Guy

Bewick:
Aye your right Pete but to date none of them has come forward to confirm “the fact” ! So 'ere we go, ere we go, 'ere we go ! But immediately I detect a “small” flaw in the “maths” ! Apparently S O M had 39 of the mystical Beasts and A. N. Other had the other one of the 40 that have been claimed to have been built ! So the “fox” or “drag” (dependant on whether you are an “anti” :unamused: or not !) is off once more and running ! I can feel a long hot summer coming on ! :wink: :frowning: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Morning Dennis,
I have heard a rumour that Mike Ponsonby has 39 of them in his shed now Bewick Transport Services has been reborn! Anon 1

And Franky, don’t forget that of the 16,000 Big J’s produced probably 60 - 65% were rigids of various configurations and medium weight tractor units. AEC were supplying Guy with 1,000 plus AV505 engines per annum for several years, Leyland supplied the O.400 engine as well. I think that the research that Valkyrie did with the Gardner engine records is probably the most accurate that there is. Personally I do believe that a factory built Gardner 8LXB powered Guy Big J did exist but an original, authenticated photograph would be nice.

pete smith:

Bewick:
Aye your right Pete but to date none of them has come forward to confirm “the fact” ! So 'ere we go, ere we go, 'ere we go ! But immediately I detect a “small” flaw in the “maths” ! Apparently S O M had 39 of the mystical Beasts and A. N. Other had the other one of the 40 that have been claimed to have been built ! So the “fox” or “drag” (dependant on whether you are an “anti” :unamused: or not !) is off once more and running ! I can feel a long hot summer coming on ! :wink: :frowning: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Morning Dennis,
I have heard a rumour that Mike Ponsonby has 39 of them in his shed now Bewick Transport Services has been reborn! Anon 1

Can’t get nowt past you Pete ! Been ferrying them down from ■■■■■■■ on “neets” as Mr. Webb would say ! So how come you “clocked” us up ? Cheers Dennis.

Carryfast:

Frankydobo:
Mmm, that’s what I mean Pauly it doesn’t help to prove a case when there are so many discrepancies turning up by different authors of these articles, it has already been written that Smiths had 39 of the 40 that was apparently produced which now seems to have reduced to 29, I hope these writers aren’t getting their facts from Wikipedia!

It’s my guess that,as in this case,they were all aftermarket conversions some possibly done at the factory and some by the relevant operators themselves.All as and when engines became available.With or without an exchange allowance for the returned/unwanted 180’s and drive lines or disposed of in whatever way.Which might explain the erratic figures. :bulb:

As per usual and “spot on que” you are talking bollox as per usual “CF” ! Cheers Bewick.

Frankydobo:
Mmm, that’s what I mean Pauly it doesn’t help to prove a case when there are so many discrepancies turning up by different authors of these articles, it has already been written that Smiths had 39 of the 40 that was apparently produced which now seems to have reduced to 29, I hope these writers aren’t getting their facts from Wikipedia! Now according to a site dedicated to GUY Motors around 16,000 Big J chassis were manufactured during the vehicles production, there are no where near that many still around or have been restored for obvious reasons so its reasonable to believe that with even taking the highest number quoted of 40 8LXB chassis being built that none have survived and even if the engines did when these vehicles were scrapped they would have either been sold abroad or ended up in storage for later use. Just a shame with all the many other threads we’ve had on the site showing excellent pics of various odd and rare vehicles over the years to prove their existence that the 240 Big J hasn’t surfaced, apart from some of the front views of which I believe only one or two are genuine, good enough proof for me but not everyone. Franky.

Hiya Franky, you’ve got to understand that the arithmetic apropro the numbers of 8LXB Big J’s that were built does vary dependant on the varying strength of “gear” that is smoked !!! Cheers Dennis. :unamused: :blush: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ha ha, you have got a point there Dennis. :grimacing:

Well Dennis,
More fool me for going out and buying the Mag only to read that indeed it was an inplant!!! :grimacing:

Why or Why did i not listen to the wise words of Dennis :blush: the result being that my Net Worth is now down by £4.85 :unamused:

100 Lines…I will listen to Dennis in Future!
E.W.

EW car truck & bus:
Well Dennis,
More fool me for going out and buying the Mag only to read that indeed it was an inplant!!! :grimacing:

Why or Why did i not listen to the wise words of Dennis :blush: the result being that my Net Worth is now down by £4.85 :unamused:

100 Lines…I will listen to Dennis in Future!
E.W.

“Easy come easy go” E. W.! Gold plated pension, must have money to burn !!! :unamused: :sunglasses: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Dennis.

Aw Dennis that’s so kind of you to offer to assist if my pension don’t quite cut it! :neutral_face: nothing like being able to call upon a friend up Norf to help balance the books!!!

Until then take care, and hey ho the mythical Big J 8 LXB may make an entrance and as they say the rest is history. :laughing: :laughing:

Be Good.

E.W.

Well, The publishers of the mag have been in touch and are going to reward me for all the extra sales thanks to my post to try and help Dennis. :smiley: :slight_smile: :astonished: :open_mouth: :laughing:

Bewick:

Carryfast:

Frankydobo:
Mmm, that’s what I mean Pauly it doesn’t help to prove a case when there are so many discrepancies turning up by different authors of these articles, it has already been written that Smiths had 39 of the 40 that was apparently produced which now seems to have reduced to 29, I hope these writers aren’t getting their facts from Wikipedia!

It’s my guess that,as in this case,they were all aftermarket conversions some possibly done at the factory and some by the relevant operators themselves.All as and when engines became available.With or without an exchange allowance for the returned/unwanted 180’s and drive lines or disposed of in whatever way.Which might explain the erratic figures. :bulb:

As per usual and “spot on que” you are talking bollox as per usual “CF” ! Cheers Bewick.

Blimey Bewick I thought we were on the same if not similar sides,concerning the mythical heap.With allies like you who needs enemies. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Carryfast:

Bewick:

Carryfast:

Frankydobo:

Blimey Bewick I thought we were on the same if not similar sides,concerning the mythical heap.With allies like you who needs enemies. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Well let me spell it out for you “CF” ! Foden’s, ERF’s and Atkinson, never mind about GUY, Seddon and Scammell could never obtain the number of Gardner engines they required ! So how the ■■■■ were individual operators able to ask their Local vehicle Spare parts dealers to supply an 8LXB engine ! “Oh! now what can I do for you to-day Mr. Operator, ----- What ! are you having a ■■■■■■■ laugh Mate ! You want what ? a complete ready to install 8LXB engine !” " How many ? 40 !. " 'Ere John come out 'ere mate there’s a Geezer at the counter wants a complete 8 LXB engine ! Yea it’s that Geezer from Leatherhead ! Oh! not that silly ■■■■ again . :unamused: :open_mouth: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Bewick.

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
Well let me spell it out for you “CF” ! Foden’s, ERF’s and Atkinson, never mind about GUY, Seddon and Scammell could never obtain the number of Gardner engines they required ! So how the [zb] were individual operators able to ask their Local vehicle Spare parts dealers to supply an 8LXB engine ! “Oh! now what can I do for you to-day Mr. Operator, ----- What ! are you having a [zb] laugh Mate ! You want what ? a complete ready to install 8LXB engine !” " How many ? 40 !. " 'Ere John come out 'ere mate there’s a Geezer at the counter wants a complete 8 LXB engine ! Yea it’s that Geezer from Leatherhead ! Oh! not that silly [zb] again . :unamused: :open_mouth: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Bewick.
[/quote]
Nice one Dennis, that’s what we all like about you, :imp: you always consider CF’s feelings when you reply to his considered and rational opinions!!! :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Regards Kev.

Bewick:
Well let me spell it out for you “CF” ! Foden’s, ERF’s and Atkinson, never mind about GUY, Seddon and Scammell could never obtain the number of Gardner engines they required ! So how the [zb] were individual operators able to ask their Local vehicle Spare parts dealers to supply an 8LXB engine ! “Oh! now what can I do for you to-day Mr. Operator, ----- What ! are you having a [zb] laugh Mate ! You want what ? a complete ready to install 8LXB engine !” " How many ? 40 !. " 'Ere John come out 'ere mate there’s a Geezer at the counter wants a complete 8 LXB engine ! Yea it’s that Geezer from Leatherhead ! Oh! not that silly [zb] again . :unamused: :open_mouth: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Bewick.

I’d doubt that we’re talking about 40 engines supplied all at once.Or possibly even 40 vehicles.Or that the deal had anything to do with Leyland Parts department.

What if it went along the lines of sorry we can’t do a new order Big J with an 8 LXB in it because we just can’t get them to meet the required production schedules.But what we can do is supply you with a 180 and then we’ll convert it for you on the line at a very favourable cost as and when the limited/unreliable supplies of 8 LXB’s allow.Or we’ll supply you with what’s needed if you want to do the job yourself as and when we get them to save time and aggro.All of the resulting bitsas would obviously result in the ‘right’ engine numbers ending up with the respective chassis thereby wiping out any previous 180 type history.Also creating the situation in which some people think that the factory converted ( ‘made’ ) ( all ) of them from new,or that the factory did less than it actually did,or some customer conversions being confused with factory conversions and then counted on the grapevine twice etc etc and the actual documented/remembered numbers of the things produced being all over the place as a result as time went by. :bulb: :wink:

“NURSE- THE SCREENS, PLEASE”

Retired Old ■■■■:

:laughing: :laughing: Never mind the screens: bring on the oromorph!! Robert

^^ :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Retired Old ■■■■:

I’m deeply offended.Zb it in that case I’ve changed sides I’m now a believer there were definitely 40,or was it 29,let’s split the difference and call it 35 and a half because Gardner ran out of engines at that point,new factory built 8 LXB Big J’s all built on the same day and Bewick has got it all wrong. :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing:

I’m delighted that our Leatherhead pal has managed to retain that one final brain cell for so long.

Retired Old ■■■■:
I’m delighted that our Leatherhead pal has managed to retain that one final brain cell for so long.

We’ve finally converted the ■■■■ ROF, he’s a Gardner man now ! there will be no more bollox about DD’s ! Cheers Dennis.