GUY Big J 8LXB Tractor Unit

Side view of one of Smith’s Guys!

s-l500.jpg

That’s it that is the photo the one we have all been looking for well nearly all D S :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Nurse Nurse where is my magnifying glass, hurry this is an emergency… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :sunglasses:

Wonder what this will reveal… :question:

E.W.

ERF-NGC-European:

I thought you might of made more effort Robert to draw a bit more on behind the cab :laughing:

That photo , & possibly a few others taken of that unit have appeared previously on this thread .
It is a pre facelift model , & does not have the front grille extension ,which makes it prior to the date of 8LXB engine option .

The other two cylinders are probably in the boat?

Pete.

Casual Observer:
That photo , & possibly a few others taken of that unit have appeared previously on this thread .
It is a pre facelift model , & does not have the front grille extension ,which makes it prior to the date of 8LXB engine option .

Not sure that it doesn’t show an extended front panel but the rear of the cab detail isn’t really conclusive in that the line looks a bit low to be the top of a Gardner and could be a shadow against the background of the building.

Although another explanation might be that the boat wasn’t a load at all it was just a metaphorical joke by the driver to show that it really was fitted with an 8 LXB boat anchor because he couldn’t believe that it didn’t get the turbo Rolls. :smiling_imp: :open_mouth: :laughing:

windrush:
The other two cylinders are probably in the boat?

Pete.

Your perception is “spot on” Pete :wink: And that Big J is an older model prior to the introduction of the 8LXB engine and I dare bet that when the engine was introduced there was only three manufactures in the queue to receive the first ones, Foden, Atkinson and ERF and Leyland Group in the form of Guy Motors wouldn’t get a “sniff” ! Cheers Dennis.

ERF-NGC-European:

Unit allocated to Alloa depot.

David

Bewick:
Your perception is “spot on” Pete :wink: And that Big J is an older model prior to the introduction of the 8LXB engine and I dare bet that when the engine was introduced there was only three manufactures in the queue to receive the first ones, Foden, Atkinson and ERF and Leyland Group in the form of Guy Motors wouldn’t get a “sniff” ! Cheers Dennis.

To be fair the Leyland share probably increased when the others realised how many customers were going for the even worse boat anchor of the NA ■■■■■■■ instead. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Carryfast:

Casual Observer:

Not sure that it doesn’t show an extended front panel but the rear of the cab detail isn’t really conclusive in that the line looks a bit low to be the top of a Gardner and could be a shadow against the background of the building.

Although another explanation might be that the boat wasn’t a load at all it was just a metaphorical joke by the driver to show that it really was fitted with an 8 LXB boat anchor because he couldn’t believe that it didn’t get the turbo Rolls. :smiling_imp: :open_mouth: :laughing:

Carryfast

Try reading things as they are written , not as you THINK they are written

Try page 81 for same photo , & ensuing debate , then page 82 for that & other photos on same unit including 3/4 front view .
You even made a comment on 82 , on what may be thought of as a rocker cover is part of sheet on building in background.

Casual Observer:

Carryfast:

Carryfast

Try reading things as they are written , not as you THINK they are written

Try page 81 for same photo , & ensuing debate , then page 82 for that & other photos on same unit including 3/4 front view .
You even made a comment on 82 , on what may be thought of as a rocker cover is part of sheet on building in background.

That’s what I said.It doesn’t look like a clear picture of the top end of a Gardner engine more like an easily confused shadow of a dark line etc all merging against the background behind the vehicle in whatever form. :confused:

If anyone is interested there is a group on Facebook called Night trunkers past and present. There was a recent post about one of Smiths night trunkers with a 240 Big J and there was a picture of the unit. Dont know if this has been mentioned before as I have not been online in a while, apologies if it has been mentioned recently.

JB1977:
If anyone is interested there is a group on Facebook called Night trunkers past and present. There was a recent post about one of Smiths night trunkers with a 240 Big J and there was a picture of the unit. Dont know if this has been mentioned before as I have not been online in a while, apologies if it has been mentioned recently.

This is the thread it should be on “JB 1977” not Arse Book ! :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Bewick.

Hi All, Has anyone access to check truck registrations, if so could they please check OWG852M as I believe this was a SOM Guy fitted with a 240 from new.

Thanks Dave.

dave docwra:
Hi All, Has anyone access to check truck registrations, if so could they please check OWG852M as I believe this was a SOM Guy fitted with a 240 from new.

Thanks Dave.

I’ve seen that picture Dave on Facebook on a site called
“Night trunkers past and present”

This is coming up as a 1974 Green Fait Petrol car on the DVLA check site! Franky.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Dennis will be pleased Im sure, Will this mystery ever be solved I wonder :question: :question: :question: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Regards Larry.

gazsa401:

dave docwra:

Thanks Dave.

Thats the one, I can not copy & past as it has copyrights attached, Strange how the registration is showing as a Fiat.

dave docwra:

gazsa401:

dave docwra:

Thanks Dave.

Thats the one, I can not copy & past as it has copyrights attached, Strange how the registration is showing as a Fiat.

Perhaps it should have read fake., :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , I do wish someone would post a full veiw photo of this so called SOM Big J Showing a Gardner 8 LXB Enigine sticking out of the back of the cab, & Then all us old Gardner Nutters can go out on the ■■■■, Excluding that ■■■■ from Leatherhead of course, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Regards Larry.