GUY Big J 8LXB Tractor Unit

gazsa401:

dave docwra:
Hi All, Has anyone access to check truck registrations, if so could they please check OWG852M as I believe this was a SOM Guy fitted with a 240 from new.

Thanks Dave.

I’ve seen that picture Dave on Facebook on a site called
“Night trunkers past and present”

The chap who drove it was Tommy Doyle & his story as told by his Son seems very genuine & also fits in with my memories of the St Albans depot, I like the part where after three years with the Guy he was told his 240 was not a front line trunker any longer which he was not happy with, he was to be given a 250 ■■■■■■■ powered tractor unit to replace it, which does not say much about the times when after three years 10bhp was an advancement.

Hiya,
I’m talking driver here, and not the boss any employed driver who
would prefer a 240 Percy to a 250 ■■■■■■■ must in my opinion be
a glutton for punishment, for one thing you was frozen to death in
the Gardner engined job, but there is an Ah’ but now if I was the
guvnor’ and had to go in my pocket for the diesel it would be the
Gardner every time, I’d buy the driver a great coat from the army
and navy shop out of the fuel savings to keep him/her warm.
thanks harry, long retired.

But would you buy him waterproofs so he could wash his vehicle in the winter? :wink:

harry_gill:
Hiya,

You can keep the WW1 Great Coat I’d want a bomber crew flying suit which was the kit of choice of 50’s bikers. :smiley:

Meanwhile a big paint pot with a bit of diesel in it and some diesel soaked rags left on the passenger side and a box of matches,leave the passenger side window open a bit,two problems solved.It’ll keep you warm and with any luck it might also set fire to the Gardner engined heap at some point.

Then the guvnor can buy the 280 Rolls powered one he should have bought in the beginning,with the insurance money. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

dave docwra:
The chap who drove it was Tommy Doyle & his story as told by his Son seems very genuine & also fits in with my memories of the St Albans depot, I like the part where after three years with the Guy he was told his 240 was not a front line trunker any longer which he was not happy with, he was to be given a 250 ■■■■■■■ powered tractor unit to replace it, which does not say much about the times when after three years 10bhp was an advancement.

The fact that they could have specced it with a 280 Rolls from around '74 and that people were using Scania 110’s and F88’s before that on UK haulage says more about the operator than the ‘times’. :bulb: :wink:

My 5yr old ■■■■■■■ 220 got through £5 worth a week of easy start 50 weeks of the year my boss paid. Me always happy first hour of the shift :smiley:

Retired Old ■■■■:
But would you buy him waterproofs so he could wash his vehicle in the winter? :wink:

Hiya,
Not bloody likely, ROF when they’re on the wash they’re mekkin’ nowt,
that’s what one gaffer once told me and his words held me in good
stead all my, years, I did allow the trailer boy in my younger days on
the road to partake of the facilities but only because they wanted to
I never kicked their arses to get the hosepipe out they did it for the
love of the job, I was more it puts food on the table and pays the
mortgage type, never in love with the job, those hosepipe thingy’s
were handy for topping the window washers up and giving the glass
a squirt in conjunction with the wipers being operated.

coomsey:
My 5yr old ■■■■■■■ 220 got through £5 worth a week of easy start 50 weeks of the year my boss paid. Me always happy first hour of the shift :smiley:

Hiya,
My 220 ■■■■■■■ never once required any Easy Start, always was
straight away on the button and you could see to drive off those
dirty Percy thingy’s left the yard full of smoke and God knows
what that did to your lungs how they got away with it for all the
years beggars belief, certainly wouldn’t be allowed nowadays I
would think.

harry_gill:
Hiya,

As a fleet driver we had ERFs with 250 ■■■■■■■ …265 RR and 240 percy. …none of us wanted the Gardner. …but as you say …I wasn’t paying the fuel bill

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Our fleet was 100% Gardner powered when I started driving and I couldn’t care less what was under the bonnet as long as the wages was good
By the way the firm I worked for was the best payer in the East Midlands and probably one of the best in the UK regarding pay and conditions

harry_gill:

coomsey:

Hiya,
My 220 ■■■■■■■ never once required any Easy Start, always was
straight away on the button and you could see to drive off those
dirty Percy thingy’s left the yard full of smoke and God knows
what that did to your lungs how they got away with it for all the
years beggars belief, certainly wouldn’t be allowed nowadays I
would think.

Must admit I preferred the easy start to the cab full of blue smoke. It certainly was a drawn out affair with the Gardner of a wintertime, used to have a ■■■ when starting to counteract the fumes :smiley:

I recall that the NHK-series ■■■■■■■ were partial to a spot of heat on a cold winter’s morning. The method on the Big Js was to take the air filter element out of it’s housing (three clips & a wing nut) then stuff a dozen or so log sheets :unamused: into the casing & set light to them. Jump into the cab, turn the key, then watch as the engine fired up & spat bits of burnt log sheet out of the exhaust. After a few seconds the plot could be left idling while you replaced the filter element. Better (and cheaper) than throwing nasty chemicals into my baby!

Im sorry but this thread about 8 LXB Gardners fitted into the SOM Group Is doing my ■■■■■■■ head in, Why dosent some High Class R,Sole come up with the proof of the Pudding answeres the The good guys & I mean the Good Guys want to hear, Im off to bed now & god willing at the age of 82 I will wake up in the morning, Rarring to go with no way to ■■■■■■■■■■ to Gan, Regards Larry. Hic Hicidy Hic, Life is for living, So lets do it , :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Im sorry but this thread about 8 LXB Gardners fitted into the SOM Group Is doing my [zb] head in, Why dosent some High Class R,Sole come up with the proof of the Pudding answeres the The good guys & I mean the Good Guys want to hear, Im off to bed now & god willing at the age of 82 I will wake up in the morning, Rarring to go with no way to [zb] to Gan, Regards Larry. Hic Hicidy Hic, Life is for living, So lets do it , :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thats me told…

dave docwra:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Im sorry but this thread about 8 LXB Gardners fitted into the SOM Group Is doing my [zb] head in, Why dosent some High Class R,Sole come up with the proof of the Pudding answeres the The good guys & I mean the Good Guys want to hear, Im off to bed now & god willing at the age of 82 I will wake up in the morning, Rarring to go with no way to [zb] to Gan, Regards Larry. Hic Hicidy Hic, Life is for living, So lets do it , :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thats me told…

Now come on Dave I wasnt getting at you, All I would like to see is a good photo of the good old Gardner 8 Cylinder engine in the Big J. Guy, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

dave docwra:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Thats me told…

Now come on Dave I wasnt getting at you, All I would like to see is a good photo of the good old Gardner 8 Cylinder engine in the Big J. Guy, Regards Larry.

Very touchy some of these Young’uns Larry they should have been up and down the road in our day when they would have had a few rough edges knocked off them PDQ Eh! Cheers Dennis. :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

dave docwra:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Thats me told…

Very touchy some of these Young’uns Larry they should have been up and down the road in our day when they would have had a few rough edges knocked off them PDQ Eh! Cheers Dennis. :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Now come on you two old steamers, you have to think on that us young ones are the future, I would like it noted that I have had plenty of rough edges knocked off me through the years & it has made me a nice shiny diamond :laughing: :laughing:

Good for you, :wink: :wink: :wink: , Regards Larry.

Just found this on Facebook the group is called " Old lost Haulier memories"
But to no avail any pictures grrrrrrrr

Aye Gaz, plenty of chat no concrete fact as in “side on shot” !! Cheers Dennis.