The new boy.

Hello everyone I’m new here

Welcome to Trucknet.

Welcome to TN,spreadaxle.

David :slight_smile:

Hello there, matey. As long as you’re prepared to both give and take a bit of banter you’ll fit right in here.

Welcome buddy .

Hiya “Widespread” :sunglasses: welcome onto the TN site :wink: Well if no one else will ask,I will ! Do you know anything about ,or have you ever seen a Guy Big J tractor unit fitted with a Gardner 8LXB engine ? To the trenches :blush: :blush: :grimacing: ,this question will defo get the abusive juices flowing from the other inmates! Cheers Bewick.

welcome to the mad house :slight_smile:

cheers
gaz

Hello and thanks for the welcome lads.

Bewick, yes I do have a little knowlegde of the 8pot Big J. I drove one for a while when I was at Smiths. We had twenty odd of them as I recall, I had an allocated unit and mine had the Fuller in it and a coach diff, it took a while to wind her up, but once she was there, WHOOSH.

with that sense of humour you’ll fit in a treat with the barmy buggers on here , welcome , cheers , dave

spreadaxle:
Hello and thanks for the welcome lads.

Bewick, yes I do have a little knowlegde of the 8pot Big J. I drove one for a while when I was at Smiths. We had twenty odd of them as I recall, I had an allocated unit and mine had the Fuller in it and a coach diff, it took a while to wind her up, but once she was there, WHOOSH.

Aye OK "spreadaxle"you’ve obviously been “primed” by one of the other inmates me thinks !! Big J’s were only ever fitted with one axle and the same axles were never fitted to coach chassis :astonished: :astonished: OH! and I was led to believe that SOM had 40 8LXB Big J’s so your arithmatic is a “bit out” probably the same as your immagination about the speed you achieved,out of stick,down Beatock eh! Anyhow,no doubt my comments will stimulate much debate,so back to trenches pass my tin hat please Larry !! Cheers Bewick.

It may have appeared that Smiths had 40 8LXB Big Js, but that was only because they were so fast most people saw the same wagon twice.

You are incorrect about the axles, the 505 engines had one axle ratio, the 680 engines had one axle ratio, the 6LXB engines had one axle ratio, the 8LXB had one axle ratio, the various ■■■■■■■ had various axle ratio, the ratios for the NHC 180 and the NTC335 were very different, as were the later E290s that the GPO had. Then there were the Shrewsbury engined models, with a different ratio again.

The 8LXB Big Js in Smiths’ fleet were road going test beds, different axle ratios were tried and different gearboxes too, one had a ZF, one had a Spicer, two had a DB, one with a two speed axle and the other without, one had the Thorneycroft 6 speed, another had that fancy gearbox out of the Leyland Beaver, the rest were Fuller. My one also had a Maxaret anti lock braking system and a Hope anti jack knife lock on it.

I’ll have a dig around in the shed, got a photo somewhere of me sat in the old girl at Eccles with one of the Gardner boys stood next to it, it is a black and white Polaroid I’m afraid, but you can see the last two pots peering out from the back of the cab.

spreadaxle:
It may have appeared that Smiths had 40 8LXB Big Js, but that was only because they were so fast most people saw the same wagon twice.

You are incorrect about the axles, the 505 engines had one axle ratio, the 680 engines had one axle ratio, the 6LXB engines had one axle ratio, the 8LXB had one axle ratio, the various ■■■■■■■ had various axle ratio, the ratios for the NHC 180 and the NTC335 were very different, as were the later E290s that the GPO had. Then there were the Shrewsbury engined models, with a different ratio again.

The 8LXB Big Js in Smiths’ fleet were road going test beds, different axle ratios were tried and different gearboxes too, one had a ZF, one had a Spicer, two had a DB, one with a two speed axle and the other without, one had the Thorneycroft 6 speed, another had that fancy gearbox out of the Leyland Beaver, the rest were Fuller. My one also had a Maxaret anti lock braking system and a Hope anti jack knife lock on it.

I’ll have a dig around in the shed, got a photo somewhere of me sat in the old girl at Eccles with one of the Gardner boys stood next to it, it is a black and white Polaroid I’m afraid, but you can see the last two pots peering out from the back of the cab.

I’m holding my breath :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: ,this could be the breakthrough we have all been waiting for “spredaxle” :smiley: :smiley: I’ve got say I never saw any other BigJ tractor units with anything other than the one Hub reduction axle and either theThorney 6 speed or the Fuller,I’ll agree that the 505 AEC engined 4 wheelers did use the Eaton 2 speed axle,not sure which gearbox though ! No doubt there were some road tests carried out but in isolation I should think.Cheers Bewick.

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT :laughing: ! Welcome to TN Spreadaxle, I’d say you are settling in nicely :smiley:

Bewick:
I’m holding my breath :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:.Cheers Bewick.

Don’t stop on my account. Cheers Spreadaxle :laughing:

spreadaxle:

Bewick:
I’m holding my breath :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:.Cheers Bewick.

Don’t stop on my account. Cheers Spreadaxle :laughing:

Join the queue then “Spreadaxle” :sunglasses: :sunglasses: No my face hasn’t changed purple,it’s always that colour eh! Cheers Bewick :blush: :blush: :wink:

Welcome to you The New Boy,

with the depth of your knowledge so early on in this long running debate i suggest that you must be a plant within this wonderful cocoon of ours here on T.N. :unamused: :smiley:

EITHER WAY YOU ARE MOST WELCOME… and come up with those pic’s and you will be a hero.!!!

E.W.

Thanks E.W.

Long running debate? I don’t follow?

I will try to find the photo, but anyone with a shed will tell you that it’s going to be quite the job, it’s in need of a woman’s touch, but the old dear is banned from my little haven :laughing:

spreadaxle:
Hello everyone I’m new here

Welcome :smiley:

Bewick’s been holding his breath for a couple of weeks waiting in vain for evidence of my Big J factory-fitted with the optional 10-cylinder rotary engine.

Oh dear someone disagrees with “Bewick”. I sense lots of south ■■■■■■■■ ranting.