Erf a series jennings sleepers

Hiya… someone wants a look inside a jennings sleeper well here it is. you need to put in the search box what you
would like to see.the sleeper belongs to a pal of mine, he has a collection of older trucks.there was 2 lengths of cushon
about 12 inches wide. i had a board at right angles on mine. on the front piece of cushon i had a corner cut out so i could
run with the bed made up all the time.the passenger seat came apart, with the back rest gone the bed was across the seat.
you had to sleep with your feet behind the drivers seat where the cushon was narrower because i had a bostron seat.
(how posh was that)
Cheers John

GAZ70:

TwelveSpeed:
[
the seats have to be pulled forward so the bunk dropped down?
hiya …no the backs pulled off the seats, it was 2 round bars welded into the backrest tubes, they located into the base tubes just above the bends.in the photo where the curtain is been lifted there was a piece of white plastic that covered the fibre glass that finished the job off better, this always split even on the daycab
john

3300John:
Hiya… someone wants a look inside a jennings sleeper well here it is. you need to put in the search box what you
would like to see.the sleeper belongs to a pal of mine, he has a collection of older trucks.there was 2 lengths of cushon
about 12 inches wide. i had a board at right angles on mine. on the front piece of cushon i had a corner cut out so i could
run with the bed made up all the time.the passenger seat came apart, with the back rest gone the bed was across the seat.
you had to sleep with your feet behind the drivers seat where the cushon was narrower because i had a bostron seat.
(how posh was that)
Cheers John

You mention Bostrom seats John,well I had all our Atkis and ERF’s fitted with Bostroms as the Chapman Superides were crap but Atkis acknowledged the fact and it was only on one occaision that ERF insisted we try a Chapman seat in an “A” series,but they couldn’t believe that the mechanism was knackered completely within 4 or 5 months of double shifting.The night man was 19 stone and ERF said the seats were tested with the equivalent weight of 26 stone they couldn’t believe it !!! They did acknowledge defeat and fit a new Bostrom.IIRC the “B” series was fitted with the Chapman seats but we allways specified the Bostrom drivers seat.Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

3300John:
(how posh was that)
Cheers John

You mention Bostrom seats John,well I had all our Atkis and ERF’s fitted with Bostroms as the Chapman Superides were crap but Atkis acknowledged the fact and it was only on one occaision that ERF insisted we try a Chapman seat in an “A” series,but they couldn’t believe that the mechanism was knackered completely within 4 or 5 months of double shifting.The night man was 19 stone and ERF said the seats were tested with the equivalent weight of 26 stone they couldn’t believe it !!! They did acknowledge defeat and fit a new Bostrom.IIRC the “B” series was fitted with the Chapman seats but we allways specified the Bostrom drivers seat.Cheers Dennis.

hiya dennis …i worked for j harrison bucknell s.o.t gordon was spot on with what luxury there was to have, radio’s bostrom seats
extra mirrors if you needed them. good bosses…give and take… no problems.
John

Bewick:

GAZ70:
has any one got any info or pics of the conversion by jennings that they did on the erf a series to add a sleeper :question:

Two shots of an ERF “A” series with Jennings conversion and one of two Atkinson Borderers we had in the fleet.

dennis did the a series belong to you :question:

Yes it sure did Gaz ! It was in the K.Fell & Co fleet when we bought the firm from it’s parent co,Davy & co Grange Ltd.That is the only shot I have of that particular motor which was about 2 years old at the time when we took it over in June 1976.IIRC I took this shot about a month of so after we took Fells over and as you can see by the state of the ERF it was nowwhere near the cleanliness of the Bewick fleet !! However,I sold that particular motor within the first 12 months IIRC.But you can see by the shot that it was a pukka Jennings conversion the same as the two Borderers we ran in the Bewick fleet.Cheers Dennis.

has any one got any info or pics of the conversion by jennings that they did on the erf a series to add a sleeper :question:

GAZ70:

Hiya …i’am going to smallwood show next weekend…Clive Allman will be there and most likley have his A series 240 erf
at the show do you just need photo’s or of any particular area
John

hi 3300 john,if you can get a shot of the interior,bed ,side window’s,and outside rear that will be very kind of you,cheers,this conversion has always stuck in my mind from been a kid when my grandad ran one,cheers . :slight_smile:

GAZ70:
hi 3300 john,if you can get a shot of the interior,bed ,side window’s,and outside rear that will be very kind of you,cheers,this conversion has always stuck in my mind from been a kid when my grandad ran one,cheers . :slight_smile:

Hiya GAZ70…for what the sleeper was worth it was quite good…you cut out the back panel at the cross member
wich is half way down the back panel… you save the corner inside finishers and the inside back panel…you then
cut just under the corner windows (about 2 inches). The pod comes in one piece.you get two triangle brackets that fit
on the lower part of the back panel and under the pod. you use all the old glass from the origanal panels.
the kit was the pod the two ally triangles the ply wood under the matress the matress in two pieces and two pieces
of white coated hardboard to fill inbetween the corner window and the back of the doors a piece of hardboard for the roof
lineing and a few strips of ally beading . I think the curtains was up to the customer. when my ERF come from S Jones
there was no back windows so we robbed a scrapper in the yard. hey bingo you had a nice cold window to put your
arm on in the night
At Harrisons in Milton there was a chap Ronny Gidman (rip) who did car repairs. he came and fitted 4 i think, i helped him a little and it was’nt rocket science to fit the pod it was having the balls to chop the hole first in a good■■? cab
I’ll ask Clive at the weekend how much they cost as Stuart Bebbington fitted about 6 for them.
Stuart worked at Jennings/ERFuntill they closed he then set up on his own making cabs for restoration jobs and fitting pods.
I’ll get a few piccies for you
John

thanks a lot mate,i live in northwich and as a kid lived very close to g cross & sons in lostock,he ran a mixed fleet which included a least two a series with the pod,these blokes were tramping all week,do you remember cross’s :question:

GAZ70:
thanks a lot mate,i live in northwich and as a kid lived very close to g cross & sons in lostock,he ran a mixed fleet which included a least two a series with the pod,these blokes were tramping all week,do you remember cross’s :question:

Hiya… got plenty of mates around there…i lived in Goostrey for 10 years before moving to Buckley, I worked
with Pete Groom at laybond.Pete and his brother was at crosses at one time. theres some good lads in that area
crs…elsbys…crosses …ensor…chadwicks…d&d…pochins…Direct salt… just to name a few.
John

Copy of DSCN1732.JPG
Copy of DSCN1734.JPG
Copy of DSCN1736.JPG
Copy of DSCN1738.JPG
Copy of DSCN1739.JPG
Copy of DSCN1740.JPG
Copy of DSCN1741.JPG
Copy of DSCN1743.JPG
Copy of DSCN1745.JPG
Copy of DSCN1747.JPG

GAZ70:

Two shots of an ERF “A” series with Jennings conversion and one of two Atkinson Borderers we had in the fleet.

you kept your word twelvespeed,thanks for the effort,i didn’t remember them been as wide as that,i know by today’s standards the kids will laugh at this,but many a night out was had in these conversions,i’m really pleased to see one again ta pal :smiley:

i forgot to ask you twelvespeed,is this motor one of allman’s from conlgeton :question: .

thanks for the pic’s bewick,did the drivers of these motors do much distance in them,plus use the said ‘sleepers’ :question:

GAZ70:
i forgot to ask you twelvespeed,is this motor one of allman’s from conlgeton :question: .

I had to reduce the pixel size before I was able to upload the pics but got there in the end. Yes, this is Allman’s brought out last year for the Cheshire Run after standing in the shed for 20+ years.
Copy of TFE 759L 018.JPG
Copy of Allmans fleet line up0010.jpg

Hiya GAZ70…i let you down on the photo’s as Jim Allman did’nt bring his A series to Smallwood.
I was talking to Clive most of the weekend and he said i could go to his yard and get some photo’s.
that would have been this weekend. I see Twelve speed has done the job for me and done it well.
Cheers lads
John

GAZ70:
thanks for the pic’s bewick,did the drivers of these motors do much distance in them,plus use the said ‘sleepers’ :question:

The two Atkis were some of the final ones built,I bought them in around Sept '75 and decided that as we were moving into the sleeper cab era I would have them both converted to “sleepers” by Jennings,who I considered were the best coachbuilders,at that time,to do the job!! These Atkis were both run in our distance fleet and the two drivers were quite happy with them,although I accept they weren’t ideal they were never-the-less a big step forward from the basic “day cab”!! The ERF was part of the K.Fell fleet we took over in June '76,this tractor didn’t remain in service very long but it was a Jennings conversation all the same! During '76 I had started introducing Volvo F88 sleepers and shortly after Scania 111’s and the odd Sed/Atk.The first couple of 111’s were day cabs which we fitted with drop down bunks,we also took deliery of some Sed/Atk day cabs which we also fitted with drop down bunks! Interesting days GAZ,brings back many memories,Cheers Dennis. The finnished article.