Smith of maddiston. Southampton. 1970's

Can anyone see any 8LXBs poking out behind these Guy Big-Js? Pic 4 looks like a possibility! Robert

4.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:
Can anyone see any 8LXBs poking out behind these Guy Big-Js? Pic 4 looks like a possibility! Robert

Picture 4 Robert is not a Big J,a Guy Warrior perhaps,but not a Big J.

David

5thwheel:

ERF-NGC-European:

David

Oh yes, your’e right :laughing: :laughing: . Robert :blush:

Oh, REALLY, Robert! How do you expect to be taken seriously as a Big J/240 spotter if you make such a schoolboy error? Stay behind after class and give me 500 lines- “I must not confuse Guy Motors’ models”. :unamused: :wink: :unamused: :wink:

Retired Old ■■■■:
Oh, REALLY, Robert! How do you expect to be taken seriously as a Big J/240 spotter if you make such a schoolboy error? Stay behind after class and give me 500 lines- “I must not confuse Guy Motors’ models”. :unamused: :wink: :unamused: :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

David

5thwheel:

Retired Old ■■■■:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

David

And I really should know better! I first encountered one of these beasts on my way to school as an infant in about 1957 or 8. It was parked in a square and I stood in front of it, filled with admiration: I was vastly impressed! :wink: :laughing: Robert

image-5.jpg

5thwheel:
David

Did they ever fit the 8LW to those motors, I wonder?

[zb]
anorak:

5thwheel:
David

The Guy units were “Invincibles” and they didn’t have the 8LXB fitted either the choice of engines IIRC were ■■■■■■■ 180’s and Gardner LX150’s I don’t think the AEC 7:7 was an option but not sure ! They were IIRC only about an 8’ 6’’ WB whereas the Big J was 9’ 6’’ WB. Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

[zb]
anorak:

5thwheel:
David

The Guy units were “Invincibles” and they didn’t have the 8LXB fitted either the choice of engines IIRC were ■■■■■■■ 180’s and Gardner LX150’s I don’t think the AEC 7:7 was an option but not sure ! They were IIRC only about an 8’ 6’’ WB whereas the Big J was 9’ 6’’ WB. Cheers Bewick.

And the 8LXB powered ones were 18"longer I believe… although I could possibly be wrong there?:wink:

Pete.

windrush:

Bewick:

[zb]
anorak:

5thwheel:
David

And the 8LXB powered ones were 18"longer I believe… although I could possibly be wrong there?:wink:

Pete.

I do believe you are wrong Pete :wink: :open_mouth: But you could have set another Hare running Mate because there will now be claims made that SOM ran some 10ft WB Guy Invincibles with 8LW engines ! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis. PS LW’s not LXB’s !

Gave a mate a lift to the Hounsdown depot for a job interview in (I think) 1974, while he was having a driving acessment the manager asked if I had an HGV licence, I said I did and was already doing class 1 work, he asked what I was earning and when I told him £10 a day (not bad money in them days) + night out money + bonus, he offered me £11 a day to work for them. I declined, but that was how it was for a few years after the HGV licence was brought in, more jobs than drivers.

Weren’t there some Atkinsons with 8LWs :question: :question:

gingerfold:
Weren’t there some Atkinsons with 8LWs :question: :question:

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … see-at-the

When I was with Elgin transport in 77 there was a Seddon Atki with a Gardner 240 I,m 90 % sure anyway ■■?

Of course, Dave was sent up to Scotland to be taught how to Rope & Sheet correctly before getting behind the wheel of a SoM lorry! The Rose Bushes in his garden are well ■■■■■■■, old lessons are never forgot!
We have certain standard’s, you know!
Alex

[Photobucket

Hi Fergie 47. Was this the Gordon Prebble era ? And can you remind us of some of the drivers at that time. I’m sure the namesof Mick Hennessy, John
Poelvedore and Bob Alford would be amongst them.

TIR Original:
Hi Fergie 47. Was this the Gordon Prebble era ? And can you remind us of some of the drivers at that time. I’m sure the namesof Mick Hennessy, John
Poelvedore and Bob Alford would be amongst them.

TIR :- This was the Bob Alford era mate. First , down next to Jameson’s yard near the floating bridge, then up at Nutsey Lane, Totton with Bulwark tankers
( same company ) Some of the drivers, as you said Mick Hennessey, Bobby Knox, Jimmy Carlin. Mick Broomfield, Pete Humphries, Monty Theobald, Denny Dickson, Tony mapson ( Mappo ) Mick Burchitt, Mick Stamp, George Mitchel , Bob Jackson, Jock Brechen, Jock McDonald, the list goes on, but the memories fading !
I’m guessing a lot more people on this site either worked there, or knew someone who did. At the time it was a great company to work for.

Yes Fergie, certainly some good old names there and I knew all of them.
Nutsey Lane, yes thats where they went when they sold out to United Transport, as did Bulwark and Jameson UK etc.
That was what you may call “the beginning of the end” Although they can’t wipe out what’s inside our heads eh !! ?

TIR Original:
Yes Fergie, certainly some good old names there and I knew all of them.
Nutsey Lane, yes thats where they went when they sold out to United Transport, as did Bulwark and Jameson UK etc.
That was what you may call “the beginning of the end” Although they can’t wipe out what’s inside our heads eh !! ?

Your right there, and this site brings back more memories, and more names, long may it grow eh !