Getting to a destination

How do “YOU” do it ■■

There’s lots of comments on here stating that SatNavs are the work of the devil, real drivers use a road map, proper drivers stop on the edge of town and ask, old timers use the stars etc etc !!

So you’re given an address that’s new to you, what’s your method of getting there ■■

Get it up on Google maps on my phone then match that up with my map and I’m off.

Combination of all of the above. Quick look at Google Earth on the laptop before I set off, then road maps or Sat Nav once on the road.

I use a map then a good truck satnav if you use them both together with a touch of common sense,no problem.

google maps, then google street view to get the lay of the land. If its an industrial estate trying to find a unit then ask the snack bar women :wink:

I use a road atlas and a truck sat-nav, if the sat-nav route looks OK to me I’ll go with it, if I have any doubts I’ll check with the road atlas.

When I reach a town/city I’ll rely more on the sat-nav but have a couple of times also used Google maps on my phone to find the company I was heading for.

About three months ago I had to stop and ask pedestrians for directions to a place I was looking for and remembered why I now use a sat-nav :smiley:

merc0447:
google maps, then google street view to get the lay of the land. If its an industrial estate trying to find a unit then ask the snack bar women :wink:

if im ever on a ind est and cant find the place il always ask the snack van they are the orrical of said place :smiley:

I just follow the scuff marks on the corners and that seems to take me to it. :stuck_out_tongue:

map ,phone ,prat nav
and taxi drivers and post men/ladys are a good send when the town has changed in the 3 minutes since i knew where i was

map book, a-z’s and word of mouth. :sunglasses:

Turn on sat nav then a bit if common !

Google maps and Google street the then sat nav. street view is a god send. give you lay out of roads. possible obstacles etc very good tool, you know what to expect so not going in blind!

I still have my old atlas about 30 yrs old…and highlite the places id tipped or loaded at…looks like its 300 yrs old…i did buy another one a while ago that had all the bridge hights in it…never had street guides , i was get there and ask…still dont have a satnav.

I use a map, road signs and I remember the route and used to use my phone for maps if im not sure. Not any more though because the new iso6 update is crap, there’s no more street view, no junction numbers, nothing. It used to be google maps but now apple have bought their own out and it’s not as good. In fact it’s awful.

Homing pigeon.

That’s if I haven’t killed it first

FarnboroughBoy11:
I use a map, road signs and I remember the route and used to use my phone for maps if im not sure. Not any more though because the new iso6 update is crap, there’s no more street view, no junction numbers, nothing. It used to be google maps but now apple have bought their own out and it’s not as good. In fact it’s awful.

You can still get google maps on iphone

99% of time A-Z, then mark company in my map.

Now and again use google maps on phone if dodgy one like a house del or a farm. Can usually get good idea of what roads gonna be like, ie parking if del to middle of housing estate if view on satellite image.

Whatever happened to getting out and asking a local.
Usually turns out too be the village idiot or the “i havent lived here long- never heard of it” as he walks away pointing to the sun. . muttering ,bloody strangers.

Map and I do the dying art of asking for directions if, sorry, when I get lost :laughing: If I need my compass things have really gone wrong :confused:

Harry Monk:
I just follow the scuff marks on the corners and that seems to take me to it. :stuck_out_tongue:

funny you should say that, i’ve looked at the tyre marks when out in the sticks. no street name. just something like “the train bridge near xxxx”. :laughing:

but in answer to the question.
map,
sat nav,
common sense,
experience,
and the sun. in pre sat nav days i once had no idea if i was heading south, the sun told me i was, and it all worked out well.