Going sick as a truck driver

It has always been easier to observe personal health, and take sickies when needed - when you know you’re not going to get docked.

If you will get docked though? - That adds further to any physical ailment by heaping the mental stress on top of it as well.
Not good.

…Then there’s the Remainer/Leftie argument that says “Leaving the EU will mean a loss of currently enshrined workers rights”.

Enshrined Rights? Like what exactly?
Sick pay? - When being paid it is “Discretionary” which amounts to “managers favourites only”…
Paid holidays? - When you find you cannot get a fortnight block of holiday anywhere around a school holiday…
Bank holidays off by default? - When all you get for being forced to work one - is a worthless day off in lieu…
Minimum wages? - When if you spend 95% of your driving time in the UK - but don’t get it because it’s convenient to the EU authorities to let EU truckers come over here for crappy EE pay, and whitewash over NMW “Rights” that these drivers should get…

…Then to top it all off - anything seriously wrong with you, and instead of a year off sick on full pay - it’s “instant loss of licence, so you’d best keep stumn laddie”
…Then people wonder why there’s so much trucker harm out there these days… :frowning:

Didn’t think of that. Office worker has serious medical condition and gets sick pay and support. Same thing happenes to a truck driver he loses his licence and job.
Total Bs. Surely there should be something in place to protect drivers from loss of earnings because the current system just encourages drivers to keep quiet.

I absolutely can’t stand those workplace martyrs that insist on dragging themselves in as if they’re soldiers holding up the western front single handily. You know the ones. The little snivelling attention seekers. They sit around telling everybody me they’ve the flu/galloping Nile fever but [insert bushit reason] they had to come in.

They’re the ones who then brag they’re never off sick! Er, great thanks for that donation to the workplace, nob heads. :smiley:

adam277:
Had my first sick day in a long time today.
I couldn’t get any sleep due to cramps.

When I was a fork lift driver/warehouse I would just go to work anyway. Heck as a forklift driver I could often go a few days without sleep. It also didn’t matter if in the warehouse because I just dossed about and did things slower.
As a truck driver it is slightly different I think. I could of gone to work easily but doubt my reactions would of been as good. I defiantly wouldn’t of been as focused. As a warehouse drone as long as I could walk and breathe I’d go to work.

Do you think as a truck driver you need to be more strict with yourself as to if your fit to work or not?

It’s ok for you daymen but a complete different ball game for a tramper.
In my case most of my tramping life (up until 8 yrs ago) I was an outbased tramper, firstly 300 miles away in Colchester and later on worse still… my firms were based in other countries.
So it was a double whammy in my case, I was either ill while already away miles away from home, or if ill at home I could not even phone in sick at start of a week, as my truck was outside my house loaded.

So many times I had no choice I have had to work while ill, ok it was not on many occasions, but that was the case.

I think the worse case was one day in Ireland, I was totally wrecked, I pulled into where I was delivering and told the lads I was ill and going to lie down.
If it had been one of those UK rdc holes where you aint allowed to even sit in your cab :unamused: , they would not be getting their stuff, as there was no way I could (or would) be sat in some cold grubby room on a plastic chair, but luckily these lads were more down to earth.

I got tipped, pulled out and luckily I found I was due to ship back empty and not booked on the boat until night, how ■■■■ relieved was I.
So it was pull out, curtains drawn, night heater on full and into bed feeling crap for rest of day.
So point I’m making as a tramper sometimes you have no choice.

robroy:

adam277:
Had my first sick day in a long time today.
I couldn’t get any sleep due to cramps.

When I was a fork lift driver/warehouse I would just go to work anyway. Heck as a forklift driver I could often go a few days without sleep. It also didn’t matter if in the warehouse because I just dossed about and did things slower.
As a truck driver it is slightly different I think. I could of gone to work easily but doubt my reactions would of been as good. I defiantly wouldn’t of been as focused. As a warehouse drone as long as I could walk and breathe I’d go to work.

Do you think as a truck driver you need to be more strict with yourself as to if your fit to work or not?

It’s ok for you daymen but a complete different ball game for a tramper.
In my case most of my tramping life (up until 8 yrs ago) I was an outbased tramper, firstly 300 miles away in Colchester and later on worse still… my firms were based in other countries.
So it was a double whammy in my case, I was either ill while already away miles away from home, or if ill at home I could not even phone in sick at start of a week, as my truck was outside my house loaded.

So many times I had no choice I have had to work while ill, ok it was not on many occasions, but that was the case.

I think the worse case was one day in Ireland, I was totally wrecked, I pulled into where I was delivering and told the lads I was ill and going to lie down.
If it had been one of those UK rdc holes where you aint allowed to even sit in your cab :unamused: , they would not be getting their stuff, as there was no way I could (or would) be sat in some cold grubby room on a plastic chair, but luckily these lads were more down to earth.

I got tipped, pulled out and luckily I found I was due to ship back empty and not booked on the boat until night, how [zb] relieved was I.
So it was pull out, curtains drawn, night heater on full and into bed feeling crap for rest of day.
So point I’m making as a tramper sometimes you have no choice.

Give over rob , I tramp , bloody hell it even says 6 simple steps :angry: :laughing: