Minimum wage increase 2022

So minimum wage is apparently going to rise to £9.50/hr from April 2022 to be announced in this weeks budget according to the BBC. Might be a useful bargaining tool for those still working at places paying £10/hr or less.

Is that the living wage for the over 23s? Heard some other figures & the apprenticeship rate, if memory serves, was less than fiver per hour.

bbc.co.uk/news/business-59038076

Edit to add link.

Conor:
So minimum wage is apparently going to rise to £9.50/hr from April 2022 to be announced in this weeks budget according to the BBC. Might be a useful bargaining tool for those still working at places paying £10/hr or less.

Particularly one local company that put its rate up from £9 hour to a whopping £9.20 hour to try to attract class two drivers during this ‘driver shortage’…

Corr, Turners won’t be happy having to put their wages up like that

It also outs pressure on those above it as I cant see many 6.6% pay rises getting thrown about in a majority of sectors, but they’ll have to in an attempt to retain staff.

My Mrs works in a nursery managing a room. From my perspective it’s a horrendously pressures with loads of red tape and performance indicators. She’s essentially prepping the kids in her age group with the skills to actually go to proper school for the next academic year. So when little Johnny has the social skills to share and now throw ■■■ at Stephanie, that’s the kind of thing, even moreso at the current time time kids haven’t really mixed with other kids and built up skills like that.

Being a manager will put her on 50p/hour more than a low level unqualified member of staff who can just switch off at the end of their shift, doesn’t feel compelled to putting endless hours at home because “there’s no time to do if at work” - unpaid hours too - so if the reward isn’t there fir doing all that, why not drop a bit of money but lose a heck load more hassle and responsibility.

I mentioned it to her last night but she views it as she’s doing something for the kids which she enjoys but she did also say that it’s not exactly inspiring looking at those “below” her if you like catching up with her in terms of pay.

Yes,this is the problem when the government distorts wages,its those earning slightly more than the minimum wage who end up being not rewarded enough for their contribution.
HGV driving is difficult but ,it has to be admitted,a lot of jobs are,they are full of red tape.You cant do this,you cant do that.I have friends and relatives working in school and nursuries and it is incredibly difficult these days

toonsy:
I mentioned it to her last night but she views it as she’s doing something for the kids which she enjoys but she did also say that it’s not exactly inspiring looking at those “below” her if you like catching up with her in terms of pay.

Well it does sound like a meaningful thing to be doing, something you get a feeling of accomplishment from or whatever. Truck driving is meh, drive from A to B, maybe C and D, then home. Next day same thing. Unless you’re ‘‘touring’’ Europe and fighting off migrants trying to sneak onto your bunk bed etc.; there may be some excitement in that, otherwise it’s the end of the week that matters (or the month, depending how one gets paid) so ££ is most most MOST likely to be the determining factor for 99% of drivers.

ETS:

toonsy:

Well it does sound like a meaningful thing to be doing, something you get a feeling of accomplishment from or whatever. Truck driving is meh, drive from A to B, maybe C and D, then home. Next day same thing. Unless you’re ‘‘touring’’ Europe and fighting off migrants trying to sneak onto your bunk bed etc.; there may be some excitement in that, otherwise it’s the end of the week that matters (or the month, depending how one gets paid) so ££ is most most MOST likely to be the determining factor for 99% of drivers.

Or driving artics with a moffet on the rear collecting live chickens from farms at night - I experienced plenty of adrenaline on that job. Those chicken sheds are often located in the most out of the way places & if you met your work colleague coming the other way…
I’ve also experienced more people inside the back of my trailer from doing regular muti-drop around Liverpool than I ever did from continental work.
There certainly was (is?) excitement in UK driving (most of which I would not mention on a public forum) but you have to get away from the big firms to experience the best of it.
Maybe things are too tightly restricted out there now to be like it was, but I’ve certainly got more stories in me from working in trucking than than the average worker.

“The Differential - is maintained”.

The big losers from all this - will be those salaried full timers that currently earn around £1ph over the minimum wage.

ScaniaUltimate:
Or driving artics with a moffet on the rear collecting live chickens from farms at night -

How’s that work? You lure them with grains sprinkled over the forks then while they’re busy eating you sneakily lift them up and onto the trailer where they follow another cleverly planted trail of grains towards the rear dark corners?

ETS:

ScaniaUltimate:
Or driving artics with a moffet on the rear collecting live chickens from farms at night -

How’s that work? You lure them with grains sprinkled over the forks then while they’re busy eating you sneakily lift them up and onto the trailer where they follow another cleverly planted trail of grains towards the rear dark corners?

You must have done it too to know that!
Okay, I could have used better punctuation…
“Or driving artics, with a moffet on the rear, collecting live chickens from farms at night.” :slight_smile: