Full-sized sleeper LV-cabbed ERFs

[zb]
anorak:
Here’s a 5MW, which clearly has flat glass:
flickrhivemind.net/blackmagic.cg … 6407358987
Maybe it was only LHD 5MWs that had curved glass?

That’s 4MW, isn’t it? Robert

This spec sheet for a 3MW shows curved glass in the side elevation diagram. Robert

robert1952:
That’s 4MW, isn’t it? Robert

Big lamps make it a 6MW, unless it’s an oddball/parts-bin special. The point is, it has flat 'screens. The only ones with curved glass I can recall are LHD. I reckon the less refined RHD markets made do with flat glass (maybe they could not tell the difference LOL), while Europe got curved glass.

Edit- these LHD 3MWs seem to have curved glass:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=109628&start=60
The picture below was posted by the Limburg contingent. I assume the vehicle was one of the original belgium/Netherlands exports, making it a 3MW. It appears to have curved glass.

Scan 5MW-cab.jpg

Flat glass:

LHD but exported to Jordan, according to the script with the original posting of the picture. Europe= curved glass.

That would make some sense, Anorak (Europe = curved) because it was the upgraded Euro-spec version that had the refinements as requested by the low countries in the early '70s. I’ll look up the article. robert

I’ve found the reference to the Belgian testers complaining about the leaking windscreens etc in an article I posted on the LHD 5MW thread. ERF upgraded the cab as a result. Here’s the link:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=109628&hilit=lhd+erf+5mws&start=150

Robert

This is cropped off the Wobbe Reitsma article posted elsewhere on the forum:

untitled.JPG
The caption said it was the first MW in Belgium. It looks like it has curved glass to me, but it is difficult to tell. I am starting to think that there were three different 'screens- flat like the Jordan one, curved at the bottom only and curved all the way up, like the Mack and Foden.

[zb]
anorak:
This is cropped off the Wobbe Reitsma article posted elsewhere on the forum:
The caption said it was the first MW in Belgium. It looks like it has curved glass to me, but it is difficult to tell. I am starting to think that there were three different 'screens- flat like the Jordan one, curved at the bottom only and curved all the way up, like the Mack and Foden.

Perhaps the set back cabs (4MW & 6MW) had a different arrangement from the set forward ones. robert

Only six LV-cabbed Chinese-sixes were made by ERF. This one (originally Lowe of Paddock Wood) has been featured on this thread before but I saw it this weekend at the Llandudno show. It has been newly re-restored to a very high standard. It still has its David Brown 'box, but the ■■■■■■■ 150 has been replaced by a never-used ■■■■■■■ 250. In this picture it has but 100 miles on the clock engine-wise! Robert

DSCF5920.JPG

DSCF5934.JPG

robert1952:
Only six LV-cabbed Chinese-sixes were made by ERF…

Where have you got that number from Robert? ERF built a good number of 'Chinese-Six" LV’s - if you are specifically talking about these units, then the figure is in the hundred plus region. Sutton’s of St Helens ran a sizeable number, as did Air Products, Lowe’s and others. The number surviving in preservation is around six that I know of, but this is the only one I can recall that survives with the full sleeper cab.

ERF built five ‘Rear-Steer’ LV tractor units around 1968, one of which was shown at Earls Court in that year and all of which went out to be assessed in large fleets like JW Barrow. They did not enter production, and none of these are known to survive. Perhaps that is where the confusion arises?.

Re the curved / flat glass in the MW cabs, there were only two variations, and either could be specified. The standard was flat screens, which incidentally are identical to the Scammell cab, along with the aperture and rubbers. These were the normal fitment for export territories presumably because they were cheap to source and easy to replace locally. The curved screens have a different aperture that is welded into a modified cab frame, these screens etc are identical to the Foden S40 cab.

ERF:

robert1952:
Only six LV-cabbed Chinese-sixes were made by ERF…

Where have you got that number from Robert? ERF built a good number of 'Chinese-Six" LV’s - if you are specifically talking about these units, then the figure is in the hundred plus region. Sutton’s of St Helens ran a sizeable number, as did Air Products, Lowe’s and others. The number surviving in preservation is around six that I know of, but this is the only one I can recall that survives with the full sleeper cab.

ERF built five ‘Rear-Steer’ LV tractor units around 1968, one of which was shown at Earls Court in that year and all of which went out to be assessed in large fleets like JW Barrow. They did not enter production, and none of these are known to survive. Perhaps that is where the confusion arises?.

I got it from a brief discussion with the owner. Perhaps I misunderstood. Cheers, robert

Some well-informed doubt about whether the Lowe LVs were built as sleeper cabs has been posted on another thread. Apparently, they had crew cabs and were a cancelled order for another company. Interesting stuff! Here’s the link:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=137117&p=2162596#p2162596

Robert

Hello Robert, The lowes LV,s were built as a 4 seater cab for municiple then they were cancelled and thats how lowes came by them. So not built as sleeper.The bunk you see is the back of the seat lifted and hooked up by chains, not strong enough to sleep on. You could sleep on back seat but very narrow due to length of bonnet, ( not normal LV) . I purchased PKR 668G close on ten years ago off Colin Bridge (RIP) from near Paddock wood. Soon after i took to Sandbach festival and spoke to Peter Foden & 2 of the original lads that worked on the five on line two,Had some interesting history about them. Hope that helps
Nev Peate

oxo3:
Hello Robert, The lowes LV,s were built as a 4 seater cab for municiple then they were cancelled and thats how lowes came by them. So not built as sleeper.The bunk you see is the back of the seat lifted and hooked up by chains, not strong enough to sleep on. You could sleep on back seat but very narrow due to length of bonnet, ( not normal LV) . I purchased PKR 668G close on ten years ago off Colin Bridge (RIP) from near Paddock wood. Soon after i took to Sandbach festival and spoke to Peter Foden & 2 of the original lads that worked on the five on line two,Had some interesting history about them. Hope that helps
Nev Peate

Yes, it helps a lot! It would seem that the only ‘real’ LV sleepers would have been the odd ones specially adapted for Middle-East work, the A-series one Eric Vick had and one or two others on this thread. We’re making some progress here. Robert

ERF:
Re the curved / flat glass in the MW cabs, there were only two variations, and either could be specified. The standard was flat screens, which incidentally are identical to the Scammell cab, along with the aperture and rubbers. These were the normal fitment for export territories presumably because they were cheap to source and easy to replace locally. The curved screens have a different aperture that is welded into a modified cab frame, these screens etc are identical to the Foden S40 cab.

A vital piece of information (following the earlier discussion): thank you! robert

One for the melting pot. Robert

robert1952:
One for the melting pot. Robert

RHD, but LHD wipers. Explain that!