fuel accounts?

being new to the game and therefore having a new o’license i’ve had a continual stream of bumf through the door offering me this and that including fuel accounts from variouse firms touting prices for their fuel one of which claimed a price from the previouse week of 68p per liter! now thats a hell of a lot cheaper than i pay at the moment,i use my local bp garage purely because i already had an account with them when i started but at 86p pl plus a 2% surcharge for having it on account it’s obviously very expensive,the reason i didn’t follow up on the offer of cheap fuel was because the account required a fortnightly direct debit payment which i thought might become a problem as half the work i do is on thirty day accounts plus i thought the 68p was hard to beleave.
just wondering what you owner drivers are paying and if these accounts with fuel brokers are worth getting involved with?
the firm offering the cheap fuel was croft and basicaly they had about two hundred pumps nation wide that you could use i.e one pump at a garage with their sticker on it which you had to use to get it on their account.anybody use this firm or simular?

Paul, that’s probably 68p + VAT? :cry: Still cheaper, but not that cheap!

that 68p will definitely be +VAT, but it’s still a good price

68p + VAT = 79.9 at the pump - beats your BP garage by a lot :slight_smile:

the cynic in me however thinks that’s probably an introductory price which may creep up a little bit over time :wink: although I’ve had no dealings with that particular company.

the best price I’ve got at the moment is 71.95 this week :cry: from my selection of fuel cards :unamused:

The 2 week payment is a bit of a pain sometimes but it seems to be standard in the fuel card business - pity my customers don’t pay that quick, monthly invoicing and 1-3 months before I get paid :exclamation: ( although as most of my customers are repeats I add a little to the invoice for the ones I know are going to be slow :wink: )

What happened to all those get rich quick schemes, or should that be scams?

There were a couple of them posted on here.

I think a keyfuel type card probably gives the best overall prices, but i read that the fuelserv / dhl card was very expensive fuel.

I hold 4 fuel card accounts, Fuelserv, Euro Shell, Keyfuels & BP Routex. I phone them on a monday dinnertime and get prices for the following week, then use the cheapest. Payments are due 10 days following useage. Couldn’t survive without them really! I get loads of greif fueling up on my business credit card. I have been known to wait half an hour for authourisation!
At present the price ranges from 0.71- 0.76 ppl!

When i had my own motor I had a securicor fuel card, but found i could buy DERV cheaper than their price close to home using my personal credit card & get at least 30 days interest free credit.

Tramper:
I hold 4 fuel card accounts, Fuelserv, Euro Shell, Keyfuels & BP Routex.

I thought it was only me :confused:

I’ve got - Diesel Direct, Smartdiesel, BP Routex (From fuelserv) & EuroShell :open_mouth:

The cheapest card I had was IDS Kuwait Petroleum. I also had a 7,000litre tank in the yard and got bulk, that was a big saving. Do Kuwait still do cards and stuff?

It depends what kind of work you are doing.
If you are home every day or local and can wait until you get back then stick with your local garage.
If you are tramping then fuel cards are great for a number of reasons - authorisation, number of garages you can use, service station access without service station proces.
However we used to use just one fuel card - securicor and the price started off great and then went up 1p per week until we ended up paying a lot more then other people we knew with the same card. We also now use croft and get calls from both companies each week and use the cheapest or haggle!!! If it starts to creap up we have found that stopping using it suddenly triggers a phone call from them wondering why!!!
Make sure you always have enough options available - running out of fuel is not a good idea in this game - also saving a few pence per litre is worth it with the amounts we use.