much as I’d hoped. Franky.

Malcolm Bates has published many books and articles on motor vehicles, and was involved in the design and marketing of Shelvoke and Drewry municipal vehicles. Robin Hannay worked most of his life in the motor industry, and has also written several books on the subject. One you might be interested in is “80 years of Guy cars, trucks and buses”, written by Robin in conjunction with Stuart Broach.