was comfy but darned noisy with a lot of built in rattles although
there wasn’t much padding on the bonnet it being a one trip for
me and didn’t bother too much with transferring the gear from my
own motor just for a one off trip because the regular guy had rung
in sick, one trip was enough and my Borderer was ready when I got
back. I did like the later Big “J” with the ■■■■■■■ or Rollers in them
thanks harry, long retired

Another shot of YRC 294M.

This one is still doing the Vintage commercial vehicle rallies once owned by the late John Horner of Heysham now in the ownership of John Murphy from Huddersfield but I have heard that John may have sold it on just recently (may be wrong not sure )

1967 REG Guy 6 wheel tipper outside the Motorman cafe on a recent rally.

Well,this is for Dennis (Bewick) The May edition of Classic &Vintage Commercials has a feature on Guy restoration by James Wall.They have fitted an 8 pot Gardner to a big J because GUY made 29 of them!!!

And yes there are photos of the 8 pot fitted.

Oh! no not again ! :blush: :open_mouth: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: But it will still be a replica so dosen’t count ! It is a shot of an authentic 8 pot Big J we have been looking for over the years, I’m going to put my head in a bucket ! Doh! Cheers Bewick. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Bewick:
Oh! no not again ! :blush: :open_mouth: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: But it will still be a replica so dosen’t count ! It is a shot of an authentic 8 pot Big J we have been looking for over the years, I’m going to put my head in a bucket ! Doh! Cheers Bewick. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I’m a great admirer of you Dennis but please let this be the holy grail [emoji12][emoji12][emoji1317][emoji1317][emoji1317]

But Dennis they say GUY made 29 of them so all the blokes who took the mickey have egg on their face.ROF being one of them. :blush:

leylandlover:
But Dennis they say GUY made 29 of them so all the blokes who took the mickey have egg on their face.ROF being one of them. :blush:

Ask one of these Dennis, they should know!

Aye your right Pete but to date none of them has come forward to confirm “the fact” ! So 'ere we go, ere we go, 'ere we go ! But immediately I detect a “small” flaw in the “maths” ! Apparently S O M had 39 of the mystical Beasts and A. N. Other had the other one of the 40 that have been claimed to have been built ! So the “fox” or “drag” (dependant on whether you are an “anti” :unamused: or not !) is off once more and running ! I can feel a long hot summer coming on ! :wink: :frowning: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Now Dennis,

I am off to Wh Smith’s to get a copy in the morning :laughing: , now if this does end up being the conclusion to this long debate :unamused: then please promise not to put your head in a bucket, as i for one would prefer to live with this news along with you still with us!!! :smiley:

Let’s see what tomorrow brings then… :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley:

E.W.

EW car truck & bus:
Now Dennis,

I am off to Wh Smith’s to get a copy in the morning :laughing: , now if this does end up being the conclusion to this long debate :unamused: then please promise not to put your head in a bucket, as i for one would prefer to live with this news along with you still with us!!! :smiley:

Let’s see what tomorrow brings then… :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley:

E.W.

The relevant wording on the earlier post is " They have FITTED an 8 pot into a Big J"

Another smart shot Dennis :smiley:

E.W.

I had a quick flick through this mag the other day when shopping with my dearest and I took it to mean they had fitted an 8LXB into the GUY on the premise that GUY had produced ‘29’ Big J’s with this engine, I didn’t read the article fully but don’t believe it read the original was an 8 potter, so don’t count your chickens boys. I was also slightly bemused by the 29 figure when in previous mags it has been quoted at 40 or even 39, so are we suffering a case of presuming and assuming, as everyone knows that to assume means to make an ■■■ of U and ME! I actually believe in the 8LXB GUY Big J and possibly Dennis does too with tongue firmly in cheek, what he is correct in saying is that there hasn’t been photographic proof showing a factory fitted 240 Gardner in a Big J with its two rear ends sticking out into fresh air (I’m talking about the engine here of course!) to give definite proof of this elusive beast. We’ll wait and see exactly what the article says. Franky.

Frankydobo:
I had a quick flick through this mag the other day when shopping with my dearest and I took it to mean they had fitted an 8LXB into the GUY on the premise that GUY had produced ‘29’ Big J’s with this engine, I didn’t read the article fully but don’t believe it read the original was an 8 potter, so don’t count your chickens boys. I was also slightly bemused by the 29 figure when in previous mags it has been quoted at 40 or even 39, so are we suffering a case of presuming and assuming, as everyone knows that to assume means to make an ■■■ of U and ME! I actually believe in the 8LXB GUY Big J and possibly Dennis does too with tongue firmly in cheek, what he is correct in saying is that there hasn’t been photographic proof showing a factory fitted 240 Gardner in a Big J with its two rear ends sticking out into fresh air (I’m talking about the engine here of course!) to give definite proof of this elusive beast. We’ll wait and see exactly what the article says. Franky.

Well said Franky, Regards Larry.

gazsa401:

Bewick:

I’m a great admirer of you Dennis but please let this be the holy grail [emoji12][emoji12][emoji1317][emoji1317][emoji1317]

The picture of the Wall Big J with the 240 Percy in it is already on the Big J thread that Dennis started off,so no new surprise!!!

David

5thwheel:

gazsa401:

Bewick:

The picture of the Wall Big J with the 240 Percy in it is already on the Big J thread that Dennis started off,so no new surprise!!!

David

Come on David, I thought that thread was dead and buried, we certainly don’t want TWO 8pot Big J threads running at once Doh! why have I said that ! :blush: :unamused: Cheers Dennis.

Frankydobo:

Having a copy of the said article in front of me (Classic and Vintage Commercials to which i subscribe and very much look forward to reading every month) the original power plant was the Gardner 180 and states that only 29 of the optional “protruding” straight eights were produced.

Mmm, that’s what I mean Pauly it doesn’t help to prove a case when there are so many discrepancies turning up by different authors of these articles, it has already been written that Smiths had 39 of the 40 that was apparently produced which now seems to have reduced to 29, I hope these writers aren’t getting their facts from Wikipedia! Now according to a site dedicated to GUY Motors around 16,000 Big J chassis were manufactured during the vehicles production, there are no where near that many still around or have been restored for obvious reasons so its reasonable to believe that with even taking the highest number quoted of 40 8LXB chassis being built that none have survived and even if the engines did when these vehicles were scrapped they would have either been sold abroad or ended up in storage for later use. Just a shame with all the many other threads we’ve had on the site showing excellent pics of various odd and rare vehicles over the years to prove their existence that the 240 Big J hasn’t surfaced, apart from some of the front views of which I believe only one or two are genuine, good enough proof for me but not everyone. Franky.

Frankydobo:
Mmm, that’s what I mean Pauly it doesn’t help to prove a case when there are so many discrepancies turning up by different authors of these articles, it has already been written that Smiths had 39 of the 40 that was apparently produced which now seems to have reduced to 29, I hope these writers aren’t getting their facts from Wikipedia!

It’s my guess that,as in this case,they were all aftermarket conversions some possibly done at the factory and some by the relevant operators themselves.All as and when engines became available.With or without an exchange allowance for the returned/unwanted 180’s and drive lines or disposed of in whatever way.Which might explain the erratic figures. :bulb: