Trucknav: Must have or an expensive 'can do without'

I’m in need of a new GPS system. The difference between a satnav and trucknav being £200 plus, I’m wondering if they are worth the substantial extra than a normal one? I imagine the only difference being the Trucknav gives height, weight limits, low bridge warnings?

Any feedback and opinions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks all and hope everyone had a great Christmas

I have a normal Sat nav and use it in conjunction with a map and common sense. Many years ago I used just a map and common sense got lost sometimes admittedly but always got there in the end.

Look, i’m an old ■■■■, so take no notice of what i suggest cos the usual suspects will be along in a minute to ridicule anything anyone older thinks.

To me a satnav is a very handy pocket street map of the country, its invaluable for seeing unmarked road turnings before you get to them and streets that the name plates are missing from, and for seeing which exit from a roundabout to take where they remove signs to deter lorries from being able to deliver their goods…no i can’t work it out either.
They are useful for mileage and distance countdown, for accurate speed compliance, you know exactly the speed limit of the road you are on at any time, invaluable for knowing of approaching scammeras and the likely location of unmarked scamera vans hiding in doggers type laybys on unknown routes.

However, a lorry driver plans his or her own route, no one else, electronic or office boy (unless you work for one of those robotised lobotomised companies who treat their drivers as monkeys), either by honed knowledge, word of mouth of a trusted colleauge, or by consulting either an AA or Philips truckers atlas with bridge heights, the AA one does have some weight limits listed too.
Then by all means use the sat nav to monitor junctions etc along the way, but YOU choose the route, the nav should not be telling you where to go.

Satnav comes into its own in strange towns though, useful for guiding you in the last couple of miles.

You don’t need to spend a fortune, bugger spending £400, my son has an ordinary TT and has downloaded the bridge info onto it, belt and braces approach that for peanuts price.

If you’ve got common sense you can survive with a car satnav and map book. That’s what I was doing on the coaches, until I was coming back from wales to yorkshire empty, 3 hour delay on the M6 (tomtom live had told me) but although it found me a route around the traffic it was mainly B roads and un-named roads, not the sort of roads for a 40 foot vehicle. So that’s when I bought the tomtom 5150, purely for the traffic and re-routing ability which in my eyes is worth its weight in gold.

I use a car Tom Tom XL does me ok never had a truck sat nav got most of my shops saved as favourites which is easier as most are hidden off the road.
As said useful for working out how far they are In working out breaks etc.

Jeff.

Has anybody tried the apps such as ‘Co Pilot’, ‘Aponia’, ‘Sygic’ etc?

Ryan90:
Has anybody tried the apps such as ‘Co Pilot’, ‘Aponia’, ‘Sygic’ etc?

Cheers for that, I have used the search bar but didn’t come across that thread.