Got a run to the Isle Of Uist.... Info please

LowRange:
Skye to Mallaig ferry used to be notorious for cancellations, check ahead. Also enquire about your height for that ferry, maybe it’s changed but used to be quite a small ferry and not one lorries tended to use but it does sound like your only option.

Avoid A82 Loch Lomond if you can, full of tourists and coaches with a few narrow miles where trucks/buses meeting often bring traffic to a standstill. Easier going up the M73/M9 towards Stirling then turning off M9 onto A84. Couple of blind bends you’ll need to crawl round on that road but it’s nowhere near as bad as Loch Lomond road. Watch your mirrors going up through Glencoe, soft verges with just enough room for 2 lorries to pass on certain stretches. (Reading that back it sounds hellish but it’s not that bad!)

Other than that it’s a beautiful journey though so enjoy!

We had a few runs up there in Feb/ March. At one point I had a crew that were delayed a day going out, they got over and then couldn’t get back for 24 hours, with another crew on the Uk side also unable to go over. :unamused:

There is the option of Uig to Lochmaddy which is our route for Benbecula. Driving from the North down to South Uist is not that far, but certainly no dual carriageway :laughing: . I would have thought Calmac would advise if the ferry was unsuitable for a truck.

My lads actually run up to Dalwhinnie on the A9 and run across to Fort William that way, less of a maul on the A roads, but yes, whichever way you go, avoid Loch Lomond!

I cant understand all the dislikes of driving round there, just take it steady and enjoy the scenery. It’s a ■■■■ sight better than driving in any city ‘darn sarf’ !!!

Jm11:
If you are in Skye anyway would you not get ferry from uig to lochmaddy and drive down to south Uist ? Seems along way round your doing it via mallaig.
If your coming from south and heading for Skye it’s quicker heading up a9 to dalwhinnie and then across to speanbridge,nicer run up a82 but getting busy with tourists now

Exactly what I was thinking.

South Uist is all about the beaches - the west coast is one long beach. The midges there aren’t too bad as it’s fairy constantly breezy. They only come out in still air. Avon Skin So Soft is your friend though. The local shops sell it.

There isn’t a great choice of eateries - a couple of hotels and a few cafes, mostly dotted along the main road.

The shop (there is only one really) - a Co-Op - is to the south just beyond Dalabrog - on the B888 just south of where the main A road turns towards Lochboisdale.

wood fuel:

Jm11:
If you are in Skye anyway would you not get ferry from uig to lochmaddy and drive down to south Uist ? Seems along way round your doing it via mallaig.
If your coming from south and heading for Skye it’s quicker heading up a9 to dalwhinnie and then across to speanbridge,nicer run up a82 but getting busy with tourists now

Exactly what I was thinking.

South Uist is all about the beaches - the west coast is one long beach. The midges there aren’t too bad as it’s fairy constantly breezy. They only come out in still air. Avon Skin So Soft is your friend though. The local shops sell it.

There isn’t a great choice of eateries - a couple of hotels and a few cafes, mostly dotted along the main road.

The shop (there is only one really) - a Co-Op - is to the south just beyond Dalabrog - on the B888 just south of where the main A road turns towards Lochboisdale.

Think it could be that I’m delivering to as its shop fittings I’m delivering. I checked on the net yesterday for places to park and an hotel come up that allows free parking for caravans, coaches and it says HGV’s not far from the Co Op do you know if this is true?

where the heck is Uist,never heard of it,i’m assuming wales by the replies

truckman020:
where the heck is Uist,never heard of it,i’m assuming wales by the replies

You didn’t do geography at school then ?
It’s a island of the west coast of Scotland called the outer Hebrides

Cream.
Done a lot of motorcycling in the area.
Enjoy

Jm11:

I’m forgetting there are no ferries needed between North and South Uist, doh! Yes, Uig on Skye a far more sensible route. I find there’s not much difference between going via Glencoe or Dalwhinnie, A9 maybe slightly quicker now that it’s 50mph for HGV’s. If OP were to go one way and come back the other he’d get the best of both worlds and take in the scenery of both routes. One point to note is there’s not much in the way of fuel stations north of Fort William so plan ahead!

I saw a recent thread where some folk were saying there are no nice roads in the UK, they wouldn’t be saying that if they’d ever driven this journey!

Yes, yes, yes to going via Uig on Skye across to Lochmaddy, (2hrs on the boat,) then driving south to Dalabrog,(maybe take you an hour and a half tops)The way your office has planned it is crazy.
If you’ve never been up this part of the world before then yes also to going north by one route, then south by the other, if the weather is any way decent it’s stunning.
Parking will not be a problem, you can park just about anywhere. If you get a chance, just drop the trailer and go cruising with the unit. It’s not far to go further south, over the causeway , and onto the island of Eriskay, of "Whisky Galore fame. Lochboisdale Hotel used to have good food and drink if you fancy a pint!!, there’s lots of others to choose from.
Just one thing to be absolutely certain about is that the trailer has got ferry lashing points fitted, preferably four down each side, otherwise you won’t be shipped.
ENJOY
ENJOY
ENJOY