Google maps as a GPS

UKtramp:
Google maps is what most will use in conjunction with a Satnav, great for street views etc, would be data hungry to use all of the time for most who may have a lesser data contract. Best option is CoPilot truck which is an off line map and data usage is minimal for the traffic part of it. I use Google maps and CoPilot in conjunction of each other. Like all SatNavs you have to treat them as dumb and check your route with a traditional map.

How exactly do you know most will use Google maps in conjunction with a satnav?

Nevermind the data I find Google maps can eat my phones battery.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Dimlaith:

UKtramp:
Google maps is what most will use in conjunction with a Satnav, great for street views etc, would be data hungry to use all of the time for most who may have a lesser data contract. Best option is CoPilot truck which is an off line map and data usage is minimal for the traffic part of it. I use Google maps and CoPilot in conjunction of each other. Like all SatNavs you have to treat them as dumb and check your route with a traditional map.

Everyone I know and most on here will use it too, if you visit somewhere you have never been before as most of us trampers do, we use google maps to look at entrances and delivery gates etc. Its a pretty standard practice, why? never heard of it before or something?

UKtramp:

Dimlaith:

UKtramp:

Everyone I know and most on here will use it too, if you visit somewhere you have never been before as most of us trampers do, we use google maps to look at entrances and delivery gates etc. Its a pretty standard practice, why? never heard of it before or something?

Exactly - it’s handy to spot everything from one way systems with an entry/exit on different roads, or finding that where your paperwork says ABC Ltd, it’s actually a site run by Faceless Logistics MegaCorp etc etc

UKtramp:

Dimlaith:

UKtramp:

You made a bold statement that “most use it”! As if you had conducted a survey of lorry drivers to to come to this conclusion. So basically you know a few drivers who use it yet you know most do? You really do come across as the RDC know it all bore we all try to avoid.

Dimlaith:
You made a bold statement that “most use it”! As if you had conducted a survey of lorry drivers to to come to this conclusion. So basically you know a few drivers who use it yet you know most do? You really do come across as the RDC know it all bore we all try to avoid.

That is no bold statement, you are obviously not a driver as if you were you would already know this. Also your attitude if you don’t mind me saying is of someone who isn’t quite right in the head. How on earth can you take my common knowledge statement as so insulting to you. Please don’t ever get a HGV young man or you may find yourself on the receiving end of someones fist. Your time would be better spent learning some social skills.

There you go again, making assumptions on people you have never meet and have no knowledge of. You really are a first class ■■■.

Google maps /Xgody .spot on for me …

Dimlaith:
There you go again, making assumptions on people you have never meet and have no knowledge of. You really are a first class ■■■.

Sorry, isn’t that you then or are you different somehow? You are a real fruitcake to say the very least.

That may be so, I have now been diagnosed by the font of all knowledge. Goodnight old boy.

Dimlaith:
That may be so, I have now been diagnosed by the font of all knowledge. Goodnight old boy.

Goodnight young man,

I like driving without a Sat Nav & just do a bit of pre planning with a good truckers atlas/ Google maps & if your unsure just find somewhere to stop and right down a few directions on a sticky note & take your time :"-)

villa:
for a truck driver your best bet is the go professional 520 , free lifetime traffic , maps etc , avoids closed roads and bridges ,congestion etc , you will always be on the best and quickest route , which could alter due to circumstances automatically , while en route , it asks you first of course , and reads your whats app messages out loud if you say yes when it asks you
cost ,less than 200 quid

Yeah it’s what am using and it does get me where i need to be whist avoiding places i shouldn’t be going, up till now it’s never talking me down a road that is not suitable for me, all unsuitable roads are highlighted in pink.

I don’t know where you got your from, mine cost £289.

I find the address but don’t press for directions, I prefer to use it as a live A to Z ie just look to see when the blue dot is near my destination. Never used the navigate mode as I’d guess it eats up data allowance.

Google maps low bridges save it to tablet or smartfone , pretty accurate for looking at your route :smiley:

danny_mk2:

villa:
yeah i use google maps as a sat nav on my phone ,but only in my car , its ideal for that
I have a proper phone holder glued to the dashboard so its handy if i ever need to use google maps to go somewhere or to get home via the quickest route ,
but i wouldnt use it in the cab for work apart from checking the road approaching a customers premises on streetview
for a truck driver your best bet is the go professional 520 , free lifetime traffic , maps etc , avoids closed roads and bridges ,congestion etc , you will always be on the best and quickest route , which could alter due to circumstances automatically , while en route , it asks you first of course , and reads your whats app messages out loud if you say yes when it asks you
cost ,less than 200 quid

Where’s the best place to buy this, Cheapest I’ve seen it is £259

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

just phone tomtom on 02079 490 134
Tell them you are a hgv truck driver interested in replacing your current sat nav *(if you have one)
say your mate recommended the Go professional 520 and he got a 25% discount on his
They might ask what model you currently have or what e mail you use on tomtom home to update it
So just give them your e mail ,
They e mail you with a link that takes you to the website to purchase it with 25% discount and a free case worth 25 quid, it comes to £195 ,

Roymondo:
I think that “less than 200 quid” one is the car version - i.e. no low bridge/weight limit avoidance and routing via totally unsuitable back roads etc. The “Professional” version is about 60 quid more.

No its not , its for trucks , I paid £195

villa:

danny_mk2:

villa:
yeah i use google maps as a sat nav on my phone ,but only in my car , its ideal for that
I have a proper phone holder glued to the dashboard so its handy if i ever need to use google maps to go somewhere or to get home via the quickest route ,
but i wouldnt use it in the cab for work apart from checking the road approaching a customers premises on streetview
cost ,less than 200 quid

Tell them you are a hgv truck driver interested in replacing your current sat nav *(if you have one)
say your mate recommended the Go professional 520 and he got a 25% discount on his
They might ask what model you currently have or what e mail you use on tomtom home to update it
They e mail you with a link that takes you to the website to purchase it with 25% discount and a free case worth 25 quid, it comes to £195 ,

Cheers,

I’ll try it tomorrow [emoji106]

Well-Jell:

villa:
cost ,less than 200 quid

Yeah it’s what am using and it does get me where i need to be whist avoiding places i shouldn’t be going, up till now it’s never talking me down a road that is not suitable for me, all unsuitable roads are highlighted in pink.

I don’t know where you got your from, mine cost £289.

mine was £259 minus £65
25% discount from tomtom = £195

danny_mk2:

villa:

danny_mk2:

villa:
cost ,less than 200 quid

Cheers,

I’ll try it tomorrow [emoji106]

You will love it mate ,
ten times better than that co pilot crap