ERFs with various MV cabs in RHD & LHD

Following discussion about the MV cab on the 5MW thread I thought it might be prudent to try out the MV variations on a new thread. Shout if I get it wrong! :smiley: Robert

ERF with 3MV cab.

95c71c65-3834-48cf-b6b1-0782.jpg

7886838464_8b03cebd7e.jpg

This LHD unit appears to have a 2MV cab. Robert

4647401198_b52f35ee6f_z.jpg

MV with sleeper pod attached. robert

MV with sleeper pod.jpg
sleeper MV.jpeg

sleeper pod MV interior.jpg

1966 MV.jpg

ERF MV road train.jpg.bmp.jpg
MV 6x4.jpeg

This appears to be a 3MV cab…

5310285091_b4def289c5_z.jpg

That should at least get the ball rolling! Robert :slight_smile:

33ad2a32-828f-4cb1-953e-b136.jpg

6569363191_bbf0192033_n.jpg

g.jpg
hjjjjj.jpg

If you look in Dai Davies’s book, ERF the Inside Story, there are dozens of MV-cabbed export ERFs literally all over the world. Robert :wink:

These two pics were kindly posted by En-Tour-Age on the 4MW thread. Robert

Scan ERF-Export.jpg

Picture of the opened folder from 1965

Yes it’s a mine-field of cabs. Even the early LV cabs are divided into two. Then there were the later 7LV cabs that graced later tractive units including the A-series chassis. But that again was blurred, wasn’t it, by 7LV cabs being placed on non-A-series chassis or on rigid chassis (which were not A-series)… AAhhhh! Let’s be patient and listen to the variety of voices who remember. Robert

Regardless the fact (and with all respect towards the participants) that I don’t ‘trust’ the REVS-register,
they state the first MV beginning with chassis 13966 and the last MW with chassis 34796 but more im-
portant…no mentioning of CDB with quite a track on 5MV/MW and 7MW sold in Belgium and Luxemburg

ERF-Continental:
Regardless the fact (and with all respect towards the participants) that I don’t ‘trust’ the REVS-register,
they state the first MV beginning with chassis 13966 and the last MW with chassis 34796 but more im-
portant…no mentioning of CDB with quite a track on 5MV/MW and 7MW sold in Belgium and Luxemburg

Perhaps it’s just hopelessly out of date. I wonder if anyone is responsible for keeping it up to date and keeping a record of how they arrived at conclusions, so that mis-information can be challenged and altered. Robert :question:

Some information for this MV thread, some of which has been posted before elsewhere.

MV
Cabs fitted during production were 2MV, 3MV, 4MV and 5MV
2 and 4 MV had a forward set front axle.
3 and 5 MV had a set back front axle.

The MV cab was a Motor Panels steel cab, assembled by JH Jennings and usually supplied in ‘day cab’ form, but could be supplied with a sleeper extension, again supplied by JH Jennings. Some specials were built, including a bonneted version for South African Railways.

The first MV cabbed ERF is recorded as chassis 13263, a 2MV cabbed model 6.4 CU220 -10’1" wheelbase 4x2 tractor unit despatched ex Sun Works on the 28th Feb 1966 and destined for ERF South Africa.

The last MV cabbed ERF is recorded as chassis 23059, a 5MV cabbed model 6.8 CU310 of 18’ wheelbase 8x4 despatched ex Sun Works on the 4th Jan 1972 to I.S & P (New Zealand Dealer) for owner L.E. Elms & Sons and was registered GC3762.

Master parts list header for the MV cab (Later designated 2MV when the 3, 4 and 5 came along)

Special equipment list for a Normal Control (Bonneted) MV cab supplied to South African Railways…

And the list for the first set back axle MV cab, the 3MV…

Not many service bulletins seem to have been issued for the MV cab, but here is one of the more interesting ones…

I have left out the part number lists for these manuals as there are about 25 of them.
If anybody wants anything specific, I will try to oblige.

Thanks for posting all that, ‘ERF’. I found this picture by Dai Davies in his ERF history: would it be the bonneted South African MV you referred to? Robert :slight_smile:

robert1952:
Thanks for posting all that, ‘ERF’. I found this picture by Dai Davies in his ERF history: would it be the bonneted South African MV you referred to? Robert :slight_smile:

It would indeed Robert!.
Well done!.

More MV pics coming later (I’ve had the photo box out!)…

Some more MV pics from the ERF files…

2MV cab…

MV 001.jpg

2MV cab (early single screen)…

MV 003.jpg

4MV cab…

4MV cab…

4MV cab…