Going sick as a truck driver

Had my first sick day in a long time today.
I couldn’t get any sleep due to cramps.

When I was a fork lift driver/warehouse I would just go to work anyway. Heck as a forklift driver I could often go a few days without sleep. It also didn’t matter if in the warehouse because I just dossed about and did things slower.
As a truck driver it is slightly different I think. I could of gone to work easily but doubt my reactions would of been as good. I defiantly wouldn’t of been as focused. As a warehouse drone as long as I could walk and breathe I’d go to work.

Do you think as a truck driver you need to be more strict with yourself as to if your fit to work or not?

Depends on the illness. The vast majority I’ve always viewed it as that I’ll be poorly sat at home or poorly sat driving so I may aswell feel like ■■■■■ and get paid. It’s probably why I’m rarely off sick.

Having the trots is what I’ve had sick days with. No fun at all lol

toonsy:
Depends on the illness. The vast majority I’ve always viewed it as that I’ll be poorly sat at home or poorly sat driving so I may aswell feel like [zb] and get paid. It’s probably why I’m rarely off sick.

Having the : trots is what I’ve had sick days with. No fun at all lol

Especially if you do it in a plastic bag, with holes in, bloody stuff goes everywhere like a watering can… :grimacing: :open_mouth:

biggriffin:

toonsy:
Depends on the illness. The vast majority I’ve always viewed it as that I’ll be poorly sat at home or poorly sat driving so I may aswell feel like [zb] and get paid. It’s probably why I’m rarely off sick.

Having the : trots is what I’ve had sick days with. No fun at all lol

Especially if you do it in a plastic bag, with holes in, bloody stuff goes everywhere like a watering can… :grimacing: :open_mouth:

Or you get and wipe and a finger bursts through (accidentally) or a fist (non accidental)

Very rarely ill but most things ill just carry on driving but the occasional debilitating headache is another thing…

Granddaughter kindly gave me chicken pox last year, never known pain like it!

Vid:

Did you still drive?

Headaches, toothaches, earaches and other similar ailments are not really a big deal in an office or warehouse environment. When your behind the wheel of a 44t truck though its a different story.
I’ve driven my truck sick but it does feel a bit dodgy. For me I can tell I am not concentrating as much and I know my reactions are not what they should be.
Managers never seem to understand either because they are not putting other peoples lives on the line if they come into work sick.

Pretty sure there is a graph somewhere they compares lack of sleep with alcohol in terms of concentration levels will try and find it later.

I don’t get sick

adam277:
Headaches, toothaches, earaches and other similar ailments are not really a big deal in an office or warehouse environment. When your behind the wheel of a 44t truck though its a different story.
I’ve driven my truck sick but it does feel a bit dodgy. For me I can tell I am not concentrating as much and I know my reactions are not what they should be.
Managers never seem to understand either because they are not putting other peoples lives on the line if they come into work sick.

Pretty sure there is a graph somewhere they compares lack of sleep with alcohol in terms of concentration levels will try and find it later.

Depend from sickness but most sickness for lorry drivers more easy sick and drive that work with same sickness at warehouse or factory.

I think it depends on the individual if you can drive and happily say that you are not Impared in anyway then go for it as there’s nothing worse than sitting at home feeling ill, but if your involved in an accident because you didn’t see the car pulling out because you had a blinding head ache or your eyes were streaming with the flu it’s your licence and you have to live with it. Only you know if you are fit to work.

I don’t do sick days, and being a social kind of person I take my coughs sneezes, lurgy etc to work and share them, but as a driver there’s not much chance of that happening

peirre:
I don’t do sick days, and being a social kind of person I take my coughs sneezes, lurgy etc to work and share them, but as a driver there’s not much chance of that happening

So if you diarrhea you would just pull over every 10 mins?
Also if you haven’t slept for lets say 3 days would you still come in to work?

This is interesting topic that I don’t see mentioned. ARE WE liable for criminal prosecution if we go to work sick and have an accident?

adam277:

peirre:

So if you diarrhea you would just pull over every 10 mins?
Also if you haven’t slept for lets say 3 days would you still come in to work?

This is interesting topic that I don’t see mentioned. ARE WE liable for criminal prosecution if we go to work sick and have an accident?

Yes. Failure to take reasonable care of yourself and others. If you are driving in a condition that you do not feel fit to do so why would you expect anything else?

commonrail:
I don’t get sick

Tempting fate there buddy :wink: :wink:

I know.
Wish I had’nt said anything,now.

When ive had enough , sick is my get out card

AndrewG:

Vid:

Did you still drive?

No chance! Minor inconvenience for the granddaughter, but very unpleasant in your 50s, stayed indoors for 2 weeks and only just recovered in time for our holiday.

Got measles in France, had no trouble getting a cabin on my own from Caen back to Pompey :laughing: :laughing:

A few months ago, covering holidays for a company I had the conversation with the owner about drivers going sick. I said unless I couldnt physically get in the truck I’ve always gone in. In truth I’ve never been off sick. Fast forward to a few weeks later and I had a terrible nights sleep. Bad back pain and waterworks didnt feel right. But being the hero I set off at 4am. just gone 7am on the M60 near Bolton I got the shakes and pulled over feeling really really bad. Collapsed on side of motorway and took a ride in an ambulance to Bolton general. Turns out I had a kidney infection that was starting sepsis off! I was not far from the intended drop. I was going to get there tell the owner i felt bad and was going to have a few hours sleep to see if I felt better. The hospital told me had I done that I could have been a goner! sobering thought!