British Heritage ERF

Another of the traditional British commercial vehicle manufacturers that still exists as part of a foreign company.

after 16 attempts they finally got it right and this was the 1st production chassis

and was the first of an extremely long line of successful models that were exported all over the world. Many of the ERF models continued in production for many years with only minimal changes to the basic design as can be, others such as the LV series went through a freat number of changes of cab design with out changing the model name.

1934 ERF artic

1934 ERF rigid 4 wheeler

and as a tipper

1935 ERF C 16-6 6 wheeler rigid

1937 ERF C 15 flat

1938 ERF cab interior

1940 ERF C 15 in South Africa

War time ERF LV

1953 ERF artic

1953 ERF Removals pantechnicon

1958 ERF KV rigid what is exceptional about this foto is that it was taken in 1977 and there were still several examples of this model plying their trade throughout the United Kingdom

1958 ERF KV artic

1959 ERF 66 TS 8 wheeler

and this 66 TS was sold to South Africa

Like many other companies at the time ERF also converted their truck chassis to be used as bus chassis and this example went to what was at the time Rhodesia

ERF KV with bonnet called the Sabrina because the bulging bonnet apparently resembled the front chest development of a film star who was quite popular at the time

The same model was also available as an artic and was exported to places such as Orange Free State where this foto was taken

1972 ERF with a cab from the company motor panels which was at the time offered by ERF as an alternative to their own cab.

ERF A series drawbar

ERF B series tractor unit

ERF B Series cab interior

Long running LV series rigid with glass fibre cab

ERF LV 8 wheeler note the loading/unloading method of brick by brick

ERF also produced what was known as the European tractor which only had a very limited success

I reckon those motor panneled cab ones looked tidy. I love the A series, and was offered one recently for 500 quid. Trouble is, i aint got nowhere to leave it long term (which it would need to be free as well) Nice pics Paul!

Now THERES a proper truck…

I still remember my first regular truck, an old ‘b’ series!

YAV 355T…

Sunroof leaked, I had to remember to keep my bedding tucked away from the edge of the mattress, or iI would wake up in a wet bed!

Had to stuff a pair of socks into the heater outllet under the seat, or I would get burnt ankles!
Speaking of the heater, had to regularrly clean the soot off the inside of the windscreen, as the heater unit used to draw it air in under the cab, under where the seats were, right next to where the blow was on the exhaust. Used to ■■■■ fumes and soot through the heater, and blow them onto the screen!

Had the obligitory Eminox fitted, and a 14 litre ‘big cam’ rated at 290, going on 450! Had been ‘breathed on’ a little by a ■■■■■■■ fanatic, used to out-pull 14 litre Scanias up every hill! And what a lovely sound from that exhaust! :slight_smile:

First motor I took over the water was an ERF too, E14, 365.
Remember romping down the M2, heading for Ransgate, trying to make the 16.15 Sally. Gas mark 9, doing about 80MPH :blush: (ahem, sorry ocifer!). Passing some Bowkers trucks, who seeing an ERF with a tilt on the back, commemted on the fact that I was probably just dropping the trailer at the docks. Soon corrected them on that! Was dead proud of the fact that I was doing the continent then!
Broke down in Holland once, the guys at the DAF garage looked at it as it had just arrived from mars!

Is that Sir Cristopher Cockerill (with pipe) stood on that hovercraft in the 1958 KV artic picture?

Jules

SimonJ:
Had to stuff a pair of socks into the heater outllet under the seat, or I would get burnt ankles!

I remember them well! :laughing: I dont know which was worst, they type, or the one where the heater was packed up completely!

Just a quick question (from a Yank who’s never actually seen one…): Are ERF and Foden both made by the same manufacturer now? Is one a “premium” model?

Are ERF and Foden both made by the same manufacturer now? Is one a “premium” model?

Alex,
Foden were a manufacturer of Steam Lorries who went onto building oil burners.
E.R. Foden’s truck history goes back to 1898 when he designed the first steam wagon (on steel tyre wheels) which had a very successful run up until 1913. Despite the economic strife of the '30s. E.R. Foden made a comeback and formed a company that flourished as many others fell casualty. With the help of his son Dennis and two former colleagues, E.R.Foden designed and built the very first E.R.F diesel lorry. The company was effectively three men and a boy. Late in 1933 the ‘E.R.Foden & Son Diesel’ made its debut at the Olympia motor show.

The Foden brothers made steam powered lorries during the 1910s and 1920s. Edwin Robert Foden split to form his own company ERF to manufacture diesel trucks. Eventually the original firm had to follow suit - in 1931 - with the diesel type R.

ERF have a premium model, it is called a MAN :stuck_out_tongue:
Foden also have a premium model called a DAF (Paccar)

Clear as mud eh?

Wheel Nut:
Edwin Robert Foden split to form his own company ERF to manufacture diesel trucks. Eventually the original firm had to follow suit - in 1931 - with the diesel type R.

That would be Edwin Richard Foden Wheel Nut. I won a black and white 5" portable TV from Trucking International mag in about 1985/86 by answering the question what do the initials ERF stand for? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: There were 3 TV prizes and the parcels firm delivered all 3 to my house by mistake, me being the honest person I am contacted the magazine and they had the other two collected and delivered to the drivers who had one them.

Boots yes it is Sir Christopher :laughing:

The picture of the B-series interior takes me back…

That was the first vehicle I ever drove (even before a car). OKB280S - ex-H&R Ainscough tractor, 240 Gardner & Fuller Roadranger.

My favourites lately have been these later models from the fleet of Turners from Hoole near Preston.

First off we have Graeme Turner’s last wagon which is still on the fleet, pictured at Gaydon in June 2003.

(the grease on the Fifth-wheel says ERF EC11)

Moving on a year, and we have Graeme’s latest motor - An ECX Olympic Sovereign with a ■■■■■■■ N14-525 - nice progression from the EC11-405 Olympic.

A bystander muttered “the wheel covers look great when they’re cleaned up for the shows don’t they?” I cautiously explained that Turners have them looking like that on the road as well - even the trailers have chrome wheel embellishers. He walked away shaking his head in disbelief…