Getting closer to minimum wage

None of them truly represent the people, career politicians are only in it for themselves and their paymasters, there’s nobody there with any passion to make a change for the better for the voters. I’ve said it many times before, the only way to make a difference is to abstain from voting full stop, none of them represent us, we just pick the best out of a bad bunch. If we showed our feelings about them by not voting, what would they do? Of course it would have to be a complete boycott by the population to work, as any votes cast would have a huge impact on the results.

I saw a meme about the wages situation a while back, it was along the lines of, you need nice clothes, a nice car, have to live in the right area to get a decent job, then spend all the money you earn trying to impress people you don’t like, just to keep that job and pay for all the stuff you need to get the job. Something like that.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

newmercman:
That’s an interesting point eagerbeaver, back in the day a lorry driver would live in a council house/flat and drive a car a few steps away from an mot failure, have no credit cards and have a fortnight on the Isle of Wight for the family holidays.

Blimey during the 1980’s I graduated from the usual 3 weeks on the continent with the 6 year old 3.0 Litre BMW on my class 2 council wages.To 5 year old Jag XJ12 and 4 weeks touring in the States with a Crown Vic rental using Holiday Inns and Hiltons and almost a week on the QE2 getting there or back out of my class 1 night trunking wage either cash or settled the credit card at the end of the month.Maybe Maggie wasn’t all bad. :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :smiley:

newmercman:
None of them truly represent the people, career politicians are only in it for themselves and their paymasters, there’s nobody there with any passion to make a change for the better for the voters. I’ve said it many times before, the only way to make a difference is to abstain from voting full stop, none of them represent us, we just pick the best out of a bad bunch. If we showed our feelings about them by not voting, what would they do? Of course it would have to be a complete boycott by the population to work, as any votes cast would have a huge impact on the results.

I saw a meme about the wages situation a while back, it was along the lines of, you need nice clothes, a nice car, have to live in the right area to get a decent job, then spend all the money you earn trying to impress people you don’t like, just to keep that job and pay for all the stuff you need to get the job. Something like that.

You must not abstain from voting .That will just get us a Labour government .That is bad terrible advice .Most fresh immigrants vote labour …play politicians like they play us .Get the best of a cack bunch of gravy train a holes…For now at least …

newmercman:

Agreed. A very strange existence in todays ’ modern Britain '.

An obsession with all things material and a love of showing off. Rather bizarrely the showing off is mainly conducted through social media, and the people all end up lying and bullshining each other in order to try and impress the most anyway :laughing:

Yet this ’ audience ’ is mainly made up of complete strangers, who themselves are fabricating or exaggerating events! :open_mouth: Completely insane really, and to top it off, people then go and work all the hours God sends for peanuts in order to fund this façade.

A desperation to fit in and be accepted. When I am old I would like to look back on my life and believe that I did what was right for me and not what everyone else thought that I ’ should have done '.

Beetlejuice:

newmercman:

You must not abstain from voting .That will just get us a Labour government .That is bad terrible advice .Most fresh immigrants vote labour …play politicians like they play us .Get the best of a cack bunch of gravy train a holes…For now at least …

I get that, it would have to be a total boycott, as I said, one single vote could have a huge impact on the results otherwise.

Carryfast:

newmercman:
That’s an interesting point eagerbeaver, back in the day a lorry driver would live in a council house/flat and drive a car a few steps away from an mot failure, have no credit cards and have a fortnight on the Isle of Wight for the family holidays.

Blimey during the 1980’s I graduated from the usual 3 weeks on the continent with the 6 year old 3.0 Litre BMW on my class 2 council wages.To 5 year old Jag XJ12 and 4 weeks touring in the States with a Crown Vic rental using Holiday Inns and Hiltons and almost a week on the QE2 getting there or back out of my class 1 night trunking wage either cash or settled the credit card at the end of the month.Maybe Maggie wasn’t all bad. :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :smiley:

Council wages were a little better than general haulage rates, same for night trunking, at least they were back then. Oh and what about housing costs, you never mentioned those, didn’t you live at home with your parents?

newmercman:

Beetlejuice:

newmercman:

I get that, it would have to be a total boycott, as I said, one single vote could have a huge impact on the results otherwise.

We would never get a total boycott ,Just like drivers are devided and conquered …voters are played by all these self serving gravy train twunts …
Far to many brits think abstinance is key .that is a woefully wrong choice for us Brits hense the bloody huge mess we are now in…it’s far better to play these twunts at there own game .
Make the vote you feel is right for you .For me it is better the devil we know at the minute .Labour is not for me .And never ever will be while Corbyn, Abbott and ■■■■■■ lammy & khan are in that party .Its not a Labour party now …Not for years .

eagerbeaver:

newmercman:

An obsession with all things material and a love of showing off. Rather bizarrely the showing off is mainly conducted through social media, and the people all end up lying and bullshining each other in order to try and impress the most anyway [emoji38]

Yet this ’ audience ’ is mainly made up of complete strangers, who themselves are fabricating or exaggerating events! :open_mouth: Completely insane really, and to top it off, people then go and work all the hours God sends for peanuts in order to fund this façade.

A desperation to fit in and be accepted. When I am old I would like to look back on my life and believe that I did what was right for me and not what everyone else thought that I ’ should have done '.

Social media has had a massive effect on the way we live, not so much in my case as I’m usually in the sin bin and people have to guess what I’m having for me tea, but it does have a lot of look at me stuff on it, if you’ve been to Tenerife, someone will have been to Elevenerife, I don’t get involved in any of that nonsense, I do post food related stuff, but a lot of my audience are lorry drivers in Canada and I put up a photo of a nice curry and tag myself in the restaurant purely to wind them up as they will be nowhere near a curry house, I usually get called rude names because of this and that’s the point of social media as I see it, having a laugh with your mates, you don’t have to put every little thing on it and you look like a willy if you use it to post how fantastic you are and how much overpriced crap you’ve bought purely to show it off on Facebook.

The hypocrisy of it all is ridiculous, we moan we don’t earn enough, when really what we are doing is spending too much, to emphasize that point, we are all using machines to participate in this discussion that cost hundreds of pounds and the vast majority of us will have recently upgraded them just to have the latest and greatest device, not because the previous one didn’t work anymore.

All 1 upmanship. Showing off. People seriously don’t get it.
. To me a cars a car . A phones a phone a tv is a tv.
All do same job. People always ask me how can I afford exotic holidays . Run a car and a bike .Live a decent lifestyle etc. They don’t get it. They go out spend over grand on a top range tv because it’s super duper hd. And 60 odd inches. Probably spend 50 a month on the latest i phone. 100 month on sky and probably dont even watch half the channles. Then moan I’m skint cant afford a holiday how do you cope.

I’m closer to a telegram from the queen than the maternity ward and I bought my first ever brand new car (a pick up actually) in 2014, I ran a few lorries of my own and did ok before I sold up and came to Canada, but I was never in a position to buy a new car and be able to justify it, even though I was making quite a bit more than lorry driver wages, eventually at least, it was a long hard road to get to that point though. A few of my drivers had new cars though and even though i paid them well, I could never work out how they managed it, I was never in that position when I picked up a wage.

You only have to look through the what do you drive thread to see how things have changed, there’s some very nice motors in there and I’m sure that if you studied it carefully there’s more than a few that have posted up replacement cars as they’ve traded up. Maybe lorry driving isn’t as badly paid as we think…

newmercman:

Carryfast:

newmercman:

Council wages were a little better than general haulage rates, same for night trunking, at least they were back then. Oh and what about housing costs, you never mentioned those, didn’t you live at home with your parents?

The council job was an underpaid nightmare.I started there in 1980 and over night went from £110 per week + overtime in my redundant works/test driving job to around £80 per week including overtime although not so much petrol because it was much closer to home.It was still less than £100 per week when I left in 1985 and immediately went up to around £175 per week on night trunking.

As for housing costs you’re right but they were always going to be a two wage earner liability in this area and I lost out on the 4 bedroom semi next door,which the owner sold cheap for around £45,000 for a quick sale so as not to lose the deal on a better place he’d found,because my council wages wouldn’t get close at 3 x my salary even with a £12,000 deposit.The lucky buyer sold it less than two years later for around £80,000. :open_mouth: :frowning:

While I still had to pay a reasonable amount to my parents out of my take home after single person tax ( another rip off ).So thought might as well live well on what was left and make the best of it.But pre limiter direct depot to depot night trunking in the day was certainly an attractive job with an unbelievable effective hourly rate taking into account job and finish agreements.I could often go a whole month without exceeding 7-8 hours in a shift. :smiley: :wink:

newmercman:

I’ve voted twice in my life. The first time was 1987 (I think!)when my constituency had a candidate from a party I was happy to vote for and still would be if a candidate was available. The second time was the EU referendum. I refuse to legitimise the Old Boys club by sticking my cross against any of their names.

Beetlejuice:

newmercman:

You must not continue to vote. That will just get us a Con/Dem/Lib/Lab government. That is bad terrible advice. Cons want more immigrants as cheap labour, Labour want more immigrants because they think that increases their chances of staying in power and the Lib Dems just believe in the need for a great big melting pot where we all love one another…one day,maybe. They’re all ■■■■■■■■■■

TiredAndEmotional:
Cons want more immigrants as cheap labour, Labour want more immigrants because they think that increases their chances of staying in power and the Lib Dems just believe in the need for a great big melting pot where we all love one another…one day,maybe. They’re all [zb].

^ This.

eagerbeaver:

newmercman:

An obsession with all things material and a love of showing off. Rather bizarrely the showing off is mainly conducted through social media, and the people all end up lying and bullshining each other in order to try and impress the most anyway :laughing:

It’s modern day slavery although largely self inflicted.

I said that when Bliar got in, tons of new government jobs that would ensure votes for Labour in order for the people to keep their job. Same with the mass immigration, they’re likely to vote for the same lot that allowed them here.

I choose not to vote as none of them have my best interests at heart. No matter which lot get in, taxes and the cost of living go up, standard of living and public services go down. It’s a farce tbh.

robroy:
Tbh mate I don’t know,.as there is no longer any party that represents me as a ‘‘working bloke’’.
Labour who were originally there just for that, have completely lost their way… and their reason to be.

What sorts of policies would you expect Labour to have as one that represents the “working bloke”?

newmercman:
None of them truly represent the people, career politicians are only in it for themselves and their paymasters, there’s nobody there with any passion to make a change for the better for the voters.

What sort of background would you expect the ideal politician to have?

And what would they have to do to show passion? For example, you can call Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness many things, but nobody I think would say they were not passionate about their respective (and diametrically opposed) causes.

Beetlejuice:

“Fresh immigrants” don’t have any right to vote - even people who have been here 50 years don’t get to vote in national elections unless they are naturalised.

TiredAndEmotional:
Labour want more immigrants because they think that increases their chances of staying in power

How exactly does that work when immigration is (and has been since the 1960s) one of the biggest factors that alienates the majority of the electorate from a party perceived to be tolerating or encouraging it?