Greenwoods transport

Marky Jennings:
Hello Everybody
My Dad Phil Jennings drove for Greenwoods when they where still home counties running out of Hainault before they changed to Greenwoods and went to pegamoid road then onto hoddesdon, I remember names like blossom, Dicky fenton (who I bumped into in henrietta st in london in 86, thanks for taking me and Ian for to buy our west ham and arsenal kits when we were kids) Ray Field, Colin Harding and Bob Richards who I picked up in my cab in southend 24 years after i last saw him and have the pleasure of bumping into every now and then, He’s just retired, happy retirement Bob.
Dad’s Lorry was an brown bedford then an AEC, HUC614K, then a leyland lynx I cant remember the others, but I’ll never forget sleeping on the engine cover from the age of 2, Dad used to love me and my brother Ian going out with him, especially when we were old enough to sheet and rope, the work was hard, but the comics were a plenty, there was mate of dad’s who used to live in looe in cornwall.
Sadly dad died in 89 but I know that the best years of his life were working at Greenwoods, he had some good mates there and I have some very fond memories of those green and white lorries with the orange fuel tank.[/quote[

Hi marky,
i remember your dad i think there was a little click there your dad phil, pete harris, alan leal, dave parr, dave true and my old man bill poulton who sadly passed away in 2007.im trying to remember the fellers name who lived in truro,we moved to cornwall also with the old man doing 2 trips a week down there but parking at home for the weekend,
my dad always said it was the best job ever.
cheers steve.

I can remember Greenwoods having an office on the Milk Market Newcastle Quayside, IIRC, The transport managers was called Allan Coates, After that he started his own clearing house named Nalla Transport Ltd, Any of you Greewood lads remember any of this, It was late 50s early 60s, Era, Regards Larry.

Marky Jennings:
Hello Everybody
My Dad Phil Jennings drove for Greenwoods when they where still home counties running out of Hainault before they changed to Greenwoods and went to pegamoid road then onto hoddesdon, I remember names like blossom, Dicky fenton (who I bumped into in henrietta st in london in 86, thanks for taking me and Ian for to buy our west ham and arsenal kits when we were kids) Ray Field, Colin Harding and Bob Richards who I picked up in my cab in southend 24 years after i last saw him and have the pleasure of bumping into every now and then, He’s just retired, happy retirement Bob.
Dad’s Lorry was an brown bedford then an AEC, HUC614K, then a leyland lynx I cant remember the others, but I’ll never forget sleeping on the engine cover from the age of 2, Dad used to love me and my brother Ian going out with him, especially when we were old enough to sheet and rope, the work was hard, but the comics were a plenty, there was mate of dad’s who used to live in looe in cornwall.
Sadly dad died in 89 but I know that the best years of his life were working at Greenwoods, he had some good mates there and I have some very fond memories of those green and white lorries with the orange fuel tank.[/quote[

Hi marky,
i remember your dad i think there was a little click there your dad phil, pete harris, alan leal, dave parr, dave true and my old man bill poulton who sadly passed away in 2007.im trying to remember the fellers name who lived in truro,we moved to cornwall also with the old man doing 2 trips a week down there but parking at home for the weekend,
my dad always said it was the best job ever.
cheers steve.

Hi Steve
I cant for the life of me remember the blokes name from cornwall, it’ll probably come when i least expect it.
yesterday bumped into Bob richards, I told him about this website, he was quite enthusiastic, told me that when they went from the dodge’s to the AEc’s it was like jumping into a rolls royce, and that after trials greenwoods admitted that the servicing costs were £330 for the dodge and £18 for the AEC, I think this made the lads happy.
I remember a time when Dad pulled into pegamoid road to do the west country run, and Bobs lorry was broken down, also on a west country run, So Dad had Bobs run loaded onto his lorry as well as his own, they both left with nigh on twenty ton on a ten ton flat bed, crazy buggers, you’d never get away with that today. thats the sort of camaraderie they had.
Those two also run around for about a year with each others number plates on the back of their lorries Dad had as mentioned earlier HUC614K and Bob had HUC615K, no one noticed, not even dad or bob.
I think that it is quite astounding what effect Greenwoods had on not only our fathers lives but also the kids that followed, i notice a lot of blokes talking about their fathers with fond memories. very impressive.
Bob spoke about Blossom doing the jive with some bird while they were having a night out, blossom was standing on a chair, Bob was sure he was gonna come a cropper but he never did, bloody clever.
I’ll try and get Bob to have a look at this site I think he’ll have a lot of good memories to share.
All the best
Mark (Marky is what Dad called me) A.K.A Phil’s boy

To whoever knew him. Just heard from Dave Sparks that Jeff Baker has sadly died. I have no further information. Jeff was a really nice guy. A true gent.

Hi marky
I think yr right about the effects Greenwoods had on our fathers, I know it had a effect on me I still think back to the days I spent with me dad during my school days. I found a couple of pictures on the internet and a video on YouTube of teddy wolfs foden…I spoke to my dad on the phone the other day I told him about Jeff baker passing away he was shocked, then he started talking about the job that he clearly enjoyed, he can remember most of the blokes he worked with and some of the things they got up too with a big smile on his face. I know for a fact if it wasn’t for redundancy in 85 he would’ve stayed there… He often said wherever he worked that the place wasn’t like Greenwoods , the drivers stuck together no matter wot.
Regards simon

Hi Marky.
I knew you dad very well. I was the driver that moved to Cornwall. My name is Marcel but all at Greenwoods called me ginger. Your dad used to take me from Hoddesdon to my mums at Dagenham and pick me up next morning, otherwise it meant a kip in the cab. That was fine when I had a Leyland Clydesdale but no good in the AEC. I used to bring up China clay on Monday stay up in depot until Thursday when I went home with the Penzance run. Greenwoods was the best company I had ever worked for and still remember some of the old drivers now, its a shame we are all getting old now(68 now) and here of old mates dying. I live in Somerset now and would like to hear from my old workmates. I am in contact with Colin H. and David Trew. Any more mates would be great.

Hi all,
As an Hanson pensioner ex Goldfields ex ARC ex Amey group ex Ameys transport etc etc . I was wondering what the history of Greenwoods was ,I had been transferred from Ameys Transport(Oxford) to another part of Amey Group before Goldfields took over and remember Greenwoods coming into Wootton ,Exeter, Cheltenham and Frome depots ,when ARC /Hanson came about then Transport seem to disappear and then lost touch with former mates over the years.

How did Greenwoods come to be in the Goldfield camp in the first place ,were they actually merged with Amey/Victory ,or just run alongside , thanks for any forthcoming information

Hi, my dad worked for Greenwoods at Stretton Warrington his name is Kenny Forbes he got the very first Daf 2800 at Greenwoods in 1975.

Hi all I don’t know if anyone remembers me I am George Evans I worked at Greenwoods Transport in Hoddesdon from 1978 to 1985. I am now retired and living in Taunton, Somerset. I remember most of the guys and they where the best I had ever worked with! Always had a great time with everyone that worked there. Never a dull moment. Some of the guys I remember, Ernie Jones, Bob Lewis, Dave Cox, Mick Largent, ■■■■ Holbrook, Colin Finn, Bill Stock, John Cooper, Trevor Harris, Micky Allen, John Bacon, Ralph Walton that’s all I can think of at the moment. I remember doing a changeover at Taunton Dean Services with Ginger Sargent one Christmas and tipping his backload from China Clay in Cornwall to somewhere in east London. Now I am living in Taunton.

Ello Ginger

Sorry haven’t replied sooner but I’ve only just seen your post, It was very typical of Dad (Phil Jennings) to help people out, he was very thoughtful like that, I remember meeting you in the car park in looe in the late 70’s early 80’s, you pulled in in your greenwoods lorry, must have been a thursday night, sounds daft now but the sight of one of Greenwoods motors always created an air of excitement, like a rare sighting of something or other, you and Dad had a chat for quite a while, I did cheekily ask if I could go out in the lorry with you the next day but unfortunately you would have been away longer than we were on holiday, so it wasn’t to be, never mind Dad took us out fishing instead, we filled a whole dustbin full of mackerel, it’s funny how one memory leads onto another.
Anyway thanks for replying and thank you for the fond memories of my old man.

Much Appreciated

Marky

I have memories of my Dad removing his movement recorder from the cab of his AEC & securing it on the back of the trailer, I think it was to stop it working, but could be wrong…

Anyone remember this? I think they only had one at edmonton i think it was a spare lorry, id like to think its my old man driving but you cant really see.
marky do you see much of bob richards? He was one my dads mates there.
steve.

10403649_10206509864773987_2318780406779113431_n.jpeg

That picture may have been taken at Edmonton Angel, heading west on the north circular.

dave docwra:
I have memories of my Dad removing his movement recorder from the cab of his AEC & securing it on the back of the trailer, I think it was to stop it working, but could be wrong…

Hi dave,
who was your dad and when was he there?
steve.

pollystag:

dave docwra:

Hi dave,
who was your dad and when was he there?
steve.

Hi Steve,

Same name as me & it would have been about 1972.

Dave Docwra.

Hi dave,
I left greenwoods at the end of 1971 just before they moved to hoddeston so just before your dad started.

Hi Steve, He left whilst they were based at Pegamoid Rd, He was gone before some sort of issue with, what I think was something to do with Daltons weekly, He moved onto STC at Southgate.

Dave.

Hi Steve

Yes I see Bob Richards quite a lot, I won’t say he’s a creature of habit, But 11am in the Rumblin tum Cafe, in Hamlet Court Rd, Westcliff on Sea they’ll be a bloke eating tomatoes on toast, that’ll be Bob.

Anyone recognize this place ?

Sorry but I can’t get it to go the right way up, but click on the photo and it’ll open in a new window the right way up.

Pegamoid Road

Still can’t get the F$£%&NG photos to stand up, never mind

Mark

Ain’t changed has it, these were taken 2 weeks ago

I would like to wish all Old Greenwoods drivers wherever they are and what ever depot a very merry Christmas and very happy new year. All the best guys. Ginger Sarjant from Hoddesdon.