Getting sick whist tramping

Just out of curiosity really if anyone has been is this sort of situation.

This week I had one day off sick, first in over 2 years but luckily I was on a couple of day runs so I was at home when I made the decision I couldn’t work.

Has anyone been in a position where they’ve been out hundreds of miles from base and had something like food poisoning or the norovirus, the kind of thing that no matter big and hard you think you are it just totally wipes you out i.e. Can barely stand and walk without feeling like collapsing, and there’s no way you can drive. What did you/the company do about it in this situation?

You hardly want to be sat in a truck stop in your cab for a couple of days with that do you!

Took ill up in the Highlands one day, bit of a sore stomach so had a lie down for half an hour. Got up felt fine, as soon as the truck was moving I was seriously unwell, parked 100m up the road across a farmer’s gate, just made it out to projectile vomit and have fizzy gravy fly out my back eye at Mach 2.

Was like that for next 10 hours, barely able to stand or move without something rapidly flying out one orifice or another. Patchy phone signal, no internet, managed to get a hold of the office to say I was a tad poorly, was eventually rescued with a van around midnight as the tracker had me about 15 miles away from where I actually was.

I’ve also had a crippling headache before, got myself tipped and told the boss I was parking up and I’d call in the morning, totally fine with it.

A.

Rowley010:
Just out of curiosity really if anyone has been is this sort of situation.

This week I had one day off sick, first in over 2 years but luckily I was on a couple of day runs so I was at home when I made the decision I couldn’t work.

Has anyone been in a position where they’ve been out hundreds of miles from base and had something like food poisoning or the norovirus, the kind of thing that no matter big and hard you think you are it just totally wipes you out i.e. Can barely stand and walk without feeling like collapsing, and there’s no way you can drive. What did you/the company do about it in this situation?

You hardly want to be sat in a truck stop in your cab for a couple of days with that do you!

Local pharmacy,see what they can recommend just to get you by,enough to get you back home.
I did years ago when the screaming abdabs took hold on me.

I’ve been in this position twice,

The first time I had severe chest pains and got rushed to hospital via ambulance. Left truck where it was and the Mrs picked me up. Boss went and collected wagon. No bother.

Second time I had the trots upon waking up. Phoned office and told them I was driving the 2 hours to base and again no bother.

If you work for a semi decent firm they’ll help you out.

Worst job in the world this when your ill.
Remember phoning in one Monday after doing a drop in Midlands asking if I could come back as I was ill and wanted to get to doctors,was ask “why what the [zb] up with you” then asked a manager who said tell him to [zb] he will of been on the beer.
I drove back anyway and went to the doctors then spent two weeks in hospital with a severe infection.
Didn’t have anything said to me about it no apology,didn’t ring to see who I was nothing.
The wife took my sick note in and the boss took it and shook his head.
I didn’t stay long after getting better

Been out ill many times, some of which were self inflicted morning after scenarios :blush: , usually just extended my lie in until ok.
Other times just rang in and explained, and spent most of the day in the bunk and/or carry on a bit if slightly better.
Have got to delivery points a couple of times and explained to whoever that I was going to bed, so if they wanted the load just crack on.

Back in '82 I decided that before I went back to my ship I would cut the grass, it was a scorcher of a day and our garden was like a sun trap and I got really hot. Started driving from Scarborough towards Newcastle when I developed a blinder of a headache so much so I could not drive any longer so the missus took over, got to the ship and sailed for Rotterdam but I have no recollection of this whatsoever, by all accounts I was semi concious for 18 hours or so before I was medivact to hospital by helicopter, seems like I had fried what little amount of brains I had, also the helicopter landing pad was at Ipswich mental hospital so very apt place, two days in for abservation then all was well again so rejoined the ship which had diverted into Ipswich dock :unamused: :laughing:

July 2015. I wasn’t feeling the best but carried on regardless. had been having a bit of groin pain now again for a couple of years but just dismissed it as being something that happens with sitting down for hours on end.
Anyway on this particular day the pain had got worse than ever. I dumped the trailer at a customers for them to load over night and bobbed into the village to get some chips. I ate me tea and took some pain killers and nodded off. A few hours later I awoke in the most horrendous pain ever. Called the office to say I’m going to hospital and was told that there was no one available to pick me up. As I was only 40 minutes from yard I went for it. Got back to yard, jumped in car and headed for hospital 30 minutes away. But on way there I decided to take my old mums advice “if your going to hospital, make sure your wearing clean underwear” so I went home, showered and I felt better so I thought I would see how I went over night. Got up next morning in same kind of horrendous pain so I jumped on the bus and took the 10 minute journey to the hospital. Explained to the nurses what was wrong and was sent for x rays. Now at this point I knew it was going to be appendicitis. Got put on a ward and awaited the results. Didn’t get the results as such but was told they wanted to do a CT scan to make sure, so I just went along with it. An hour after I was back on the ward I had the appendicitis diagnosed and that a surgeon would be long shortly to discuss stuff with me. The surgeon arrived, introduced himself and after the 1st couple of words he spoke, I never heard anything else he said. At that very moment I felt my life fall apart. I could cope with appendicitis but I wasn’t expecting to be told that I had cancer. After a couple of consultations over a couple of days it was decided what was going to happen. I was sent home with antibiotics to get rid of the infection. I then went back into hospital to have my appendix removed and then 4 weeks later I went back in to have my kidney removed and I’ve been alright since.
All I can say is, if your feeling rough, get it checked to be on the safe side. You never know what’s round the corner. The doctors and nurses all said that I must be the only patient they know that was glad to have had appendicitis. Without it, I would never have known about the cancer.
Well that’s my story, sorry it’s long winded but needed to say it out loud.

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

lizard:
July 2015. I wasn’t feeling the best but carried on regardless. had been having a bit of groin pain now again for a couple of years but just dismissed it as being something that happens with sitting down for hours on end.
Anyway on this particular day the pain had got worse than ever. I dumped the trailer at a customers for them to load over night and bobbed into the village to get some chips. I ate me tea and took some pain killers and nodded off. A few hours later I awoke in the most horrendous pain ever. Called the office to say I’m going to hospital and was told that there was no one available to pick me up. As I was only 40 minutes from yard I went for it. Got back to yard, jumped in car and headed for hospital 30 minutes away. But on way there I decided to take my old mums advice “if your going to hospital, make sure your wearing clean underwear” so I went home, showered and I felt better so I thought I would see how I went over night. Got up next morning in same kind of horrendous pain so I jumped on the bus and took the 10 minute journey to the hospital. Explained to the nurses what was wrong and was sent for x rays. Now at this point I knew it was going to be appendicitis. Got put on a ward and awaited the results. Didn’t get the results as such but was told they wanted to do a CT scan to make sure, so I just went along with it. An hour after I was back on the ward I had the appendicitis diagnosed and that a surgeon would be long shortly to discuss stuff with me. The surgeon arrived, introduced himself and after the 1st couple of words he spoke, I never heard anything else he said. At that very moment I felt my life fall apart. I could cope with appendicitis but I wasn’t expecting to be told that I had cancer. After a couple of consultations over a couple of days it was decided what was going to happen. I was sent home with antibiotics to get rid of the infection. I then went back into hospital to have my appendix removed and then 4 weeks later I went back in to have my kidney removed and I’ve been alright since.
All I can say is, if your feeling rough, get it checked to be on the safe side. You never know what’s round the corner. The doctors and nurses all said that I must be the only patient they know that was glad to have had appendicitis. Without it, I would never have known about the cancer.

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

Well said! We’re all stubborn to get niggles checked out and most things if caught early enough can be sorted.

dave_k:

lizard:

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

Well said! We’re all stubborn to get niggles checked out and most things if caught early enough can be sorted.

Thanks dave. I agree that if it hurts, get it checked. If I have any problems now, I’m straight down the docs.

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

Had eboler once, think i got it at watford gap, ok now i think

malcolmgbell:

Good job it wasn’t Ebola, that would’ve been serious… :laughing:

lizard:

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

September last year I took pains in my stomach and was taken by ambulance to Stranaer hospital. A great spot too as everyone seemed to be related to a trucker. Had a CT scan and was told I had just passed a kidney stone. Spent three days in hospital and not a word from my employer. Don’t care as he’s a sad ■■■■ with no life! Anyway, they discovered something else. Ended up a week later in the cancer centre at Belfast City Hospital as they thought I had Non Hodgkin Lymphoma, a blood cancer. Had a biopsy to confirm it which resulted in a serious bleed leaving me seriously ill for a few days. Turns out I had Sarcoidosis not Lymphoma. Big relief or what! Not over yet. I then find out the CT scan showed something wrong. I had kidney cancer. I had two tumours one 4cm and one 2cm on my right kidney. Four weeks ago I had key hole surgery to remove them and I’m still recovering at home. Like yours, most kidney cancers are found incidental. If I hadn’t passed the stone I would be none the wiser. The kidney stone probably saved my life.

The very thing that happen to me in 98.
Came back after New year break, traveled from central Scotland, tip Ellesmere Port then over too kellogs Liverpool. Felt funny most of the trip, weak feeling, actually smelt something but thought don’t be daft.
Got to the docks got out the lorry and collapsed.
Into kellogs and rather than load it there and then I said I’ll load in the morning. So bed and up 6am no bother. Headed up the road and got as far as Charnock Richard and collapsed again. Into bed for an hour then up again and away. Started too feel weak again pulled into Forton services collapsed again. By now I was starting to panic. WTF am I going to do here. Anyway went off again totally confused as to what was happening. Weak, sleep an hour start again. This continued all the way up at every services on the M6 then onto the 74 same all the way to Johnstone bridge services north of Lockerbie. Phoned the boss and told them I could do no more. They weren’t impressed and reluctant, but i jumped into bed waited to be picked up. I could barely stand and I was 2 hours from home, not as far away as some but still stranded and panicking.
Was taken too hospital with type 1 diabetes and sugars off the scale, 5 days in ITU. Virtually all vains unable to be found and body going into shutdown. 4 weeks spent in hospital.
The smell was ketoacidosis, pear drop smell indicating high sugars levels.
I live to tell the long tale, and get my license back which I have. Never leave feeling ill till the last minute. I was not far from a coma and certain death.

I was ill once swallowing a load of sea water when the ferry I was on leaving Belgium capsized and I had to swim for it.

bald bloke:
I was ill once swallowing a load of sea water when the ferry I was on leaving Belgium capsized and I had to swim for it.

I once suffered smoke inhalation issues after entering a property via the balcony.

Reef:

malcolmgbell:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

switchlogic:

Reef:

malcolmgbell:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Maybe he’s Bristolian Luke and spells it like he pronounces it !!

Reef:

malcolmgbell:

the doc said one of the simsons was bad spelling

Feel queezy, get out, go around to passenger side out of sight, and yak on the grass verge.

When it comes to the old Huuuyey Green - it’s not the yakometer that counts - it’s the votes of YOU the voters!